Quick Questions and Answers

Hi. I am new to civ5, I don't know much about it other than that I have played it some and enjoy it, but it seems to me like there are a few steps backward from civ4. A couple of things are throwing me off a little with civ5.

1) I am not able to stack my units in cities. Is this something I am doing or not doing to make that happen?

2) I have played 3 scenarios so far and have never had enough oil or coal to make the really cool military units. I noticed that it wants to use a whole point of either oil or coal for each unit. In civ4 I would make dozens and dozens of bombers for instance, enough to put many in each city, where here in civ5, I typically have enough resource to build only a half dozen total before the resource is gone completely. What can I do to enable more reliable resources?

Thanks to anyone for their wisdom :)

1. In civ5, you can no longer stack multiple military or civilian units in one tile. You can stack a military and a civilian unit, however. For water tiles, you may stack an embarked unit and a military naval unit.

2. This is intended, any unit or building that costs a resource to produce costs at least one point. However, the requirements for the sheer quantity of units is much lower than it was in civ4, as you no longer need to create infinite stacks of death and should instead use the infinite carpet of death strategy.

Civ V migrated to a 1 unit per tile model, with only limited unit stacking (e.g., you can stack a civilian unit with a military unit on the same tile, and can stack a naval unit and an embarked land unit).

As for resources, as you note, in Civ IV you just needed a single resource tile to allow you to pump out an unlimited number of units that required that resource. In Civ V, each unit you build that requires a resource "uses" one unit of that resource. Not only does this mean you can't build more, e.g., Roman Legions if you don't have excess iron, but if you lose access to some of that iron (e.g., the iron mine is pillaged, you lose the city that has the iron mine, or your trade for iron expires and is not renewed), units you've built that require that resource will fight with a strategic resource penalty.

EDIT: Ninja'd :goodjob:

Is it possible for the income from trade routes to change before that route's turn expires? I don't know much about the specifics but I see that resource diversity increases the gpt. If I sent a cargo ship to a city with many resources I don't have and a few turns later those resources are pillaged, would it affect that route's income?

Now that the UI properly displays the adjusted tech cost, the research formula is easier to test. Civ5 does indeed divide by the total # of civs like DaveMcW suggested, but it also uses a 1/(1+x) relationship.

Given the following:
  • B is the base cost of a tech; i.e. the XML cost with map size, handicap, and gamespeed modifiers already applied
  • K is the number of known, living civs who have the tech.
  • T is the total number of living civs in the game.
  • M is the TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER global define (30 in unmodded game)
The adjusted tech cost, C is:
C = ceiling( B / ( 1 + floor( M * K / T ) / 100 ) )

or, prettier:

Some further examples are spoiled below.
Spoiler :

Prince, Huge, Standard speed game (1.3 modifier) with 12 civs.
Researching Gunpowder (B = 840 * 1.3 = 1092)
All civs still alive so T = 12.
Unmodded, so M = 30.

Here are the different costs for various numbers of known civs who have the tech:
Code:
K    C
--  ----
0   1092
1   1071
2   1040
3   1021
4    993
5    975
6    950
7    934
8    910
9    896
10   874
11   860
12   840

Note that the last entry doesn't really matter since at 
this point everyone in the game knows the tech.

Now for a similar game but with a total of 22 civs instead of 12:
Code:
K    C
--  ----
0  1092
1  1082
2  1071
3  1050
4  1040
5  1031
6  1012
7  1002
8   993
9   975
10  967
11  950
12  942
13  934
14  918
15  910
16  903
17  888
18  881
19  874
20  860
21  854
22  840

Finally, in that same 22 Civ game researching Chemistry (B = 1404)
C is 1338 if everyone's alive and 4 known civs have it (K = 4 and T = 22)
C drops to 1325 if 3 of the civs that don't have it are killed (K=4 and T=19)
C increases back to 1338 if one of the civs that did have it is killed (K=3 and T=18)

I changed "CIV5Technologies.xml",
and this formel isn't more correct ?!

marafon, difficult:8, two civ.,
Start...
research 7.425 will be 7.425
research 13.095 will be 13.095
research 63.180 will be 63.180
research 93.150 will be 93.150 ist ok ! but :

research 384.000 will changed to (minus ! ) -45.495
research 564.000 will changed to +134.504
research 2.511.000 will changed to (minus ! ) -65.979
research 3.321.000 will changed to (minus ! ) -114.972
research 11.169.000 will changed to +2.086

Why ??
what's wrong in the formel ??
C = ceiling( B / ( 1 + floor( M * K / T ) / 100 ) )

I changed just "B" and this can not make sth negative.
It see like sinus : +, -, +, - ...

