1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Homie1984

Homie1984 Chieftain

It is probably a very stupid question, but this seems to be the right place for it. I have just researched Architecture, and it is supposed to improve the yield of towns. How do I build a town? Civilopedia is not very good in explaining it. Or is it just a smaller city that i found with a settler?

2. YukiN

YukiN Prince

Towns are tile improvements you get from planting Great Merchants. Villages are improvements you build with workers.

3. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

And don't forget to put them on your roads, they will yield more gold and production!

vyyt likes this.
  4. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

You might now them as 'Trading Posts', in vanilla BNW.

5. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Aren't villages (not towns) the trading post equivalent?

vyyt, TranceBlossom and CppMaster like this.
  6. TranceBlossom

TranceBlossom Chieftain

If I declare war on someone I have declaration of friendship with, does the backstabber penalty with other civs last forever? Even civs I haven't met yet?

7. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

Do you still find this combination to be a pleasing and balanced setting?

8. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

Wow, you did some digging in my past :)

I do, but I am afraid that my opinion is barely relevant because I have very limited time to play and (therefore) I do not have much experience with any other settings.

I like the epic feeling of building the empire, fighting protracted just wars of attrition (= I rarely declare myself, but still end up conquering half of the world). I like a little bit of challenge, but I roleplay a bit. I often leave just the Dom victory on and I do not play to achieve any victory conditions.

It usually means that I lose interest in the current game in the Atomic or Info era, when things start to take too much time and/or I face no real competition.

So yes, I find my settings pleasing, I do not find any glaring disbalance (such as 1 civ shooting ahead by 10 techs in classical), but my requirements may be different from other players and I do not have much experience with other settings (I only alter the maps). Last time I checked, standard was too quick and my units obsoleted too quickly to enjoy the new weapon arriving to the battle and I did not feel any accomplishment when finishing a wonder and marathon was too slow for me. I like exploring the map and meeting many civs and fielding big armies, so smaller maps with not enough land are a no-no for me.

I will soon post in the other thread where we were discussing the game performance and CTDs in later eras. My current game with the above settings is proceeding flawlessly and I am in the Atomic era.

ryanmusante likes this.
  9. Favorius

Favorius I am not a Chief!

1. Civilopedia description of Observatory states city must be within two tiles of a mountain within borders. Rationalism policy (scientific revolution) states all cities can build observatories. When I unlock the policy, I can build observatories only in cities with mountains. Is it intentional?

2. Did cities get a buff to bombardment? Enemy city with 41 defence and God of War pantheon bombards my knight for 34 damage. I recently updated version to 11-9 and previously I remember cities bombard for 10-15 damage.

10. YukiN

YukiN Prince

All cities can build observatories on the more recent patches. Cities with mountains just get more science on the building itself. The civilopedia entry is outdated and can be reported as a bug.

vyyt likes this.
  11. Homie1984

Homie1984 Chieftain

Another question: I am currently playing as Russia on Prince difficulty (I am not very experienced yet) and doing well, but mainly because I have expanded early and have many cities. I have just reached industrial era. But what if I don't manage to grab enough land at the beginning and end up with 3-4 cities with no strategic ressources at the beginning. Is it also possible to be successfull with a small but "tall" empire and them expand later when I discover coal in my territory? In terms of keeping up with ressearch, kulture and army? What would be the strategy for that?

12. YukiN

YukiN Prince

This should not be difficult if you adjust accordingly. Here's CrazyG's Diety playthrough that you can reference: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/korea-photojournal-attempt-2.635532/

13. Vastator

Vastator Chieftain

Do captured wonders count toward new wonders penalty construction?

14. pza

pza Prince

afaik yes.

15. Homie1984

Homie1984 Chieftain

What is the exact impact of higher difficulties? I've read that in this mod the AI doesn't get free techs etc. So what do they get?

16. YukiN

YukiN Prince

They get more promotions to units, more initial units, including a worker on Immortal and Diety but no settler, and bonus yields that are spread out over the course of the game. I believe they also get a higher supply cap and more happiness.

Decision making is also improved. On lower difficulties the AI randomly chooses between the top two or three options but at high difficulty, it always chooses what it evaluates as best.

vyyt likes this.
  17. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

vyyt likes this.
  18. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 King

Recently, I picked Holy Land for one of my games' Reformation for the first time. The texts says 1 additional delegate for every 2 Holy Sites or 2 Landmarks I own. If I have 2 Holy Sites and 3 Landmarks, should I be getting 1 delegate or 2 delegates? I realize that there's a difference between A or B and A and/or B so I want to check. Thanks!

19. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

You should be getting 2. If you aren't, double check the amount of delegates from other sources, it might not be where you expect it.

20. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Yeah it's a weird wording it should be for each 2 holy sites or each 2 landmarks.