1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Chadwiick

Chadwiick Chieftain

Why can't my troops level up past level 3?

2. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

If they're fighting barbarians, their XP is limited to 30 I believe.

3. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Indeed. My favorite tactic is to choose a nearby city state that I don't want to have as an ally any time soon, and level up my troops bombarding and getting bombarded by the city, as CS's are not limited that way. It's remarkable how many highly trained troops you can get after a couple hundred turns of that.

4. Optional

Optional Deity

5. Optional

Optional Deity

Does the AI also build wonders outside their capital?

6. JohnBlack

JohnBlack Chieftain

Istanbul was captured by me before it was handed over to the British. Later in game, I recaptured Istanbul, hoping to liberate the city and bring the Ottomans back in the game. Why was I never given the option? How does liberation work?

7. clearbeard

clearbeard King

Sometimes, though they certainly seem to prefer their capitol as a building site.

Liberation of a major power, as I understand it, is an option the first and only the first time you capture a city that used to belong to a civ that is dead, and that you did not destroy. For instance, if England had eliminated the Ottomans, and you had captured Istanbul or any of the former Ottoman cities from them, you would have the "liberate" option listed with annex and puppet. Possibly, you cannot liberate a former capitol (odd as that may seem). Probably it would give you the option on capturing any of their cities further along, not only the first. Regardless, if you were the ones to kill off the civ, I doubt you can ever be the one to liberate it. Nice try though! It's not a feature I've used since the early days to try it out, so it's even possible the feature has been removed in a more recent patch. Because really, why would you ever want to bother? I guess if you're going for a diplomatic victory in a game without city states, just for kicks?

8. JohnBlack

JohnBlack Chieftain

Not really. I haven't played other people yet, so naturally I can afford to make certain "interesting" choices just for the sake of if. Call it "casual gaming", if you like. Civ is really like therapy to me.

Btw, is hot seat more taxing on your hardware than single player?

9. Dusk

Dusk Prince

Is there a way to make CiV remember my last game settings? It reverts to the standard settings every time I set up a new game.

10. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

No. Quite an annoyance, lets hope they fix it in a patch

11. Optional

Optional Deity

It doesn't remember what you put in when choosing advanced setup, but what you put in on the screen before that - not available when using mods, by the way - does get remembered by the game.

It's not much, though. I would love a button 'remember these settings' on the advanced setup screen.

12. Dusk

Dusk Prince

Or just always remember last game started like Civ IV did. (Why do they insist on removing features?)

I'll go rant in the rant thread. Thanks for the replies.

13. WFU03

WFU03 Chieftain

What's the best use of great people?

It seems like bulbing for scientists and using them in battle for generals, but is it really a golden age for all the others? Or am I missing something?

14. Dusk

Dusk Prince

Engineers can hurry wonders and you can use artists to get some tiles belonging to a neighbor if the tiles are worth it and within reach of your cities.

If it's early to mid game, at the latest, you can build their improvements. Note that the output gets doubled if you go full Freedom social policy.

15. Optional

Optional Deity

A Great Merchant can be sent on a trade mission to a City State, this bags you 500 or 600 gold - forgot the exact amount - immediately, + more influence with that city state.
    It's actually only Great Generals that I'm using for Golden Ages. Their effect doesn't stack, so I don't need more than one (although sometimes I'll keep two for a while if I have a multiple-fronted battle, but that's unusual).
    Remember that each Golden Age that gets triggered by a Great Person is a turn shorter than the previous one.

16. Ford

Ford Warlord

Sure, get a Mac. The Mac version keeps the last game settings.

:hammer2:

17. holyhell

holyhell Chieftain

Heres a question, when playing Community Call to Power mod, my game ALWAYS starts crashing when I get into mid-late game. I can't stop it other than playing the game in strategic view, which i hate doing.

Does anyone know a workaround this? or something I'm missing? I've lowered all the graphical settings to bare minimum (and my computer is a beast) so I have no idea why its doing it.

Any help would be awesome, I'm yet to finish a game due to this :( :( :(

18. anandus

anandus Errorist

Do you have the same problems when playing without mods?
    Of so, then I'd advise to play a smaller map (as I heard larger maps for some computers make it crash).

19. holyhell

holyhell Chieftain

no i don't, which is really really annoying.

and im playing on standard sized maps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats so small already! :(

20. anandus

anandus Errorist

Then I guess it's an issue with the model. Have a look in the correspondent topic, if there is one, if there is a solution.