Moderator Action: Please do not post the same content in multiple threads.

How does ice work in BNW? Meaning submarines and ice tiles. Usually when the enemy is under ice I can't hit them, but sometimes I can. I have not found a logic in this.
Also it seems that if both of your subs are on open water but there's ice in between then you can't shoot them either.

How about bombarding the subs with a battleship of missile cruiser - how does ice play in this respect?
Or melee attacking them with a destroyer while they're on an adjacent tile but under ice?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I like my military play and would like to know the ice rules.

1. How to disable (possibly by editing the. Xml files or some) in a cooperative mode together study of technology (research)? Their technologies must teach independently.

2. Is it possible to include in any way animated scenes with another civilization under the control of a second person in the multiplayer?

I'm playing a round CiV vanilla and I'm not sure whether to focus on production or food? I usually go for production and try to keep food above 0 but without food I won't get enough population. What would you suggest?

has anyone ever played a game with all the civs (including the player) using the same civ? like a mongol world? am i insane for wondering if i should try this?

@Dudu90 - I focus on production but until you reach size pop-10/13 I know you should really be focusing on food. It doesn't matter unless you play Emporer and above though.

@andreafin - Yes I have. No you aren't insane. Being psychic helps because Catherine denounces Catherine and the next turn Catherine declares war on Catherine you do get confused. You pretty much have to refer to the diplomacy menu every other turn or bluff your way through.

How does the tradition bonus apply to captured cities?

If I have three cities, and capture a fourth, will that city get the four-city tradition bonuses? If I then raze that city, and capture another, will what will then be my fourth city have the bonuses instead?

If I take an enemy city and raze it, do I have to pay maintenance on the roads that surrounded the city, even if after the razing they are outside of my cultural borders?

Two questions (G+K, if it matters):

1. Citadels: I know that if I end my turn next to one, I take some damage. But the AI left one nearby which has no unit in it. Can I just walk in and take it? Is it destroyed, or does it become mine?

2. Extra Range promotion for ranged units (archers, comp bows, crossbows, etc): To get to the extra range, do I need to get all of open terrain 1, 2, and 3 AND rough terrain 1, 2, and 3? So that the extra range promotion is the 7th promotion? Or can I just take rough terrain 1, 2, and 3 so that extra range is possible as the 4th promotion?

Is there a mod or a certain setting that would make combat animations quicker?

I don't like the standard 'quick combat' because that way I sometimes cannot see where the actions take place.

I have tried the Steam workshop 'quick airplane animations' but that doesn't seem to work. Artillery animations are also too slow when playing a domination game. Any help?

Two questions (G+K, if it matters):

1. Citadels: I know that if I end my turn next to one, I take some damage. But the AI left one nearby which has no unit in it. Can I just walk in and take it? Is it destroyed, or does it become mine?

You can only take the Citadel for yourself if you citadel bomb it to become part of your territory. But you can pillage an enemy citadel, which renders it inoperative (until repaired, of course).

2. Extra Range promotion for ranged units (archers, comp bows, crossbows, etc): To get to the extra range, do I need to get all of open terrain 1, 2, and 3 AND rough terrain 1, 2, and 3? So that the extra range promotion is the 7th promotion? Or can I just take rough terrain 1, 2, and 3 so that extra range is possible as the 4th promotion?

You just need to take level 3 of either the open terrain series or the rough terrain series -- you do not need both. If you beeline your promotions to take level 3 of either, then range can be your 4th promotion.

How research agreements works?
When It´s nice to do this?
Any tips?

Top Bottom