1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Raliuven SG3.5 Regent

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Raliuven, Mar 6, 2012.

1. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

New Cities, 350 AD
    Spoiler :

We picked up 6 cities from Scandinavia. They have four left. Their capital is Odense, which is near Silky Red Pajamas. They have been defending with rSpears.

Not all the new cities are connected to Babylon. Between Copenhagen and Oslo is a stack of 3Workers, to connect our newly added cities. Another such stack is 1NE of Bergen.

The Wines of Bergen are connected to Babylon. This allowed us to reduce our luxury rate to 10%.

Random Stuff
    It looks like we may need to go through Korea to kill off the Vikings. In turn, that might mean war with Korea.

We just started on Invention this turn. We have 0 beakers invested at the moment.

Spain has Invention for sale but the price is too high, especially when we can learn it rather quickly. Overall, no one has any cash or gpt to trade for the techs we know.

Bergen is that gateway into Scandinavia. We have roads into that city from Aarhus and Reykjavik.

Our curraghs are sailing so as to go fogbusting and island seeking for us. But they are not there yet. Our new galley was built for the same purpose.

We may want to change Mount Ellipi to Forbidden Palace instead of waiting for MGLs to rush this small wonders.

We are on turn 19 of our Golden Age.

Military
    • 00 Settlers
    • 34 Workers +2
    • 10 Slaves +4
    • 07 Warriors
    • 02 Spear
    • 03 Sword
    • 02 Horsemen
    • 05 Pike +4
    • 10 Knight +10 (New class)
    • 01 Galley +1 (New class)
    • 26 Bowman
    • 04 Mace
    • 02 Curragh
      • Current Units: 95 +17
      • Allowed Units: 52 +9
      • Support Costs: 86 gpt +12

We won 14 of 14 rounds of comabat. One Elite victory failed to produce an MGL.

Invention in 5 turns at 50% science, +41 gpt, 213 gold.

Golden Age: one more turn

2. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Got it.

Wow! Everything's looking great! From a cursory glance, we're leading in score and Domination, which is excellent. We're light years ahead of our nearest opponent.

I shall work on a strategy post and some "Questions About Where To Head" tomorrow.

3. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

D'oh - you re-played my set, CBob. Both our turnsets were from 250-350 AD :(

It looks like you did a better job of it than I did, though.

4. Verarde

:lol: oops! I'll just pick up from where CBob left off.

5. Elephantium

That's probably for the best.

6. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Oh my!

:eek: :faint: :blush:

I don't how I managed to make a mistake like that.

It must have been because they knew that resistance was futile?

7. Elephantium

:rotfl:

It's no problem. You just downloaded the wrong save by mistake :)

8. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

Sorry, I was unexpectedly away over the weekend. Looks like all that was on was a rerun!! I started reading CBob's post and it was déjà vu all over again!

Looks like Verarde already posted the got it, but to put up the roster:

Roster
    Raliuven (next in line)
    CommandoBob (just played elephantium's set again :D)
    Verarde (Playing)
    Toxicman007 (on deck)
    Elephantium (warming up)

I put Toxicman007 back in the rotation after Verarde and then Elephantium is up again (because we swapped last turn) if that is any consolation!

9. Verarde

Wunderbar. I'm quite busy for the rest of the afternoon and the evening, but I'll try to work on a strategy post in between busyness.

10. Verarde

Pre-Turn Thoughts -- 350 AD

Just a few, mostly military wise.

A few knights that will be produced soon will be sent to Odense. The others that are already on the battlefields will finish off the Vikes. They have four cities, I either see them or their borders, and we can reach them without having to fight the Koreans. So, I'ma do just that.

In terms of builds, are our core cities building knights only? And what about our newly captured cities? Most if not all are building workers, after that, what's the plan?
    Certain cities of ours that are already building infrastructure, what should they be looking at?

Workers will be busy connecting our new cities.

If I finish off the Vikes, should I immediately head off to Korea? Or should I wait a few turns to let any possible WW die down a bit? I don't see any but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

And in terms of DoWing on them, should I just go ahead and do so, or is there a special trick to get them to DoW on you that I am unaware of?

FYI, Korea is even lower in score than the Vikes. So they should be a cakewalk.

Should I be building any settlers to fill some of the gaps left by the Vikes? I also feel like we should get a few moving over to that big gap to our west, fill that in.

And any other thoughts or notes that you guys have would be much appreciated.

11. del62

del62 Deity

lurker's comment:

WW from the Vikes will dissapear with them, if your are at war with A then either destroy them or make peace with them, wthis will have no effect on WW with B

I doubt you can get a weak nation to declare on you easily, if at all.

12. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

I don't think we need to be overly cautious about WW with the Koreans. WW does not carry over between Civs but we can be hit with multiple effects. That said, I don't think we are suffering all that much WW with the vikings in the first place. Korea won't add much to it.

Since we have a deadline I would say DOW on Korea as soon as you feel you can start the ball rolling. No need to wait until the vikings are dead - I think they also have a city protected by Korea on the east coast? We will need to beat a path through the jungle to get through Korea and to all those tasty southern civs. Workers and settlers to bust up the jungle route is a good thing, but at this point we are probably looking at the chain-of-pearls approach to victory. We'll be picking up additional enemy cities and we really don't have the time/need to fill in all the empty areas between here and there. Now that our super-productive core has basic infranstruture and is turning out units, we will dominate the world with liittle trouble. Our main issue will be tiime - can we reach all those little corners before the deadline?

13. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

If possible, try to make the last Viking city an inland city. That will help prevent the Settler-In-A-Boat scenario.

Some of the Viking cities might be fairly productive and maybe even a few Mongol/Korean cities, too. It seems like a former capital, even when captured, doesn't go totally corrupt. And since we have time to do some basic (barracks, library, maybe a market) perhaps we should. It will depend on the city, of course.

We may need some settlers to help the war effort (combat settlers) and maybe some for science farms. We want to get to Military Tradition quickly, for the 3Move Cavalry. After that, the next big thing would be the ability to make rails and maybe, just maybe, have artillery and faster workers. Having Cavalry will really help us in our conquests. Railroad would let us get them to the front lines faster.

Do we want to stir up trouble with the other AIs? Like start a war with the second most advanced civ and then sign MAs with everyone else against them (except Korea and maybe the Mongols)?

14. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

Now THAT sounds like a lot of fun! :goodjob:

I don't see any good coming from a peaceful AI world. :D Well, maybe more roads for our invasion.

:think:
    Roads or :hammer:

:hammer:

15. Elephantium

I would say start a war with the farthest-away civ, then sign an MA against them with the Mongols. They'll send their army off on an adventure to the other side of the continent while we snap up Korea.

Once we have the tech that obsoletes the Great Wall (Metallurgy, I think), we should gift the Mongols up to that and declare. Their cities will be easier to take once that's gone!

Sure, combat will be harder when they have Muskets vs. Pikes, but I'm guessing that we'll have half their cities by time they manage to produce many Muskets...and by then we'll overrun them like a flood :trouble:

16. Verarde

Turn Set Report -- 350-450 AD

Pre Turn - 350 AD
    Micro manage a little bit around our empire.
    IBT
    No Viking movement.

Turn 1 - 360 AD
    There Is No Cow Level: Pikeman -> Barracks
    Iron Range: vKnight -> vKnight
    Birka: Worker -> Temple
    In The Middle: Marketplace -> Granary

Resistance ends in Molde.

Move some dudes here and there towards the next targets. No combat.

Brace ourselves for the end of our Golden Age.

IBT

A Vike archer runs into Alesund to hide. Pfft.

Turn 2 - 370 AD

Golden age ends. Invention goes to 4 turns, losing 10gpt. I keep the slider at 50% for now.

The Battle of Alesund

4/4 Knight v. 3/3 Spear
    victory, but redlined.

4/4 Knight v. 3/3 Archer
    complete and utter victory.

The Battle of Karasjok

4/4 Horseman v. 3/3 Spear
    redlined and retreated, no damage to spear.

4/4 Knight v. 3/3 Spear
    2/4 health left, victory.

4/4 Knight v. 4/4 Warrior
    ....redlined, retreats, does 1 damage. Wow.

I took the vBowman next to Adab amd marched it south as a fogbuster. He found a barb camp. Destroyed.

Move a Knight and Horseman next to Ulsan. Here goes.

IBT

Korea asks us to leave....nah...

We are now at war with Korea.

Turn 3 - 380 AD

Mount Ellipi: vKnight -> vKnight
    Seaside Shores: vPikeman -> vPikeman
    Hareid: Worker -> Temple
    Adab: Worker -> Temple

Resistance ends in Oslo.

Lots of little battles, but the upshot of the matter is, we destroyed Ulsan.

IBT

Turn 4 - 390 AD

Reykjavik: Worker -> Temple
    Corse: Courthouse -> Aqueduct
    Iron River Resort: Marketplace -> Barracks

We destroyed Karasjok, of the Vikings.
    We captured Pusan, of the Koreans.

IBT
    Vikes come, offering peace. Hah.

Turn 5 - 400 AD

Sippar: vPikeman -> vPikeman
    Light Bay Horses: vMDI -> vMDI

We captured Odense, of the Vikings.

IBT

Nada.

Turn 6 - 410 AD

Invention is ours! We set our sights on Gunpowder. I lower the slider to 40%, making it's ETA in 10 turns, and we're gaining 43 gpt.

Copenhagen: Worker -> Temple
    There Is No Cow Level: Barracks -> vKnight

WW has hit a bit.

We capture Bodo, of the Vikings. They had a galley in it. Planning a settler-in-a-boat? Not likely, as:

WW instantly disappears. :D

IBT

nada. a spanish boat unloads a spear/settler combo where Ulsan used to be.

Turn 7 - 420 AD

Babylon: vKnight -> vKnight
    Red Bulls: Harbor -> Settler
    Mr Ed: vKnight -> vKnight
    Oslo: Worker -> Temple
    Red Man Tobacco: vKnight -> vKnight
    Shuruppak: Marketplace -> Pikeman
    Forest Clearing: vKnight -> vKnight

Palace expansion! I add some pillars...then see that we've got more than one! I add some trees as well.

small fighting here and there. no captures. I did capture a Korean settler who was being guarded by an archer. I sent them off to start roading.

IBT

zzz...were the Koreans caught unawares or something?

Turn 8 - 430 AD

Seaside Shores: vPikeman -> vPikeman
    Iron Range: vKnight -> vKnight
    Silky Red Pajamas: Aqueduct -> Barracks
    Backwater: Library -> rMDI

Spain completes The Hanging Gardens.
    Portugal and Ottomans are now building Sun Tzu.

We capture Wonsan.

IBT

Still nada from Korea. I see a couple spear/settler combos from them though. Desperate already? I mean, we're only attacking their capital.

Turn 9 - 440 AD

Trondheim: Worker -> Temple

Carthage is building Leo's.

Excellent news:

IBT

zzz...if I had to guess, the Koreans have at least 6, maybe 7 cities remaining?

Turn 10 - 450 AD

Mount Ellipi: vKnight -> vKnight
    Sippar: vPikeman -> vPikeman

movin' some dues around, healin' up. that's it.

Our newest acquisitions:

and the save:

Attached Files:

17. Elephantium

Nice progress! We'll have the Mongols nicely encircled rather soon.

Why are we building so many Temples?

18. Verarde

Eheh. That was because I wasn't sure what to build after the workers. In my games I generally go for workers first, then temples to quickly fill up all the empty spaces. Feel free to change it, in fact, you probably should.

19. Elephantium

I usually build more Settlers and fill in the gaps. The AI puts cities WAAAAYY too far apart.

20. Raliuven

Raliuven Emperor

They also have a bad habit of settling those cities outside of our productive zone. :p Darn inconsiderate!

Nice progress! I don't think it is a matter of catching them off guard. They AI isn't even done expanding or improving their tiles. They'll have some out-of-date units that we'll just roll over with our knights and virtually no real combat units. Once we declare war they will try to push out a few modern units but by time it is too late to stop for formidable Babylonian army!

Roster
    Raliuven (still next!)
    CommandoBob (waiting)
    Verarde (just played)
    Toxicman007 (Playing)
    Elephantium (on deck)