Quick Questions and Answers

This might be an outdated question, but I came across this in CFC's explanation about Civ V: "You can also use culture points to 'buy' tiles" --Gamespy

Was this abandoned? or have I missed something major? I never saw any mention of this in the manual and haven't noticed anything like that in the game. Was it something they were going to do but didn't...or am I just really out of it? :hmm:

This might be an outdated question, but I came across this in CFC's explanation about Civ V: "You can also use culture points to 'buy' tiles" --Gamespy

Was this abandoned? or have I missed something major? I never saw any mention of this in the manual and haven't noticed anything like that in the game. Was it something they were going to do but didn't...or am I just really out of it? :hmm:

I believe it refers to the way the cities expand naturally. You get a new tile after you accumulate enough culture points in that city. You can't choose what tile gets 'bought' next that way though (it will be one of those purple hexes in the city view). The use of those '-marks around the word "buy" could refer to that as well...

I believe it refers to the way the cities expand naturally. You get a new tile after you accumulate enough culture points in that city. You can't choose what tile gets 'bought' next that way though (it will be one of those purple hexes in the city view). The use of those '-marks around the word "buy" could refer to that as well...

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I was aware of the expansion from a city's culture, but the CFC's "Civ5 Confirmed Features and Versions" says:

"Borders now only expand at one hex at a time and more difficult terrain will take more time to claim (Swedish PC Gamer). You can use Gold to sped up this process, but that may bring you into conflict with surrounding Civs. GamerNode

You can also use culture points to 'buy' tiles Gamespy"

This seems to present "expansion" and "buying tiles" as two separate ideas. What confused me more, though, is the link from gamespy. If you click on it, you go to an interview with a gamespy editor who had just seen a detailed presentation about Civ V. He says:
"I also thought the fact that you can buy tiles with culture points, and direct cultural expansion exactly where you want, adds another drill-down layer..."

If he means expanding your borders through your city's culture, that's a strange way of putting it. I guess "direct cultural expansion" refers to buying the tiles with gold? I dunno, just seems like a convoluted explanation. There's no "buying" of tiles with culture points, only cultural expansion. I guess that's what he was trying to say; although I wonder if maybe he was just confused about how it actually worked. I mean, "buying tiles with culture points" sounds like a pretty specific idea...kind of far from your culture points causing border expansion. :deadhorse: Oh well, guess I've harped on this enough. Thanks.

Not sure what you are driving at, but you expand from culture or you use gold to buy tiles. I guess you could say you are buying directed culture. You can get policies to reduce those cost.

I'm not sure if this is really obvious, but is it possible to move your capital? Can you do it with a puppet?

I'm doing the No City Challenge, and I only have puppet cities, and I want to move my capital to the puppet I recently captured.

I'm not sure if this is really obvious, but is it possible to move your capital? Can you do it with a puppet?

I'm doing the No City Challenge, and I only have puppet cities, and I want to move my capital to the puppet I recently captured.

You move your capitol by building a palace in a different city. As you cannot control construction in puppets, you cannot move your capitol to a puppet city, you have to annex it first.

Also, if you're doing a one city challenge, I'm pretty sure you can't have puppet cities and still get credit, as then you have more than one city.

You move your capitol by building a palace in a different city. As you cannot control construction in puppets, you cannot move your capitol to a puppet city, you have to annex it first.

Also, if you're doing a one city challenge, I'm pretty sure you can't have puppet cities and still get credit, as then you have more than one city.

I'm doing a self-imposed 'No City Challenge'. You start the game as Germany, and delete your settler. You can't annex cities.

So I have already wiped out Egypt and Persia, and have five puppets, working on Rome.

Also, thanks for the answer!

What are the effects of changing what your city is building before it's complete?

You start something new, from scratch, just like in Civ IV. You can continue building it where you left of later.

You can also queue build orders and change the order of the queue.

You move your capitol by building a palace in a different city.

Mmmm no, I believe the only time the capital moves is if you lose your capital. The palace is not buildable. Also there isn't any benefit to moving your capital even if you could, there is no "distance to capital" penalties like before.

You start something new, from scratch, just like in Civ IV. You can continue building it where you left of later.

You can also queue build orders and change the order of the queue.

Not sure what you are driving at, but you expand from culture or you use gold to buy tiles. I guess you could say you are buying directed culture. You can get policies to reduce those cost.

Yeah, exactly what you said. Simple and clear--that's how it works. I'm actually pretty familiar with the whole process at this point; my original post was just because I thought I'd somehow missed something. All I meant in the recent post was that the feature guide refers to expansion but then adds the comment that you can buy tiles with culture points. I just thought this was a little confusing, unlike your clear and direct explanation.:)

I have a quickie regarding trade routes..

Trade routes give you money, ok. But..
a) How much money you get? What does it depend on? Has the formula been discovered already?

b) Are harbours and roads mutually exclusive?
I.e. say I have a harbour in my capital (coastal city) and then build another harbour in city B. Capital city and city B are in the same continent and also connected by road. Do I get an extra trade route here?

If the answer is no, then I take it 1 harbour per continent is more than enough, the rest being a waste of maintenance money (which seems very illogical to me).

I have a quickie regarding trade routes..

Trade routes give you money, ok. But..
a) How much money you get? What does it depend on? Has the formula been discovered already?
It depends currently only on the size of the city and is given by (1 + 1.25 * citysize). The size of the capital city doesn't matter (although it can be modded very easily so it does)
b) Are harbours and roads mutually exclusive?
I.e. say I have a harbour in my capital (coastal city) and then build another harbour in city B. Capital city and city B are in the same continent and also connected by road. Do I get an extra trade route here?

If the answer is no, then I take it 1 harbour per continent is more than enough, the rest being a waste of maintenance money (which seems very illogical to me).

You only get one trade route. Having both a harbor and road connection would only provide redundancy. For example, if an enemy unit is in the vicinity of the harbor city and blocking its route, then the road route would come in effect.

There can still be reason to use more than one harbor on the same continent. It shouldn't be hard to come up with possible scenarios of that if you consider that roads cost 1:c5gold: per tile per turn, and a harbor only 3:c5gold: per turn, and long distances / impassable terrain.

Also harbor to harbor connections count as railroad connections once it's discovered, making it possible to save even more gold because railroads are more expensive to maintain. And I haven't mentioned yet the bonus to ship building, which could be relevant in some cities.

So is there better information than the info center for CiV? It lacks a lot of the stuff I want to look at while at work. i.e. tech tree and all the units and their unlocking techs. Should I just download the manual?

So after finally finishing my first game of CivV and reading through the whole thread. There some questions still left for me.

• Is there a rundown of the config.ini etc out there. Explaining what the different items do and what the best values are. I saw that the files are commented but I´d like a more in detail variant.

• Can I somewhere autoselect a DX type and get rid of the ESRB(??) notice

• Are there random events like in CivIV?

• How can I play with random map size with more than 1 civ?

• Who changed the F keys, I reloaded my game numerous times because F12 is quickload now:mad:

• On the same note is there a good interface mod out that declutters the screen?

Can I somewhere autoselect a DX type and get rid of the ESRB(??) notice

While selecting the DX type you can right-click inside the window to create a shortcut for the DX type that you want to play. I don't know how to skip the ESRB notice.

Are there random events like in CivIV?

No (IIRC the random events were added in BtS).

Top Bottom