1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions , Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by TaylorItaly, Jul 18, 2019.

1. tmv

tmv Emperor

Be careful with this if the drive is an SSD.

billw2015 likes this.
  2. Unmei

Unmei Chieftain

Well over a year ago, around the time the original v.38 released. That said, my current game is a week old clean install, so I don't think the issue pointed out by Toffer is a factor.

I have the full repository stored in one folder which I keep updated, then use 'Export versioned items' to make a (new) copy in the C2C folder whenever I think the SVN has had enough significant updates to warrant it. I figured if I don't export a clean folder, I'd potentially end up with out-of-date files that can negatively affect the mod.
    Although to be fair, the install instructions on the first page of the SVN Changelog topic seem to indicate that this creating a new folder every time you update is exactly what one is meant to do. It explicitly links to this post which tells you to do precisely that.

I was actually about to mention that. While I appreciate the advice, in my case that would do more harm than good :p

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah I think that's terrible advice imo but we've had a lot of internal team disagreements on that.
    Did not know that. These SSD drives are newfangled things to an aging guy like me. I haven't done a defrag in a long time but I never was all that good at doing them. Is this something you're not supposed to do anymore?

4. Unmei

Unmei Chieftain

Alright, so I can just either keep the SVN itself in the C2C folder, or overwrite the copy in the BtS mods folder with the export whenever I update? I'll give that a shot then.

Nope. The basic gist is that, due to the way SSDs work, the sectors on a SSD have a limited number of writes. Once that limit has been reached, you can still read the info on that sector (i.e. recover it), but you can no longer write new info to it. In essence your storage capacity becomes lower for the drive.

That said, for most consumers this will never be an issue, it mostly affects servers that are constantly writing to their drives. But defrags move info around on sectors a whole lot and can significantly hasten the degradation, especially on smaller drives.
    Not to mention due to the way SSDs work, combined with their speed, defrags are no longer necessary anyhow.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The thing is, an update will remove files that are supposed to be removed, whereas an overwrite will only add and edit files that are being overwritten and will never remove files that need removing.
    Dang... good to know. I have already run out of space on my SSD and had to move bunches of stuff to the D drive and so basically I really need to stop downloads from going to the C drive right away to keep this from being a problem. hmm... what a PITA but at least it's faster right?

6. billw2015

billw2015 King

No, limited writes means like a million, normal users should never have to worry about it, just use it exactly how you normally would other than not de-fragging it.

7. Unmei

Unmei Chieftain

Alright then, just to make this absolutely clear for myself: the best way to keep the mod up to date is to keep the SVN repository in the mod directory itself. This way my BUG settings won't get lost and whenever I update, I won't have to worry about out-of-date files causing issues. Am I understanding this correctly?

As for the SSD issue: indeed, don't worry about it. Unless you are somehow constantly writing (we're talking 24/7 non-stop writing here, like servers do) to your drive, your SSD will almost certainly outlast every other part of your rig. It's just that the act of defragging puts enormous stress on the drive and it's simply not necessary anymore. But beyond that, no need to lose any sleep over how you use your drive. I only have a single 1TB SSD in my current rig and even after 5 years of fairly intensive use, the drive's health is still at 100%.

8. billw2015

billw2015 King

Yeah this is correct, and the best way to do it.

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

10. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

How do you find a tile's latitude and longitude now? Shift-mouseover just shows every single map resource each on a new line, so anything else that may be there is instantly scrolled off the screen.

11. Harrier

Harrier Deity

With regard to disk drives. I have a hybrid Seagate FireCuda SSHD, that has standard HD and SSD on the same drive. I usually defrag once a week, should I stop doing that or reduce it to once a month say?

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I think it requires chipotle.

13. Harrier

Harrier Deity

Yes - press the Shift key.and click the tile.

14. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Not for me. Shift-click gives a 'context menu' relating to units present or selected. Chipotle is enabled.

Shift-mouseover used to give it, but some junk about resources has apparently been added to it, so that none of its worthwhile information can be read.

Osk21 likes this.
  15. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

Is having a huge income working as intended? On v40.0.608-alpha I have +1660 gold per turn on 100% tech at the end of classical era. 562K in my treasury already.

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Using Eternity Game speed this is unavoidable. Actually any Game speed slower than Marathon (8,000 turns) has this problem. Add in maps larger than Huge and it is compounded.

17. Blazenclaw

Blazenclaw eccentric eclectic

I've had this happen on snail/standard; it's not endemic to slow/large maps, just easier to happen in them. It would probably be good for #-of-city maintenance costs to be significantly increased, both to address this and help reduce the world-conquered-by-classical-era situation that often comes up now, though I think Thunderbird said some people were against increased maintenance?

18. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I think maintenance factor from number of cities should be faster than linear, so for example 2x more cities means 4x higher maintenance from amount of cities.

Blazenclaw and billw2015 like this.
  19. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

What does "taunt" do? Is this new to C2C? I don't remember it from BTS. I've seen promotions that provide taunt chance.

20. Blazenclaw

Blazenclaw eccentric eclectic

Fairly sure it makes a defender more likely to defend the stack, but not entirely certain. If someone knows better, please correct me

Definitely agree with something like this; why hasn't it already been implemented anyway?