Quick Questions / Quick Answers

They should also help with World Religion too, since if you got their holy city you can either take over or completely eradicate their religion. Overall it seems like they mostly vote in line with you but I'm not sure if that is necessarily forced or just because your interests end up aligning.

How do I stop enemy spies from stealing my techs? I put a level 1 spy in my city and it never kills the thief, no matter how many times i reload. I'm leading the tech race so, how do i level up my spy? can i put it as diplomat in another civ and it will level up? I build constabularys, walls, castles and armorys to no avail, the theft continues. I also put new randon seed in game options, and it not help, what are really the odds for the kill? please help! i'm using vox populi with all modules installed normaly

Last edited:
How do I stop enemy spies from stealing my techs? I put a level 1 spy in my city and it never kills the thief, no matter how many times i reload. I'm leading the tech race so, how do i level up my spy? can i put it as diplomat in another civ and it will level up? I build constabularys, walls, castles and armorys to no avail, the theft continues. I also put new randon seed in game options, and it not help, what are really the odds for the kill? please help! i'm using vox populi with all modules installed normaly

You do level spies by sending them as a diplomat and return them to the capital once they are level 3. Level 1 spy is pretty useless when it comes to defenses. Even with level 3, you will still get some enemy spies succeeding but the odds are lower. Being the tech leader does make you a juicy target for sure.

EDIT: there are also some policies that slow down enemy spies so they won't be as effective

What is the correct number of workers to build? Generally I build 1 per city but I am starting to feel that’s not enough. I usually get roads connected late and never have extra workers to chop.

What is the correct number of workers to build? Generally I build 1 per city but I am starting to feel that’s not enough. I usually get roads connected late and never have extra workers to chop.

1 per city is enough, remember that it can only work as many tiles as you have pop. If you went Progress you can even get away with a little less than 1 per. Getting roads connected early isn't that important, it costs more than you get back, but if you want to get things going a little faster you can build workers before the settler that will build the city it'll go to. So you have temporary excess workers that can make things go a bit faster.

My question is why are you chopping? I rarely ever chop except when needed for a resource.

Anyone having any issues with starting bias? I'm trying to play as the Huns, but literally every single start puts me dead-center in the middle of the biggest forest or jungle on the entire map, which is the exact opposite of what should happen.

Edit: Figured it out. I had the advanced setup mod installed and was previously playing as the Aztecs. For whatever reason this mod wasn't quite working properly and I was getting the Aztec's starting bias as the Huns. Once I started a game without the mod, boom, not a single tree to be found.

Last edited:
1 per city is enough, remember that it can only work as many tiles as you have pop. If you went Progress you can even get away with a little less than 1 per. Getting roads connected early isn't that important, it costs more than you get back, but if you want to get things going a little faster you can build workers before the settler that will build the city it'll go to. So you have temporary excess workers that can make things go a bit faster.

My question is why are you chopping? I rarely ever chop except when needed for a resource.

Hmm building the worker before the settler sounds like it may be enough. I don’t build roads early. Usually just after I unlock villages, which i feel should be improved so that I can start building villages instantly. As for chopping, isn’t it a good idea to chop tiles you know for sure you will never work?

Despite how the graphic looks, the Great Wall encompasses your entire border.

Hmm building the worker before the settler sounds like it may be enough. I don’t build roads early. Usually just after I unlock villages, which i feel should be improved so that I can start building villages instantly. As for chopping, isn’t it a good idea to chop tiles you know for sure you will never work?

I build roads earlier than villages almost always and 1 per city has always been fine for me. Just prioritize the important tiles, your cities can only ever work as many tiles as they have population. Note that this can change for certain civs. The Huns for example end up with so many extra tiles and can settle so far apart from each other you'll want extra to be able to connect roads and build the UI all over. So ultra-expansionist civs like Shoshone, Russia, Huns or ultra-tall civs like India can sometimes want extra workers early on to quickly build infrastructure. But the standard is still definitely 1 per city in general, slightly less for progress.

I mean, if you are 100% super duper sure you won't ever work them, then yes cut them down. But that shouldn't happen very often except with tiles outside of your workable radius, forest/jungle tiles are really good and your cities will probably end up big enough to work them at some point. And you don't need to do it early, save it for the post-Medieval slowdown when you've already unlocked and built almost all the improvements and your workers are sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for railroads.

If you build workers soon, then 1 per city is enough. But if you took your time (did you have some plantations?) to start improving the terrain, you might be a bit late and will need some extra temporary workers.
Simple rule, are almost all of your citizens working on improved tiles? If not, then you need more workers. Things like natural wonders, great people tile improvements or sea resources change your needs.

Despite how the graphic looks, the Great Wall encompasses your entire border.

But if you have five cities all connected by 1-tile wide roads (or 2-tile, etc) and build the Wall in the middle (like the capital) the AI makes a decision of what to enclose, excluding a lot of territory. I'm trying to get a handle on how to predict what it will and won't enclose..

But if you have five cities all connected by 1-tile wide roads (or 2-tile, etc) and build the Wall in the middle (like the capital) the AI makes a decision of what to enclose, excluding a lot of territory. I'm trying to get a handle on how to predict what it will and won't enclose..
Not sure if I understand. I have always thought that ALL your territory is included - no exclusions, regardless of how your cities are connected or disconnected. Or are you talking about the graphics?

As far as I understand, the graphic doesn't matter for the actual mechanic. ALL of your borders gain the Great Wall effect.

As far as I understand, the graphic doesn't matter for the actual mechanic. ALL of your borders gain the Great Wall effect.

Well that's a small issue, because say twenty turns after it's built, your borders have expanded beyond the original enclosure, and then you can't tell the difference. You know what? Forget I asked, it's a quibble of tribbling significance but I only now came to my senses.

Well that's a small issue, because say twenty turns after it's built, your borders have expanded beyond the original enclosure, and then you can't tell the difference. You know what? Forget I asked, it's a quibble of tribbling significance but I only now came to my senses.
There is no difference.

Your borders expand, but even the newly acquired territory is affected by the Great Wall. If you are bothered by the graphics, just save and reload and the graphics will update

FWIW, map-graphics changes like that don't update until you restart the game, it just so happens that under normal gameplay circumstances Great Wall is one of (if not the) only thing to cause noticeable issues. But if you use In Game Editor to change the location of natural wonders they also won't update, because as is the case with Great Wall there is no in-game trigger to tell the game to update the graphics.

What does "no target restrictions" mean for Venice trade routes? Does that mean that Venice can send 5 trade routes to the same city?

Top Bottom