1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish Chieftain

Just move the land unit to the coastal hex -- you already have the tech that allows you to embark. You unit will turn into ships and then back to land units when you disembark. Be careful, while at sea they are defenseless.

2. dfn

dfn Chieftain

I was unable to load your saves. Sorry, hopefully someone else can help.

3. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

After you discover optics, a unit has to spend a turn inside friendly territory (yours or an ally's) to get the Embark promotion. After you discover optics, all units START in friendly lands so they get the promotion immediately.

It mentions this in the description of Optics or something, but it's easy to miss. I see the question a lot, and it's a bit unintuitive.

Alright, here's my question:

I've tried searching for this stuff, but I can't seem to find a good thread about it.

Can someone explain to me the various factors involved in:
    • Rainfall - I gather this effects the number of marshes, but does it also change lakes and rivers, and stuff like grasslands versus plains? What's up?
    • World Age - From what I've seen others mention, an older world has less mountains and hills, and more forests and jungles. Is that all?
    • Sea Level - I'm unsure how this effects things, as Land Mass seems to effect the actual shape of lands more. Does this change lakes and rivers? Does it change amount of hills or something? I'm just kinda confused on this one.
    • Legendary Start - for resources, is this just like 'Abundant' but with even MORE resources?

Thanks, guys. I may repost this question in Strategy and Tips, for discussion stuff. I'm trying to get a map with a lot of rivers and smallish lakes, just for novelty, and was tinkering with settings. Also, I really dislike the brown forests and I really love grasslands and jungles, just as a visual taste, so I try to skew for that too. :p

4. Xger

Xger Chieftain

Rainfall: It affects number of desert and jungle, honestly not sure about number of lake/river, or grassland/plains.
    World age: You pretty much have it. The older the world, the more "settled" the terrain is. I think age also would dictate cows and sheeps, I believe it did previously in Civs at least.
    Sea Level: This is best seen on an Arcipeglo (I'm horrid at spelling, sorry :blush:). Low means considerably less 1-tile islands. I think it also just generally relates to the land/water ratio.
    Legendary: I loaded on once, and had 6-8 luxes within sight on load, so take that what you will.

5. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Do open border agreements provide economic benefits, like a gold bonus?

6. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

Nope. Unfortunately.

7. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Legendary start gives a bunch of resources, strategic, luxury, and bonus, around every player's start position, but not much of an increase over normal anywhere else in the world. Typically I've seen 3-4 different luxuries with at least one of them a triple or quadruple spawn within 3 hexes of the initial settler start.

8. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

But they do let other players send their military units to your territory and stopper up your worker's movements. Generally I'd consider them a net economic penalty.

9. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Even more reason for me never to sign them, they're so useless in this game. The only time I can think of when they're beneficial is if you're still looking for a natural wonder and it's in someone else's territory.

10. sg2009

sg2009 Chieftain

Thanks, vmax!
    I think I update the driver to DX11. Anyway, I attach my DxDiag.txt here...
    And if video driver is the real cause, is there still any chance I could change the text color by modifying some XML files? :confused:

Attached Files:

11. gravethrasher

gravethrasher Chieftain

Is there a "pause" button when auto end turn is on? cant seem to find a quick way to stop the game when something comes up.

12. civRome

civRome Chieftain

Hi, I'm new here, so I'm a little sorry for asking a question already -_-;;

With the basic map types, I understand the "Earth" map type spans like a globe (ie. there is no "edges" at the left-/right-most ends. Does this mean the other types (eg. "Pangia", etc.) have "walls" on left and right-most sides of the map?

13. Samson

Samson Warlord

I THINK Earth map is a map that looks a bit like the real world. All map types (as far as I am aware) wrap left / right.

14. Killovicz

Killovicz Chieftain

Hi g&g :)

How do I completely destroy a city to the ground, please?

I just conquered the Russians but I'm unable to raise their capital to the ground only "annex the city" & "make puppet"! And it's just in the middle of everything :(...

Is it perhaps meaning to not be able to raise city-states or capitals?

..if yes, is there a mod to counter this?

-------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance, Killovicz

15. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Correct, you are not able to raze capital cities. I don't know about a mod, but check the customization forum.

16. Killovicz

Killovicz Chieftain

Thanks a lot mate, but where is the customization forum?

I've been looking around the site but not able to find it..

------------------

Thanks in advance

17. dfn

dfn Chieftain

18. Killovicz

Killovicz Chieftain

Thanks a lot for your time and effort mate :) :),, I really appreciate it :) :)

19. Zdarg

Zdarg Chieftain

Thank you, it was really helpful. This limitation is counter-intuitive indeed.

Ok, I continued Washington game, researched compass and built a harbor in Boston. I haven't got a trade route again. :(

At least, this time I received "we love you" day in a city which wanted whales after allying with a city state who had whales. I am pretty sure I haven't got same bonus in my first game as Alexander (no save left, alas).

Another interesting thing is that dfn was unable to load from my saves. I can't imagine any reason for this except of us being in different regions. I am Russian and bought a localized version of the game (I am playing in English, though).
    If localized version is uncompatible with original one, it's a scandal!

20. Ogrelord

Ogrelord Chieftain

Can an archer unit upgrade to crossbowman and then directly to infantry without researching 'rifling' tech?