Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some homes get pretty damp. Particularly the basements.
Don't I know it, I'm in winter in a city with a river so wide you cannot see the other side because the horizon gets in the way.

But USians still seem to have a lot of home appliances that are so… US-specific.
I am not sure, but I think when you ask for directions in google maps in Finland, it gives you the bus stop names in Swedish. Sure, everywhere has both names on the signs, but the bus drivers do not know the names so say they do not stop there.
There's been a linguistic struggle of sorts going on between Svecomen and Fennomen so this genuinely doesn't surprise me.

But USians still seem to have a lot of home appliances that are so… US-specific.

It's not really that they're US-specific so much as that the US is a rich nation, and we can afford these things. But many things we have are low enough priority items that people don't have them until they really need them or the cost of them isn't a serious inconvenience.

Car Dealer Online Saleman: May I have your number?
Me: I'm sorry but no. I do not wish to discuss this over the phone with you, ever. Dealers spam call me non-stop when I give out my number, so I am declining to provide it.
Car Dealer: I don't spam call ;)
Me: They all say that
Car Dealer (next day): Calls 5 times and leaves 3 voice mails

(he found my number on his own)

That's a bold strategy cotton. Bye felicia

A few years back, one dealer was so obnoxious about calling me that I called the front desk and requested a manager to let him know I would not ever buy or lease a vehicle from that dealership thanks to his salesman's inability to listen. I can't remember another time in my life I went to a manager about an employee like that.

Last edited:
A rant: Here in Canada the federal government wants to ban plastic straws. I've already posted my thoughts about the straw bans and why they aren't such a good thing a few times. I'm kind of annoyed.

I can't remember another time in my life I went to a manager about an employee like that.

Going to the manager is the right move, because odds are the employee is just doing what he was told to do by a manager. Of course, that policy is probably set far above the level of a manager that you could actually talk to, so...

A rant: Here in Canada the federal government wants to ban plastic straws. I've already posted my thoughts about the straw bans and why they aren't such a good thing a few times. I'm kind of annoyed.

what about dem reusable plastic straw. I got me some of those and they're actually superior in every way. have not used a straw since. mine are pink. not that anyone asked. but they are.

Aside from the issues with cost and cleaning them, reusables don't really work too well for certain kinds of disabilities. Metal or hard plastic can cause injuries to the mouth.

Do you have any problems with paper straws

They turn to mush!

Back before plastic replaced them, they seemed pretty hardy. They mushed eventually but it took awhile. I haven't used one in a long time so i'll take your word that they are more cheaply made now.

Aside from the issues with cost and cleaning them, reusables don't really work too well for certain kinds of disabilities. Metal or hard plastic can cause injuries to the mouth.

they're clearly way cheaper than any alternatives, I paid something like 20 cents, so basically a quarter $ for one, and honestly like 10 of them will serve you a lifetime, unless you chew on them. you can also just buy one and reuse that, me and my girlfriend we have 1 for each person.

your second argument I concur, that is a big downside. there should be soft-plastic reusable ones in the foreseeable future I guess.

Back before plastic replaced them, they seemed pretty hardy. They mushed eventually but it took awhile. I haven't used one in a long time so i'll take your word that they are more cheaply made now.

nowadays they aren't really paper most of the time, they're lined with plastic inside (and maybe outside, too, I wouldn't know). I'm sure ones without plastic exist, but many of them do have some plastic.

Nowadays, :lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking back to the early 60's

As I recall, in this country, people with disabilities who still need straws will be able to purchase them, but otherwise they're being phased out.

maybe a tad more than that. I'm remembering 25-50 cents depending on the place.
My first car was 100 bucks. Not quite a beater. A brand new Fully equipped Mustang was around 3 grand.

maybe a tad more than that. I'm remembering 25-50 cents depending on the place.
My first car was 100 bucks. Not quite a beater. A brand new Fully equipped Mustang was around 3 grand.
Jesus!!! That’s cheep compared to today!

10x was the general multiplier for from the 60s till now. in the early 70's with gas wars, it would drop to under 30 cents a gallon.

Gas was still around a dollar when I was young. I remember going to The South on road trips and gas would be under a dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom