R.I.P. Tony Benn

bhsup

Deity
:salute:

I confess I didn't know of him until I read about his death this morning on BBC News. That said, he sounds like he was (even if his politics were almost certainly diametrically opposed to mine) a dedicated lifelong servant. It sounds like the UK lost a truly great statesman.

Labour stalwart Tony Benn dies at 88

This last quote from him really stuck and I wish more politicians heeded it.
"You look back and, when you're in a critical mood, you see you made errors of judgement. But as long as you say what you believe and believe what you say - that's the test of authenticity."

He certainly seemed to have believed in what he said.

But although I was quite fond of hearing him, in his later years he sometimes said some silly things.

He was also responsible, it is said, for helping keep Labour out of power for 17 years. And if he'd achieved the deputy leadership, some say he could have destroyed the Labour party completely.

Neither of which were what he was aiming for, I think.

Certainly the politician I admired most of all, despite his occasional bouts of aristocratic political eccentricity - an intelligent and decent man whom this country will greatly miss.

A plaque Tony Benn placed secretly (and illegally) in a broom cupboard in the House of Commons for suffragrette Emily Davison:

And from 'Letters To My Grandchildren':

RIP Tony Benn

Tony Benn quote: "It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you."

Top Bottom