1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Ok, thanks for that. IMO a harbour should have additional commerce benefits, the current benefit seems way too poor. Even if in theory they represent a better investment than roads as far as trade routes are concerned, you still need to have your cities within the same landmass linked by roads for quick unit movement.

Additional questions:
    a) Building railroad on top of road: total of 2 gold maintenance (railroad cost) or 3 gold (road+railroad)? I ask because when building rail on top of roads workers do not ask for confirmation on 'replacing improvement', and you have the option to build a railroad right away without building a road first.
    b) Is there no way to tell a worker to 'build railroad to xx'? Do I have to manually tell him tile by tile?

Cheers!

2. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Another one about National wonders.. There is a very cool civic that doubles culture output in cities with a wonder in them. Do national wonders (i.e. oxford university) also count as wonders? I recall the civipedia listed them all together in the 'wonder' section, although someplaces they specify world/national.

3. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Many mods add a +1:c5gold: for water tiles to the harbor. Check out Thalassicus's balance mods, for instance.

a) total of 2 maintenance. Unlike replacing other improvements, replacing roads with railroads occurs when the worker finishes the railroad. The road is removed and the railroad placed simultaneously, and trade routes are not interrupted.

b) if you "build route to xx" after being able to build railroads, the worker will by default build a railroad, not a road. Occasionally the worker path finding goes wonky, particularly when replacing a long road with railroad, I've found. Personally I only use the "route to" function in a straight line when there aren't other units around (which can also divert an automated worker, when it's initial path becomes temporarily invalid).

National wonders count as wonders for this effect, yes.

4. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Thanks Clearbeard,

I had not considered the worker may be thrown off track while building the route by meddling units.. The route should be displayed in the map when you select the option, as it did in civ4, and the worker stop working if he could not advance beyond certain point (again, as civ4).

Cheers,

5. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Questions for someone who has the mongolian civ from the deluxe edition..

Are the UU promotions hopelessly broken there as well? It was exceedingly frustrating when I played them last weekend, and I can't imagine people not complaining about that if they paid the extra cash for the nicer edition

6. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

I would rather not use mods for this to be honest. I'm not sure the AI would appreciate the advantages it gives, it would give me an unfair advantage over them.

Related to mods, another couple of questions here.
    a) I have downloaded a couple of modded civilizations. But in order to play them it seems I have to play a special 'modded' scenario and cannot use them to play a regular game. Is this correct or am I missing something?
    b) When I play a scenario, i.e. the gengis khan one that came as free dlc, there is an extremely annoying counter on the top-central part of my screen. This is way too big and clunky, how can I remove it?

7. Mesopotamian

Mesopotamian Chieftain

Hi all,

i was wondering how can i view the entire world quickly
    i really miss the world builder in civ 4 where you can view the map easily, is there a way i can do so in CiV

i want to make sure of something by having a quick look

8. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I think you mean Babylon, Mongolia is free...

Modders can make the AI "appreciate" a building more by changing flavors.

When saving a game, there is an option to save the map. Then you can view the saved map in the world builder (it's a part of the modding tools).

9. Arvantis

Arvantis Chieftain

Hey there,

sorry if this question has been asked already - i have read this thread only till page 20 so far.

1.) Concerning national wonder prerequisites:
    do i have to keep the prereqs of national wonders constantly alive?
    Example:
    You have 3 cities with barracks and qualify for heroic epic.
    Later, you expand your realm with the 4th, 5th city - what happens with the heroic epic? does ist still exist (and work)?
    Do you need to rebuild it again if the prereq's arent fulfilled anymore?
    This question buggers me cause you i build my national wonders very late - until i have all cites settled i wanted.

2.) Concerning naval units + Great General:
    is there an option (or did i something wrong) that i cannot use the same tile with a naval unit and the GG?
    This is important if i want to make use of the GG in sea battles without moving hin in harms way (means: on an ocean tile unguarded by another naval unit).

THX!

10. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Once you have build the Epic it does not matter that you added more towns.

AFAIK you cannot occupy the same tile while embarked.

11. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

We'll just have to wait until they add a Great Admiral. :(

12. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

No, I mean Mongolia. It is free now, but it wasn't until a recent patch. I tried it out and found out the promotions for the UU were terribly broken, and I'm wondering if the Mongolian civ that came with the deluxe edition is exactly the same version Fraxis has released for free now.

Logically this should be, there is no reason to have 2 different versions. But that being the case I just find hard to believe this problem has not been addressed yet. It is a serious bug, and in premium content on top of that.

13. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

You have to set up and play the game from the mod menu, not the main menu, but you should be able to play most mods as "regular" games otherwise. Some mods make use of scenarios to implement some of their features that the community has not figured out how to do otherwise. You should still be able to play these as regular games, but all features may not work properly. Starting position issues (such as with the WoW map mod) are the most common instance of this I have seen.

As for the AI not knowing the advantages of a modded building, the base game AI seems pretty good at adapting its tactics. Or at least to the level of the more basic alterations that have been the focus of most mods so far. It will know, for instance, that if harbor gives +1:c5gold: per water hex, it is good for gold specialized cities, and will plan accordingly. In many balance and tweak mods I have used, the AI actually performs somewhat better than it does in vanilla, due to efforts on the modders' parts to take AI behavior into account.

14. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Really want to try new civs downloaded from civfanatics but..
    How on earth do I get rid of the annoying
    "Major civs to destroy:X
    Turns left:100"
    message that blocks a very large portion of my screen amongst other irritating features?

15. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Do great generals only give their healing bonus to adjacent tiles, or to the tile they're standing on as well?

In my experience it would seems like it's only the adjacent ones. Although that would seem like an odd thing.

16. clearbeard

clearbeard Chieftain

Do GG's have a healing bonus? I'd never noticed.

If you mean GG's combat bonus, it's all tiles up to 2 away, including their own tile. If you mean a medic's healing bonus, it's the 6 surrounding tiles, but not their own. If GG's count as medics too, as your post implies, I'd imagine it would only be the surrounding tiles, like regular medics.

17. Arvantis

Arvantis Chieftain

Apparently, the national wonders problem DOES occur.

I have just finished my national epic and then build another city with a monument.
    My national epic was completely GONE an i have had to rebuilt it.

My conclusion:

1.) You waste hammers if you build national wonders too early (too early means: if you will build another city).

2.) You will have to wait a very long time for the national wonders boost if you plan to build a large empire.

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Arvantis, are you sure you had finished construction of it?

If you hadn't finished construction of it, my understanding of what's supposed to happen is that it gets removed from the build queue, you probably get a brief message about how you can no longer build it, and the hammers put into it are actually stored but not visible to you. If you finish another monument, it should be able to be constructed again, and it should have the hammers you put in it from earlier.

If the above does not resolve the problem, can you please upload a gamesave and instructions on how to reproduce in the bug reports forum?

19. Xger

Xger Chieftain

Mongolia always has been free to everyone. The only paid DLC was Babylon.

How do you mean the promotions are broken?
    Are you loading the mongolian scenario each time? If you go to the mods section and hit set up game, chose a map and you should be able to use the DL'ed civs.

20. Alan McG

Alan McG Cannelloni

Horseman upgrades to the mongolian UU, which is ranged. The promotions I had with horseman were wasted (blitz in particular was bad to lose)

I'm not talking about the mongolian civ, I'm talking about the other ones available from modders (I have downloaded several from civfanatics, and others using the download option straight from civ5)

Cheers,
    Al