Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just have a quick question, something I couldn't find in your article, but can companies copyright modern versions of old melodies?

There are 2 different kinds of copyright there, as far as I (= not a lawyer) know:
- you have the copyright on the actual composition
- you have the copyright on the implementation
So e.g. hypothetically Mozart would hold the copyright to his composition, so everyone who wants to play it (with the notes as composed by him) would have to pay him copyright fees.
Then if you play the piece you just licensed, you hold the copyright to exactly this play. If someone films you and wants to distribute the film, then they would have to pay you copyright fees.
In most western countries the copyright expires after a set amount of time, normally X years after the death of the creator of the piece (I think that is depending on US or EU 50 or 70 years, and might vary depending on medium). This affects the creator itself, and is not affected by any type of transfer of copyright (e.g. when a musician transfers the copyright to a company like Sony, the copyright will still expire X years after the death of the creator), I think.
There are exceptions in the copyright for remixes, satire, and other things.

MaryKB, look up what ‘Mickey Mouse’ copyright laws are.
I miss new wave. :(
Who doesn't? All of my favorite bands and artists are from that time period.
You sound as if you share my bad habit of playing GTA: Vice City just to drive around the streets doing taxi missions as an excuse to listen to the soundtrack.
My bank account suddenly doesn't accept USD transfers anymore. :mad:
What?

Why wouldn't those people accept transfers made in the international currency of choice which is, also, the currency of the country right next door?

Despite my sizable form, I am not a bank and thus cannot suss out their thinking. :p

Aye, Snerkums and I should be the directors of your bank. When you go bust we'll disappear with the year's profits and go live somewhere with more sun than Norway and more corruption than Argentina so we can ensure not to be disturbed.

Aye, Snerkums and I should be the directors of your bank. When you go bust we'll disappear with the year's profits and go live somewhere with more sun than Norway and more corruption than Argentina so we can ensure not to be disturbed.

you'd have to sleep on the couch

Psst! Look at Synsensa's post count...

Thank you, but I realised afterwards that must have been what he meant. I still don't know what Hygro meant, though.

Thank you, but I realised afterwards that must have been what he meant. I still don't know what Hygro meant, though.
So ask him.

Yarr! talk like a pirate day be under a fortnight away, me matey.
September 19.

Remind me to post some pirate smileys (Millan has some that are really good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom