Random Rants noventa y tres: The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer put itself in airplane mode on Saturday and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. A call to the tech support people at my telecom resulted in an hour of extreme frustration (someone's not going to be pleased with the very bad customer service evaluation I gave them later).

I ended up having to take the computer to the place I take all my computers when they need fixing. Thankfully it didn't take long and did not need to be checked in (thus avoiding a $50 charge).

I was without internet on Sunday (drove me nuts every time I wanted to play another level on my game I've got on the go, or read another chapter of a fanfic, or see what new idiocy was going on on FB...

But thankfully someone had sent me a story to read, and I'd downloaded it. So I did have something to read, and ended up re-reading some of the earlier stuff I wrote for King's Heir back in 2018-19 or so.

Conclusion: I still like a lot of it, but holy crap, does it ever need proofreading and editing! And I'd forgotten all about that family I created in the fishing village. They've been twiddling their thumbs for about 3 years now.

Today was the first time I've gone anywhere since winter 2020 that did not involve medical appointments or essential banking. I celebrated with a white caramel KitKat bar.

Health has been a right ****show this january. Been headachey lethargic and kinda dizzy and more for a couple weeks straight now. Really weird haven't had this problem before. Very much hoping it's something temporary that'll blow over soon. Absolutely everything has been on hold. This sucks. Seeing my doc later this week.

Health has been a right ****show this january. Been headachey lethargic and kinda dizzy and more for a couple weeks straight now. Really weird haven't had this problem before. Very much hoping it's something temporary that'll blow over soon. Absolutely everything has been on hold. This sucks. Seeing my doc later this week.
Did you recently give up caffeine? Headaches and dizziness are symptoms of withdrawal for people who stop drinking it suddenly.

:hug:

Did you recently give up caffeine? Headaches and dizziness are symptoms of withdrawal for people who stop drinking it suddenly.

:hug:
Thanks but not really no. I usually have one cup of tea and one coffee a day. I also feel a lot sicker than I imagine caffeine withdrawal would be but IDK.

My sinuses have started acting up recently so I'm kinda hoping they are the main culprit. Although I can't really get that to make sense either. Really hoping it blows over soon anyway!

My sinuses have started acting up recently so I'm kinda hoping they are the main culprit. Although I can't really get that to make sense either. Really hoping it blows over soon anyway!
There is possible connection, and it would need to be seen to. If you get an infection in the sinuses it can spread to the middle ear via the eustachian tube, with can cause inflammation that affects the semicircular canals of the inner ear, and upsets balance perception which can result in dizziness and nausea.

There is possible connection, and it would need to be seen to. If you get an infection in the sinuses it can spread to the middle ear via the eustachian tube, with can cause inflammation that affects the semicircular canals of the inner ear, and upsets balance perception which can result in dizziness and nausea.
Indeed that's what I've gathered. The problem is that I had symptoms for almost two weeks before any direct sinus/airways symptoms at all. So it would require some kind of latent sinus infection that caused strong associative symptoms long before manifesting itself. But yeah, it's a possibility, definitely going to ask my doc about it.

Indeed that's what I've gathered. The problem is that I had symptoms for almost two weeks before any direct sinus/airways symptoms at all. So it would require some kind of latent sinus infection that caused strong associative symptoms long before manifesting itself. But yeah, it's a possibility, definitely going to ask my doc about it.
Covid?

It manifests itself in lots of different ways, I think including dizziness. Worth taking a test.

You might have caught any of a number of various winter diseases. The isolation from the past few years has decreased resistance to previously commonplace pathogens.

So the UFC let their heavyweight champion walk, 'cause they suck. The second part's not really news, I guess. For me, it doesn't really matter where he goes next, because (a) he would disintegrate any of the heavyweights in any of the other MMA promotions, and (b) he's not going to be a top-tier competitor in boxing. Also, (c) I don't really follow boxing anyway. It might be fun to see him box one of the top guys, once, just to see how badly he loses. That might be more interesting than seeing Floyd Mayweather Jr. toy with Conor McGregor.

So the UFC let their heavyweight champion walk, 'cause they suck. The second part's not really news, I guess. For me, it doesn't really matter where he goes next, because (a) he would disintegrate any of the heavyweights in any of the other MMA promotions, and (b) he's not going to be a top-tier competitor in boxing. Also, (c) I don't really follow boxing anyway. It might be fun to see him box one of the top guys, once, just to see how badly he loses. That might be more interesting than seeing Floyd Mayweather Jr. toy with Conor McGregor.
I read this, they are not allowed to get external sponsorship and not allowed to compete in any other competition. That is pretty exceptional in individual sports isn't it?

I read this, they are not allowed to get external sponsorship and not allowed to compete in any other competition. That is pretty exceptional in individual sports isn't it?
Yeah, MMA is f'd up in a number of ways.

I think I've had mice in my kitchen the last 2 nights. Or a mouse, at any rate, but where there's one, there's sure to be others.

I think I've had mice in my kitchen the last 2 nights. Or a mouse, at any rate, but where there's one, there's sure to be others.
If you don't get then soon, there will be many more.

The explosive mouse reproduction rate explained​

As you can see, your home is an ideal place for mice to reproduce. As if that wasn’t enough, their gestation period is the most impressive:
  1. 3 weeks are enough for a wild mouse to give birth.
  2. Between 5 and 12 mice per litter
  3. Up to 10 litters per year
  4. Reproduction possible (almost) all their life
These dizzying numbers make you realize that it’s in your best interest to implement methods to keep mice away from your house. Prevention is better than cure!

1. A mouse only takes 3 weeks to give birth​

Female mice have a very short gestation period. When a female becomes pregnant, it takes only 19 to 21 days to give birth to her litter.

2. Up to 12 baby mice per litter​

Each litter usually consists of five or six mice. However, litters of up to 12 young are not uncommon.

3. A female can have up to 10 litters per year​

The number of litters that a common mouse can have within a year also contributes to the reproduction rate of mice. A female can give birth up to ten times in a year.

In addition, they can mate immediately after giving birth, which means that there may only be a 25-day gap between two broods of mice.

4. Females rapidly ready to reproduce (all the way until death)​

By the age of 6 weeks, the female mouse is sexually mature and ready to start producing her own offspring. This rapid maturation process gives common mice reproductive abilities that are almost unique in mammals.

This mind-boggling cycle continues until the mouse dies. At this point, it’s already been a long time since its cubs have started to reproduce themselves!

And cats are better than either.
Yes, but...

We have always had cats. In NM our cats have brought live mice in from the outside and failed to contain them or kill them. Our house is over 60 years old and has lots of mouse havens. Once they get behind the stove or into some other cabinet, they are quite protected. Their droppings are our only clue to their existence. Capture traps with peanut butter as bait works well and we return them to their wild habitat behind our backyard wall or into the cactus den region of our local roadrunners. Survival of the fittest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom