Raliuven SG3.5 Regent

How is it possible that there is a computer in existence without C3C loaded?!? This is clearly a violation of it basic rights as an artificial intelligent entity . . .:D

Turns out it was just the power supply, not the motherboard. When I connected the new power supply I did not connect the main 20-pin connector snugly enough. (Learn from my fail).

Working on a strategy post now.

Despotism
000% Tax
100% Science
000% Luxury

440 gold, -8 gpt

Construction in 11 turns.

City Builds
  1. Babylon (4) vSword in 5, grows in 1.
  2. Red Bulls (4) settler in 5, grows in 5.
  3. There Is No Cow Level (4) settler in 4, grows in 1.
  4. Mount Ellipi (6) vSwordn in 2, grows in 5.
  5. Seaside Shores (4) vSword in 3, grows in 1.
  6. Mr Ed (4) vHorse in 4, grows in 9.
  7. Iron Range (4) vBowman in 5 , grows in 2.
  8. Red Snappers (2) harbor in 16, grows in 3.
  9. Red Man Tobacco (2) granary in 7, grows in 8.
  10. Silky Red Pajamas (2) courthouse in 69, grows in 9.
  11. Shuruppak (1) barracks in 35, grows in 5.
  12. Sippar (1) barracks in 37, grows in 7.
  13. Indian Food (1) granary in 22, grows in 8.
  14. Forest Clearing (2) barracks in 11, grows in 10.
  15. Corse (1) worker in 4, grows in 1.
  16. Backwater (1) worker in 10, grows in 10.

01 Settlers
21 Workers
07 Warriors
02 Spear
01 Sword
22 Bowman
02 Curragh

Current Units: 56
Allowed Units: 64
Support Costs: 0 gpt

Compared to Korea (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Mongols (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Carthage (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Englad (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Spain (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Portugal (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Vikings (Despotism) we are Strong.
Compared to Ottomans (Despotism) we are Strong.

Resources
01 Horses are connected.
01 Iron is connected.

Luxuries
01 Spices are connected.
01 Silks are connected.

City Count
16 Babylon (Ralivuen 3.5 people)
10 Carthage
10 Mongols
10 Portugal
09 Ottomans
09 Scandanavia
08 Spain
07 England
06 Korea

Wonder Races Report
  • The Temple of Artemis
    • Karakorum (7), Mongols
    • Carthage (?), Carthage
    • London (?), England
    • Seville (?), Spain
    • Lisbon (?), Portugal
    • Istanbul (?), Ottomans
  • The Mausoleum of Mausollos
    • Barcelona (?), Spain
  • The Great Library
    • Opporto (?), Portugal

Plans
The Red Nation will rule the world by 1415 AD.
No other colors allowed.
Be red or be dead.

Random Notes and Tasks
We can revolt to Republic. Since we are REL we will have only one turn of Anarchy. As a Republic, our unit costs will increase dramaticlaly. We'll go from zero upkeep to 80 gpt, and in turn we would net -88 gpt instead of our current -8 gpt. We would have to drop science down to 20% to avoid negative cash growth. Our cities will grow, but I'm not sure how fast they will grow to size 7 and support more units. The first turns in the new government will be sort of wild. Despite the cash flow problems, I think we should make some trades, get as much cash as we can and then revolt to Republic.

We do have trades we can make, gaining Literature (an optional tech), Currency and Polytheism. That leaves us with just Construction before we leave the Ancient Times. With Literature we can build libraries for more science and Currency allows us to make Markets. We need more luxuries before the market happiness really impacts us, so their need is not immediate.

The next closest luxury are the Wines of Bergen.

Our settler is 1S of Babylon. I would like to place our next city on the hill SW of Indian Food, which is next to a Sugar and a bunch of flood plains. In this area are scads of flood plains, 16 if I counted correctly, and three hills for cities. The cities won't be productive, but they could help offset unit costs and be science farms. Plus, this would block off easy AI land access to the grasslands to our NW. We would know when we were being tresspassed. We have a roading stack near Indian Food, so we could get a couple of tiles roaded before the settler arrived.

We haven't yet decide when to begin our conquest of the world, but once we get into Republic we will be ready to rumble. I favor the Vikings as our first target. I don't think we are ready to attack just yet, however. They have wines and are rather backwards. They lack Philosophy. Their cities are close to ours and growing, so they won't autoraze when we capture them. They are still small, so we can manage the flip risk easily. And it looks like they are based in a bunch of grassland, not plains.

Next tech: Construction -> Engineering (bridges).

We could trade our techs around for some gold, but we could also lower our science rate just a bit. Not all the way to 20%, but maybe to 60%? We're still researching at a somewhat decent rate, and we aren't losing as much money. I can't check what it would be now, but that's my suggestion.

I agree with the Vikings being target numero uno. The wines will help in terms of luxuries, and it's good to have a reason in mind when warring. We could aim directly for the wines and some surrounding cities, and once we have them make peace, or we could just try and smash them once and for all. They only have 9 cities compared to our 16, so we definitely could smash them if we churned out enough units. That would do a doozy on our unit support, though.

We should give the Vikings Republic before we conquer them -- that will prevent them from pop-rushing defenders in their cities, dropping them to size 1 just before we take them (hello autoraze!).

We should give the Vikings Republic before we conquer them -- that will prevent them from pop-rushing defenders in their cities, dropping them to size 1 just before we take them (hello autoraze!).

That's just mean! I like it! :devil:

I agree, Vikings are pretty annoying. Be red or be dead? I think we'll make them red when we make them dead. Sounds like a compromise to me! We are such an enlightened republic!

Do we want them in Republic when we attack or do we want to sucker-punch while they are in Anarchy?

Turns played; details to follow.

Feedback: Vikings are target #1. We want to trade them Republic, let them revolt and then attack while they can build no units.

0 1000 BC

Sell Republic to Portugal for Literature, Currency and 16 of 37 gold.
Sell Republic to Mongols for Polytheism and 307 of 307 gold.
Sell Literature to England for 50 of 50 gold.
Sell Literature to Spain for 37 of 37 gold.
Sell Literature to Ottomans for 29 of 29 gold.
Sell Literature to Carthage for 25 of 25 gold.
Sell Philosophy to Korea for 2 of 2 gold.

Portugal has 21 gold but we have nothing to sell them.

We have all the rest of the gold in the world.

We have 906 gold pieces in our treasury.

Move some workers and such. Settler arrives Iron Range.

We fall into Anarchy as we head for Republic.

Hire a clown in Mount Ellipi to keep the local yokels from staging a sit-in.
[IBT]
Preboot from England over out little red rowboat.

Korea is building The Mausoleum of Mausollos (Philosophy).
Spain is building The Great Library (Literature -> Education).
Ottomans are building The Great Library.

1 0330 BC

Hire some temporary taxmen in Babylon, Red Bulls, There Is No Cow Level and Seaside Shores to keep the masses happy.

Start some roads. Move settler and Bowman SE.
[IBT]
We become a Republic.

2 0310 BC

We have 914 in gold, -80 gpt, Construction in 6 and 100% science.

Fire our taxmen.

Raise luxury rate to 20% to keep the cities functioning. Science falls to 80%, Construction in 7, -88 gpt, 914 in gold.

Backwater is connected.
[IBT]

3 0290 BC

England knows Monarchy, a monopoly tech at the moment.
[IBT]
Mount Ellipi: vSword -> vSword in 5.

4 0270 BC

Our rowboat has left England and is now trespassing on Spain at Santiago.
Other rowboat finds Faro, Portugal.
[IBT]
Preboot from Portugal.
Preboot from Spain.

There Is No Cow Level: settler -> settler in 5.
Seaside Shores: vSword -> vSword in 5.

Korea is building The Temple of Artemis (Polytheism -> Education.).

5 0250 BC

Spain knows Construction; we learn it in 3 turns.
If we sell Republic, we can get Construction and 15 of 15 gold.
Or we can buy Construction for 602 of our 648 gold.

We sell Republic to Spain for Construction and 15 of 15 gold.

We enter the Middle Ages, getting Feudalism as our Free Tech.

Start on Engineering, 12 turns at 80%, -94 gpt, 663 in gold.

Drop science to 40%, Engineering in 22, -45 gpt, 663 in gold.

Send Swords towards Red Man Tobacco, which looks like our jumping off start to take down the Vikings.

Babylon: vMace in 4 -> Library in 4.
Mount Ellipi: vMace in 4 -> Library in 4.
Silky Red Pajamas: Courthouse in 32 -> Library in 12.
[IBT]
Red Bulls: settler -> settler in 5.
Mr Ed: vHorse -> vHorse in 6.
Corse: worker -> library in 40.

Palace Expansion: we opt for the red building. Cannot tell if it has a front door or not.

Massive uprising near Corse.

Volcano on the west end of our land is now active.

6 0230 BC

Portugal and Spain have entered the Middle Ages. We can sell them Feudalism.

We find Sevile of Spain.

Drop luxuries down to 10% for a turn or so.
[IBT]
Iron Range: vBowman -> vBowman in 5.

7 0210 BC

Luxuries back up to 20% to keep Mount Ellipi happy.

Miss Scarlet grabs a sugar and some flood plains in the southwest.

We find Salamanca of Spain, by land.
[IBT]
Volcano erupts out west, so we are told.

8 0190 BC

We find Lisbon, Portugal.
[IBT]
Babylon: Library -> vPike in 5.
There Is No Cow Level: settler -> settler in 5.
Mount Ellipi: Library -> Market in 10.
Red Man Tobacco: Granary -> Library in 10.

Vikings are building The Great Wall (Construction -> Metallurgy).

9 0170 BC

Light Bay Horses is on a Horse site, 3SW of Red Snappers. It is coastal.

We find Madrid, Spain, on the coast.
[IBT]
Red Bulls: settler -> settler in 5.

Ottomans are building Mausoleum of Massollos (Philosophy).

10 0150 BC

Have some guys in white clothes riding Horses near Shurrupak and Indian Food.

Corse is connected to Babylon by road.
[IBT]

And the save is attached.

Handoff and Notes
We added two new cities, Miss Scarlet with the flood plains and to the NW, Light Bay Horses. Both are connected.

Barbarians
The great uprising was around Corse, but that area has been quiet. We do have three Barb Horses that will give us fits on the IBT. One can attack Indian Food (vWarrior defends) and two more can attack Shuruppak (vBowman defends). I've sent another vBowman towards Shuruppak but it did not make it to the city. It can be attacked, depending upon the mood of the AI.

Sun Tzu ?
We haven't discussed what wonders we want, but in a conquest game this one seems to be a no-brainer. We can either build it or capture it. It will cost 600 shield to build. Our most productive city is Mount Ellipi and it nets 10 spt, so building it right now is probably out of the question. However, we are also the only people that can build it! :crazyeye:

war Weariness
One overlooked factor of WW are units inside enemy territory during the IBT. These add up and can cause problems. Since we are a Republic, we want to minimize that time as much as possible. Our UU only moves 1, which is not so good. And to some extent we cannot avoid the problem, though we can be aware of it and try to dance around it. We could learn Chivalry, which gives us Knights. We can currently build Horses (30 shield, 2.1.2) which upgrade to Knights (70 shields, 4.3.2). Knights upgrade to Cavalry (80 sheilds, 6.3.3).

Do we want to beeline to Military Tradition for Cavalry or learn Chivalry for Knights first?

Both Military Tradition and Chivalry are optional techs.

Embassy Costs
Korea: 41 gold
Carthage: 81 gold
England: 60 gold
Spain: 135 gold
Portugal: 77 gold
Scandanavia: 34 gold
Ottomans: 56 gold
2 unmet civs

In order to protect ourselves we will probably want to sign everyone we can to an MA vs Scandanavia when we are ready to roll. But we need embassies to sign MAs.

Settlers
3NW-1N of Mr Ed, on an isolated hill with Iron, ready to become a city; vBowman.
1S of Seaside Shores; heading someplace westward.
Inside Babylon; destination unknown.

The settler inside Babylon I had planned to send down towards the flood plains, but the barbarian uprising has delayed that plan a bit.

I'm not sure if the Iron hill needs to be a city site or not. I like cities on hills because of their extra defense but that should not be a factor in this area. If it needs to move, then move it.

Worker Tasks (west to east)
1SE of Miss Scarlet: 3 workers, ready to road a flood plain; vBowman defending.
2SW of Light Bay Horses: 2 workers just started a road; vBowman.
2NW of Mr Ed: 1 worker making a road, 2 turns; vBowman.
1NW of Iron Range: 1 Worker and 1 slave making a road, 1 turn; vBowman.
1SE of Babylon: 1 worker ready to road.
1NW of Corse: 1 worker ready to road; eWarrior.
1NE of Sippar: 1 worker roading, 3 turns.
2E of Babylon: 1 worker roading a hill, 6 turns.
1SW of Mount Ellipi: 3 workers on a mountain ready to road.
1S of Mount Ellipi: 1 worker, chopping a forest (market build), 2 turns.
2N of Mount Ellipi: 2 workers, roading a hill, 2 turns.
1E of Forest clearing: 2 workers, roading a forest (prior to chop), 1 turn; vBowman.
1SE of Red Man Tobacco: 2 workers, chopping a forest (library build), 2 turns.
1SW of Silky Red Pajamas: 1 worker, choppping a forest (library build), 1 turn.

Random Stuff
In the newer cities we started Libraries. Even at half price, 40 shields, they will take a while to build. We could change granary builds to libraries in the outer cities, too. We have two libraries already, in Babylon and Mount Ellipi. Red Man Tobacco and Silky Red Pajamas are also building libraries and will have those builds enhanced by forest chops.

The worker around Babylon is just to improve around Babylon, making roads and maybe mines.

Our most productive city is Mount Ellipi, which nets 10 of 13 shields. It is making a market, just to get it done early, but a courthouse might be better, to reduce corruption. Forbidden Palace could be built here in 19 turns, unless we want to rush it with an MGL.

Our top 3 most productive cities are Mount Ellipi (10 net spt), Mr Ed (7 net spt) and Babylon (7 net spt). Seaside Shores, There Is No Cow Level and Red Bulls all net 6 spt.

In Red Man Tobacco we have a very modest 4 unit Stackette of Doom: 1 vHorse and 3 vSwords. We have many Bowman still on city garisson duty that can be released for the upcoming war.

I slacked off on research so that we would not go bankrupt. We are still losing money, but not as fast. We have one city at size 7, Mount Ellipi and two more at size 6, Babylon and Iron Range.

We have a monopoly on Feudalism but no one to sell to. The three potential customers, Portugal, Spain and the Mongols, have a total of 18 gold between them. Korea, the next richest civ after us, has 32 gold.

Portugal will probably build The Great Library and not be able to use it, since they are one of the tech leaders.

Military

03 Settlers +2
21 Workers +1
07 Warriors
02 Spear
03 Sword +2
01 Horseman +1 (new class)
22 Bowman +1
02 Curragh

Current Units: 63
Allowed Units: 20
Support Costs: 86 gpt

Engineering in 13 turns at 40% science, -38 gpt, 453 gold.

Good work getting us into the MA, CBob! :thumbsup:

Normally I like to beeline for Military Tradition, but I think in this game we could research Chivalry and then focus on the upper half of the tech tree. Once we have Knights, they should be able to make good progress against our rivals at least until someone reaches Gunpowder.

We should also build about 15 more workers ASAP. We have 18 citizens working unimproved tiles (in some cases, roaded-but-not-mined tiles).

Babylon should work the irrigated grass instead of the hill - that grows it to size 7 in 5 turns instead of 10.

The Bowman in Iron Range should move to the Sugar 1N of Shuruppak - that will stop the second barbarian horseman from attacking.

We also have a lot of military fortified in our core -- they should either be disbanded or move towards the Vikings.

Got it. I'll look it over when I'm done with school and other stuff, and see if I can come up with a strategy post with ideas, questions, thoughts, etc.

Normally I like to beeline for Military Tradition, but I think in this game we could research Chivalry and then focus on the upper half of the tech tree. Once we have Knights, they should be able to make good progress against our rivals at least until someone reaches Gunpowder.
We need Monotheism before we can learn Chivalry.

Should we get Korea and Ottomans into the Middle Ages and try to trade for their free tech? They are the only other SCI civs we know.

EDIT:
I didn't realize we had that many unimproved tiles being worked. The library builds in our two newest cities (Miss Scarlett and Light Bay Horses) can be changed to workers to help fix that problem.

Pre-Turn Thoughts -- 150 BC

Domestic:

Agreed on the workers needed, but not 15. I think having 1.5 workers per city is a good number for Regent, and we can't up our unit costs too much more. We have 18 cities currently and 22 workers, so how about 5-8 workers? The question is, from what cities?

Military:

I'll start turn 0 by beginning to move all available bowmen to Red Man Tobacco to prepare for the Viking assault. Should this include warriors? Or should I upgrade them to swordsmen first?

Trading:

Korea needs only one tech to go into the MA. Ottomans need two. I don't like the idea of gifting them a tech, to trade for their free tech, and give them another tech or gold in return. In any case, they benefit a heck of a lot more than we do.

Builds:

Like I said, I'll move the military into Red Man, but do we want to leave any defenders at all? If we do, then there aren't a whole lot of people to send. If we do, no defenders, but more attackers.

Either way, what should I look at for builds this set? Military in the production cities, culture/science/food in the newer cities?

Settlers:

I was thinking of moving the settler on the Iron hill (3NW-1N of Mr Ed) just 1SW onto the grassland. Takes away the defense, but allows the Iron hill to become quite productive later, and with a culture pop, gives a grassland Wheat, that once irrigated, produces 5 food.

The Babylon settler I think will stay in there for now. Just don't forget about him.

The settler 1S of Seaside Shores...does anyone know where he's headed to?

And the Settler bring built in Red Bulls. Any ideas? I'm thinking to go west, young man,

Tech:

Like I said, not inclined to try the whole trading gamble with Korea and Ottomans. Shall I continue on Engineering, or move to Monotheism->Chivalry? On the upper half, gives us Knights, which would be a great boost in this war and the ones to come. The lower half gives us Longbowmen and Leo's, which we could either build or, once built, make the target of our next war.

Wonders:

Speaking of wonders, Sun Tzu. Shall we go for it? We have barracks in 5 of 18 cities. Again, we could let it be built, and make that and Leo's our targets for the next wars.

Annnnd, done. I know I have a lot of questions. But I like me some detailed discussion and answers! :D

This is a good starting point for discussion, Verarde!

Domestic - If you think 15 is too high a target, how about 10? Unit costs are a problem, but we'll need workers developing the land around our towns as they grow to size 7 to deal with that. Also, we'll need even more workers as we build more cities...

Military - I'd say upgrade or disband the warriors. Cutting unit costs would be nice, but OTOH more swords would definitely help in our war plans.

I'd send the spears we have to help defend the attack stack -- better them than Bowmen for soaking up attacks.

Trading - I think we should gift both tribes to the MA. It's worth it if we can get Monotheism from one of them. Yes, they benefit, but I think we benefit more (by getting earlier access to Knights). Also, both of those tribes are far enough away that they'll have pikes or muskets by time we're attacking them anyway.

Builds - We should make sure Marketplaces and Libraries are online in our core cities. Outlying ones should build Workers or catapults. Other than that, Bowmen or Horsemen (I wouldn't bother with too many Pikes).

Settlers - Agreed on the Iron Hill tile. Other than that, keep them all moving towards the west -- there's a lot of land to fill in.

Tech - Don't switch research unless we trade for Engineering; it's better not to waste those accumulated beakers. Once we have Engineering, I think we should set our sights on Chivalry.

Wonders - Sun Tzu is worthwhile, but I don't think we have to build it. Why not let our second target build it for us?

Pre-Turn Thoughts --150 BC

Domestic:

Agreed on the workers needed, but not 15. I think having 1.5 workers per city is a good number for Regent, and we can't up our unit costs too much more. We have 18 cities currently and 22 workers, so how about 5-8 workers? The question is, from what cities?
Change the library builds in Miss Scarlet and Light Bay Horses to Workers. Let any new cities build a worker as their first project. And then try to have our workers improve tiles that we have city citizens working on. For instance, Silky Red Pajamas is working three tiles but only two of them are roaded. And neither of Sippar's citizens are working roaded tiles. Working BGs, yes, but neither BG has a road.
Trading:

Korea needs only one tech to go into the MA. Ottomans need two. I don't like the idea of gifting them a tech, to trade for their free tech, and give them another tech or gold in return. In any case, they benefit a heck of a lot more than we do.
I tend to think this way too. However, consider this. Korea makes it to the Middle Ages on their own this turn and gets Engineering. Do we need that? Yes. Is it worth Feudalism (assuming an even trade)? Yes, because then we don't have to spend 13 turns at negative gpt learining. Plus, we get bridges and we can ignore rivers.

What will Korea do with Feudalism? Maybe build Sun Tzu's for us. Maybe not.

Now if Korea gets Monotheism instead of Engineering, then maybe we wait, learn Engineering and then trade it to them for Mono. That means we can research Chivalry and they cannot, since they will lack Feudalism.
Military:

I'll start turn 0 by beginning to move all available bowmen to Red Man Tobacco to prepare for the Viking assault. Should this include warriors? Or should I upgrade them to swordsmen first?

Builds:

Like I said, I'll move the military into Red Man, but do we want to leave any defenders at all? If we do, then there aren't a whole lot of people to send. If we do, no defenders, but more attackers.

Either way, what should I look at for builds this set? Military in the production cities, culture/science/food in the newer cities?
This is always a juggling act. We still need some defenders in the core and the border/coastal cities to defend from minor incursions and two or three unit invasions/raids. And most of our cities are on the border or the coast, so we don't have that many units we can unfortify and send to war.

We don't have enough cash to keep research going and upgrade Warriors. We can use Warriors for scouting, fog busting and coastal defense. Or disband them to help with infrastructure.

City builds is another juggling act. While we need military, we also need some libraries and maybe some aqueducts. The trick is to sneak in a few such builds while not disrupting training the military. At the moment four of our five cities with barracks are building units, the exception is Mount Ellipi. One barracks will finish this IBT (Forest Clearing). Red Man Tobacco and Silky Red Pajamas can build barracks after their libraries finish.
Settlers:

I was thinking of moving the settler on the Iron hill (3NW-1N of Mr Ed) just 1SW onto the grassland. Takes away the defense, but allows the Iron hill to become quite productive later, and with a culture pop, gives a grassland Wheat, that once irrigated, produces 5 food.

The Babylon settler I think will stay in there for now. Just don't forget about him.

The settler 1S of Seaside Shores...does anyone know where he's headed to?

And the Settler bring built in Red Bulls. Any ideas? I'm thinking to go west, young man,
Moving off the Iron hill sounds good. For the settler 1S of Seaside Shores, how about the grass 2W of where he is right now? That spot is CxxC from Seaside Shores, Mr Ed and Light Bay Horses and has 3BGs nearby and 2 forests. And it is next to a river. Once we build the Forbidden Palace that city will be reasonably productive, too.

We need to fill up the NW as quick as we can. Until we start the Viking war we don't need any combat settlers, so send them to the Wild, Wild West.
Tech:

Like I said, not inclined to try the whole trading gamble with Korea and Ottomans. Shall I continue on Engineering, or move to Monotheism->Chivalry? On the upper half, gives us Knights, which would be a great boost in this war and the ones to come. The lower half gives us Longbowmen and Leo's, which we could either build or, once built, make the target of our next war.
If we can trade for Engineering, that would be nice. As more libraries are built and as more cities are started, the learning time will get less. But after Engineering we should try to acquire Monotheism to get to Chivalry.
Wonders:

Speaking of wonders, Sun Tzu. Shall we go for it? We have barracks in 5 of 18 cities. Again, we could let it be built, and make that and Leo's our targets for the next wars.
Sun Tzu's is too expensive at the moment. It costs 600 shields and our best city, Mount Ellipi, only nets 10 spt. We need a couple of cities at around 20 spt before we could dedicate one of them to a 30 turn project.

We really need the Forbidden Palace before Sun Tzu's, since that will reduce corruption. But we can build that with our 2nd MGL, since the 1st MGL will form an Army.

In Mount Ellipi, we bring in 13 shields but lose 3 of them to corruption. Building a courthouse would reduce that corruption. Building the Forbidden Palace will do the same thing and gives us more productive cities, since it doubles the OCN (if I understand it correctly).
Annnnd, done. I know I have a lot of questions. But I like me some detailed discussion and answers! :D
:goodjob:

Thanks for the answers guys! I'll see if I can play tonight, if not, then tomorrow.

Top Bottom