1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by joncnunn, Oct 21, 2014.

1. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

2. yanraabe

yanraabe Chieftain

Hi! I hope someone can help me finding the right mod: I'm trying to find a mod I saw used on youtube months ago. It's a tiny fix to make the deal screen easier to use: instead of typing in the amount of money (or money per turn), there are "+1", "-1", "+10", "-10", "+100", "-100" buttons, which saves time when dealing with the AI.
    I know it's not included in CQUI, and while this feature is included in "Concise UI - Deal Panel", this is incompatible with CQUI. Since it looked different and was used alongside CQUI, it must have been another mod. I'd love to be able to use it WITH CQUI. I hope someone can help me out with this! Thanks!

3. Guide-on

Guide-on Chieftain

In trying to learn how to mod, I think that I somehow renamed a needed file. I cannot load BE from steam or, to the best or may knowledge, play it off-line. How can I reinstall BERT without buying a new game?

Edit: I found out about verifying you mod on steam and it works now. (What's the emoji for embarrassed?)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. legalizefreedom

That's what learning is all about.

5. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Watching one of the BERT "Let's Play" videos on YouTube, the host built a worker or two and automated them. According to the wisdom of Civ players in other forums here at CivFanatics (for other games in the franchise), that's sub optimal. The choices of improvements that an automated worker will make are no better than the choices that the AI make. Automated workers in other Civ games usually stumble into danger if a war breaks out, and risk being captured.

Was this YouTuber just trying to avoid micromanagement, or is there little downside to automating workers in BERT?

6. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti The Don

How good is this game?

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's ok. Could have been great if Firaxis had continued to develop it.

8. Darsnan

Darsnan King

So if you get BERT (i.e. the base game with the expansion) on sale then its a good deal: BE by itself is a frustrating and incomplete wargame, and the leaders (and the game in general) has about as much depth as their one-pixel representation on the monitor, whereas BERT is a nice little game of exploration with very pretty graphics, with different biomes (lush,desert,ice,aquatic) that you can explore. Expanding on what hobbsyoyo said, I think if Firaxis had treated this more like a real AAA title (i.e. not just cloned it off of Civ 5) then it could've really been something.

D

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Honestly even with it being a Civ5 clone, it still could have been great if they had continued adding expansions and patches.

Darsnan likes this.
  10. Darsnan

Darsnan King

So here's a quick question from my end to everyone else out there who's put in some time on the game: what game settings give you the most challenging games? For me its the following:
    Planet: 82 Eridani, Small or Large Lakes
    Biome: Lush
    Domination Victory only
    Don't stagger starts
    No City Razing

D

11. legalizefreedom

I generally don't try for "most challenging". I'm more of the "fun challenge" mindset. That said I play on Soyuz and Terran with Frenzied aliens. All victories usually enabled. There is also a setting on the ruins mod where the most powerful expedition sites aren't visible until after a quest. I use that too.

12. vorlon_mi

I got exactly that -- both the base game and the Rising Tide expansion on a Steam sale last year, well after the initial hoopla after the release. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed Civ V. Though, to be fair, I only played Civ V before the 3rd expansion. I feel like I have to discover a lot about the game on my own by playing. That's in contrast to the strategy guides for Civ III and Civ IV that I found on this site, that have helped me organize my thoughts and sort out my short-term and long-term priorities. It's still fun, because all the technologies have futuristic names and the affinities allow me to take my tribe in different directions.

Darsnan and legalizefreedom like this.
  13. Joch

Joch Warlord

CIVBE can be as fun as Civ5 or Civ6, but it is really a question of what you are looking for.

Civ6 is polished and has lots of options, but all games feel to me like they are on rails. You know you start in 4000 B.C. on Earth and where you will ultimately end up.

BE is a true "sandbox" game. You can play on all sorts of planets, all sorts of environments and with the various "affinities" and wide open tech web, you can create some very exotic civilizations.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    vorlon_mi likes this.
  14. vorlon_mi

Soon I will get Civ6, but I agree with your observation about Civ5. One followed a very similar path to develop your empire in that game, which was very disappointing compared with the wide-ranging, continent-spanning empires that I built in Civ4 and especially CIv3. Dozens of cities, mounting invasions with combined air, navy, and ground forces -- one would literally take over the world, not just a few original capitals.

I agree about the affinities in BERT. I'm looking forward to trying each of the affinities with each sponsor, to see how to exercise their strengths and see all the variety of unit upgrades.

legalizefreedom likes this.