Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

That seems the most likely explanation, then. I've seen lots of reports of weird stuff occuring when older saves are loaded with the new patch. :rolleyes:

2. starrywisdom

starrywisdom Warlord

What's the thought process on the best civilization if you're playing in a 2player v CPU game for going straight science?

3. goyal

goyal Chieftain

I am unable to see the big icons on strategic/luxury resources. I have had this bug for quite sometime, but didn't bother much as the game was playable. But it is becoming harder to locate resources. Someone please help.

A screenshot is attached.

Attached Files:

4. Alex_K

Alex_K Chieftain

Just recently I've had problems getting embarked units to land, or land where I want them to. They keep wanting to go along the coast rather than actually land. Any idea why? Any fix?

5. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

I've noticed the same issue. I've also noticed that embarked units have to be "reminded" where they're going every now and then. They seems particularly prone to just stalling when transiting between land masses.

6. clearbeard

clearbeard King

It looks to me like you don't have them turned on. Click on the scroll icon (map options toggle) next to the mini-map, and check "resource icons" option.

7. lilsting10

lilsting10 Chieftain

Edit: Thought it would be better to have all my questions collected together rather than clogging up the boards.

1. I have lots of Egyptian Inflantory/Cavalry/Musketeers etc. And now that I have conquered the continent I am on, I am wondering how to get all of my troops over the seas, so that they can fight, say, Persia or England.

8. Keejus

Keejus Prince

They need to be able to embark.

You've probably researched Optics at this point, so if any unit doesn't have the embarkation promotion, just have them end a turn within your borders.

If they're across deep water, you need ocean embarkation, which comes with the Astronomy technology.

When you're ready to embark, just order your land units to move into water, and they will be able to cross. Be sure to protect them with your combat ships, though, as moving any naval unit into an enemy embarked unit automatically kills the latter.

9. lilsting10

lilsting10 Chieftain

Ah, thank you!
    I am in 1927 AD and ''finally'' got around the huge continent I'm on (I chose 12 civs, 24 city states and a 'huge' map). I'm stood on the brink of the 'Future Era', and Nuclear Fusion tech, and I suddenly realised I didn't know how to get my guys over to the other countries, haha!

10. lilsting10

lilsting10 Chieftain

2. I've just noticed as I built a Forge in one of the Japanese cities that I annex'ed into my empire, that I should have barraks for this city if I want the forge to work. I do not have barracks. Will the Forge kick into affect after I have completed building barracks, which I will do once forge completes?

3. To stop the above situation from happening again, is there a screen I can pull up which shows me exactly what a city has in it in terms of wonders/buildings?
    E.G. Athens
    Buildings:
    - Theator
    - Library

Wonders:
    - Hanging Garden

4. Why is it that when I load a previously saved game I am not at the point where I saved it? Earlier today I loaded the save I made last night, and I had to finish off the Ottoman takeover I had done-then-saved last night all over again.

Thanks. :)

11. Alex_K

Alex_K Chieftain

Ans. 2 The forge will reduce the time required to build units...but might not want to finish it until after the barracks are done as otherwise the units built won't get the barracks experience. The forge co$t$ money to maintain so want to get the max use out of it (and don't build it except in cities dedicated to making combat units).

Ans. 3 Yes. On the right side of the screen.

Ans. 4 Really? Maybe if you are using autosave names for save files it saves over after you saved it?

12. JaGarLo

JaGarLo Settler

One question about Industrial Era:

Before entering that era, all my muskets were trained in 4 turns or so. But when I hit Industrial, they were ready in 2 turns.

How is that possible?

- Is production boosted when I got to Industrial?
    - Or are all renaissance units cheaper now?

13. HitmanDan96

HitmanDan96 Chieftain

i just attacked a barbarian encampment, and won, but now i have a german brute.
    I thought they were barbarian only units?????:confused:

14. Kaihonsou

Kaihonsou Chieftain

What is the "strategic balance" option in the resources menu in advance setup?

Kai.

15. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

I think it gives everyone strategic resources near the capital.

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Chieftain

You must be playing the Germans. They have a special ability that sometimes gives them barbarian units when taking barbarian encampments.

17. HitmanDan96

HitmanDan96 Chieftain

ohhh that makes sense now, its kinda weird they can get barb only units though

:banana:

18. zekeand

zekeand Chieftain

Hi All!!! I´m having great time playing CiV in my free time.
    Here´s my question...
    Is there any way to make map anotations like Civ IV?

Thanks in advance
    Zeke

19. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Sadly, no.

20. dayfax

dayfax Chieftain

Do the Great Person's specific building (like the scientist's academy) need to be worked within a city radius to get their benefit? Or can it just exist somewhere within your borders?

I'm not wild about replacing :c5food: and :c5production: with a flat :c5science:. What's the strat for using these guys?

My first full game of Civ5, my empire often popped great merchants but I was never quite sure what to do with them, outside of conducting trade missions to city states. (And worse, I was never quite sure what was causing them to spawn so much. :blush:)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!