RAND 1.76 Balancing and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Afforess, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Tomcat1962

Tomcat1962 Chieftain

On Praetorians, imho leave them at 8. Str 10 would "catapult" the unit to much into the Middle-Ages. Additional Promotion Cover I seems good for me and maybe Shock 1 instead of Formation 1 additional.

But speaking of balancing units, how does the following sound to you:

Raising the Str. of Heavy Pikeman up to 12 while reducing the Bonus against Mounted units to 25% at the same time...

Reason: This would reflect the changing of the Infantry warfare during the 15th and 16th century with the upcoming of Pike squares and the decline of knighthood.

2. Radunz

Radunz Chieftain

but praetorians are suposed to be Middle Age strg units, just look at Vanilla where they have the same has a maceman... and of course costing a lot more too

3. Tomcat1962

Tomcat1962 Chieftain

Maceman's STR was underweighted in Vanilla, thus the strength was changed up to 10 i suppose and i agree with that upgrading.
    Praetorians as Middle Age Units? I doubt this, since the Praetorian guard was dissolved at the beginning of the 4th century.

4. Radunz

Radunz Chieftain

Yeah, but they surely could keep a figth if they had survived long enougth

5. Tomcat1962

Tomcat1962 Chieftain

I won't argue here with realism, since CIV/RAND is a game and not a simulation, but i understand the idea of Unique Units as of Units that are unique for a certain civ during a certain Epoch and not all over long times.

6. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

I think the middle age's units are well balanced in AND1.75
    Pretorians are just a bit more powerfull since it's a UU. Like any other UU.

Take advantage of them or use strategy to face them...

The best way to balance the game is definitly to improve again and again the AI. That is a big deal...
    To do so, AND has to be finalized. I mean bug free and the rules fixed, then I hope Afforess or other modmoders will think about an "evenbetter AI"

7. os79

os79 Deity

Play Patch B then :). Test and try to break AI military specialization. That will help Afforess :).

8. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

9. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

2 late game suggestions:

- Why don´t automatic units use sea tunnels? They use airports, so I think they should use the tunnels, too.
    - Clones and Androids are not really worth their money. They are very expensive compared to workers and give only very tiny benefits (or have I overlooked something?). And also the differences between clones and androids are tiny. You still need a very long time to build late-game improvements with Androids. I would suggest to cut building-times of improvements by Androids by half and/or give them other benefits (e.g. hybrid forests can only be built by them). Clones could be deleted imo.

10. Soro

Soro Warlord

I'm running a huge map, 6 continents, myself and 5 AIs. It's the medieval period, and for a long time I've noticed an unusually large number (compared to the last two AND releases) of barbarian/pirate ships. I finally went into the world editor, and discovered they don't have any cities any longer on my continent, or on nearby continents, but 6 pirate ships were circling me (after having destroyed two, last turn). I've been destroying them for ages, yet they still regularly generate in identical numbers and unload multiple units near my cities and start destroying things.

I'm wondering if perhaps it needs a tweak. I like the sense of some challenge from barbarian attacks, and the accomplishment that comes with taking over a heavily defended barbarian town with many units and a few buildings; and the attendant feeling of slowly cutting back on barbarian attacks by cultivating more territory. But dealing with endless ships that appear out of nowhere and never decrease, no matter how much you patrol, seems to me like make-work. Just a thought.

11. Radunz

Radunz Chieftain

1 thougth: Navy Seals should be Modern Marines, or maybe special forces instead of tommy gun marines..

12. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

In my current game and most of them before, a civilisation about to disappear (because a powerful and wicked enemy SD making brutal devastations), never makes a ultimate offer to end the war and save a couple of cities to remain in the game anyway

As a human (and in real life) it's what I'd do

The AI should be able to give anything (cities, money, science, units...) to stop an empowered human opponent and stay alive.

13. Radunz

Radunz Chieftain

or maybe those AI's are like hitler and the Roman empire in the end..... they think the war can still be won

14. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I've had this happen in my games, too. If there's a tile of non-ocean water that isn't visible to anyone, Barbarians will spawn there. At least, that seems to be what's happening. The strange behavior comes when you restrict the Barbarians to only a very small number of possible spawning points.

I had one game in which I intentionally left one non-ocean water tile out of sight because the Barbarians kept spawning there and depositing units on my coast, always in the same easily-attacked square. So, I could farm them for XP! This lasted for more than one hundred turns. I eventually gave in and put a boat over there to stop the silliness.

15. Soro

Soro Warlord

I have everything except the ocean tiles explored, and those ships are still popping up. I've even had them appear literally in the middle of a series of my ships. What's more annoying, they're a less evolved version of the ships I've got--and if I can't get across the ocean, there's no way they can. Which means their appearance borders on the miraculous. ;)

16. ilidiankid

ilidiankid Chieftain

Hello everyone, just a quick question here since I haven't seen anyone mentioned it yet. I'm playing AND 1.75, and apparently I can't build mines without removing/burning the forest. Is improvement on forest tiles still a feature?

17. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

No. Allowing improvements over forests is part of what made production become unbalanced.

18. ilidiankid

ilidiankid Chieftain

Thanks for the clarification. I asked because many in-game texts still refer to this feature.

19. os79

os79 Deity

Mind updating first post with all confirmed changes you plan for 1.76?
    That way we can look through them and suggest any new balancing ideas, and not beat the dead horse(s).

20. Talin2009

Talin2009 King

Thought on declaring war by AIs:

Huge part in my last games is keeping my strongest neighbours war each other (thus keeping me outta conflict for early part of game) - i.e. when i see them not warring i either convince them to war whoever they can or somebody else to attack them, while AI themself never persuade other AI's into declaring war on someone they are not in war with.

My suggestion would be to either :
    1) make AI persuade other AI's to wardec someone they are not currently fighting
    2) only let human AI to propose wardec on AI's human player is currently at war with.
    3) IF Asoka accepts my offer to declare war on Montezuma for exchange of Machinery that automatically makes me declare war on Montezuma as well, and not stay aside and watch them ripping each other apart.