Random SG 01 - The Randomness Begins

There are two city-states who are not allied to neither us or Sweden - Panama City and Colombo. I sent a spy to Colombo to rig elections since it's an ally of Theodora who we will attack later. Panama City is currently an ally of Ethiopia. We should have enough money to buy at least one of them though.

Two submarines are already under construction and I suppose more could be built when our other coastal cities are done with their things.

Got it, playing tomorrow morning. Suggestions welcome (and they can include: keep your turnlog this time).

I love submarines. They can typically sink frigates with one shot.

I like the two front idea. Land forces at Edinburgh and naval forces taking Stockholm. Then drag Gus to the peace table and dictate terms. Get as much cash as you can out of him.

If we have any extra luxes, you can sometimes make a lux for gpt deal in the peace treaty.

Pre-flight: Edinburgh is annexed (is there a reason for annexing right off? It's always been my impression that you only get a benefit after the rebellion ends so I puppet first, annex later, but maybe I'm wrong). A bit of tile micro here and there.

Sell incense to Haile and 'dora, who are friendly, and Sully. Get 5 oil out of it (all of Theodora's supply) and good gpt.
Spoiler :

Ideology time: pick more tenets instead of Order. Order would have given us more :c5happy: but Autocracy will give Gus more :c5angry:.

T250:

A bunch of boats have yet to move so I explore a bit. I scour the Norwegian bay for foes, and find it lacking.

Spoiler :

We are 30-40 turns away from battleships and there are 8 irons in the wild snowy tundra, South of Theodora. Settler bought, sent down under.

IBT:
2 Caroleans attack our ground forces in Dublin and heal right off from it.

Theodora now at peace with Gus.

T251:
2 frigates lend support and take out a Carolean, awaiting cannons to setup for a kill on #2.

Spoiler :

IBT:
Ethiopians and Ottomans fight over missionaries in the strait of Bursa

T252:
Crossbow sent to deal with barbs.
Spoiler :

Navy split in 2: Stockholm is good and dead as is with half our navy.

Spoiler :

IBT:
Like Rocky says: we take the hits and keep moving forward.
Spoiler :

T253:
Dead Carolean. GA ends. Upgrade a few rifles for Dublin. Will heal the cannon then march in

Byzantine forces will be utterly insufficient to hold us.
Spoiler :

Ending turn within sight of swedish frigates, hoping they will expose themselves to our newly arrived fleet.
Spoiler :

Renew Carthage's food trade route.

IBT:
New CS for Gus: Panama declares war and destroys a fishing boat.
Spoiler :

T254:
Bay of Stockholm has 3 sparse frigs in it, I start clearing it out. I'm tempted to go for captures but it would weaken us more than it would help as long as the 8 extra iron aren't connected.
Spoiler :

Spy in Stockholm reveals that he is plotting against Attila (who isn't), but I doubt it will change Attila's thirst for our blood.

IBT:
That's a reasonable deal, my man! except you're missing Stockholm.

Refused.

T255:

IBT:
BOMBER OUT OF DUBLIN
Spoiler :

T256:
Assault!

*wrong screenshot of Dublin, woops*

Big problem in Stockholm: we can only bombard with 4 boats at a time due to the awkward angles of hills and the large ice shelf present. It will take time.

IBT:

T257:
To make sure the siege of Dublin and Stockholm won't drag, I burn some of our money on barracks, armory and units out of Edinburgh. Also buy 2 submarines.

IBT:

T258:
GWI shows up to reinforce Stockholm but we take it out on route.
Spoiler :

IBT:
Vancouver sends out a wild rifleman. He probably will pillage our coal, so that's unfortunate.
Spoiler :

T259:
I see Prora coming up and our faith has accumulated. I buy a GE in Gades to rush Prora.
Spoiler :

Send a privateer to attack Vancouver to try and draw the rifle away from our coal.
Spoiler :

IBT:
Vancouver's rifle takes the bait and returns home.
Spoiler :

GWB and frigate from Stockholm mean we will lose a frigate each turn we stay there. Here's the first.
Spoiler :

T260:
We can get 8 iron by settling down under, which allows for more frigates built, which allows for a more violent 1-time mass upgrade to battleships.
Spoiler :

Dublin is ripe.
Stockholm is resilient.

Constantinople is almost ready, and reinforced by subs.

Spoiler :

My assessment: we will lose 1 more frigate for every turn of this war. I say we go 1 more turn, liberate Dublin, and then take all the money. We are not that far from battleships, so we can keep building up a fleet, piling up money, and upgrading a force to be reckoned with in Jijiga. Then move in and sweep it out.

The terrain really screwed us over. There were 4 firing ports within 3 range, 3 of which were exposed. With battleships, we'll have no problem with terrain since at 3 (and especially 4) range without terrain blinding us, there'll be enough shells raining down to drown them.

Attachments

• RSG - Dido_0260 AD-1650.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
Nope, annexing Edinburgh was, as I said, just a mistake. I puppeted it when I first captured it, then a sneaky Carolean came in and took it back, and when I captured the city for the second time I was going to re-puppet but clicked on the Annex button instead because apparently I can't read. :blush:

One thing I didn't quite get - do we have Stockholm under our control now?

Also, what part of the map is Norwegian Bay? (mentioned in T250)

The very south. And no, we don't have it - Stockholm barely took any damage. We took 4 turns to get into position, 4 turns to clear out the navy present, and then the mix of bad terrain and their bomber changed everything. Given that we can expect more of those pesky creatures, I suggest we take peace as soon as Boudicca is liberated.

After thinking about it, there is a way we could have taken Stockholm out without losses, but it would've meant foreseeing the bomber 6 turns ahead of time and bombing only from the 2 (not even sure it's 2, might be just 1) 3-range firing ports we have. Best case: tedium ad infinitum, and it lets them get more boats and planes and keep being pests. Battleships will solve that problem much more decisively.

Admiral Beorn, exemplary work. :salute:

And the line up:
Roster
Bugs<= on deck
Teproc
Gurra
Beorn <= accomplished some major :hammer:
Menelann <=UP

I agree with the proposal to make peace after Dublin, get $$$ and then go after Theodora.

Edit: Eric has informed me that he would like to withdraw from the team.

Can we get to Gus' oil? Although he is probably getting a lot from city states.

Everything looks good, will play my set tomorrow!

Agree to finish this pointless war for the sake of both nations (well, at least before we get battleships;) Though I have to say that war was going surprisingly easy, even our land forces didn't see much resistance.

Constantinople shouldn't be a problem, there is much open ocean around and she probably won't get bombers on us remembering our close relatonship in the past-)

Yeah, I was expecting a lot more resistance at first. But it didn't come. The only thing that stopped us was the icebergs and hills South of Stockholm, really. My guess is that Boudicca folded due to utterly indefensible terrain, not because of a particularly fierce Swedish force. And then the same thing happened to the Swedes, in turn :mischief:

I think as soon as we take Stockholm, to shift our forces to Theodora and start in on that war. Submarines will decimate her navy.

Do we want to count some chickens and discuss a Deity RSG?

I have never played Deity on my own but sounds interesting. Might be a good way to learn! :)

As for the mod suggestion, I would be open to any mods - I play with lots of them myself, including the Events and Decisions one. It would certainly fit the RSG theme with the random events.

I'm about 50/50 on deity by myself, but when you do a SG, you get to pause and reflect every step of the way, plus bringing 4-6 heads together, means we have a great chance of pulling through.

I'm not familiar with that mod. Wouldn't deity be hard enough all by itself without something extra?

***Here comes the set-)
I suggest that the next person finish the game (like 15 turns), because the next 8-9 turns would be really boring waiting for battleships tech.

Turn 261. Liberate the Dublin, we are the most peaceful nation around;)
We even form a declaration of friendship.

After providing some exp, Hus accepted the peace for all his gpt (49) and two luxuries xD He must be really afraid of us.

Theodora has one allied CS, spend some money on it, not like we lack money.

Turn 262. Thought it may be the peaceful turn, but nah.
Sorry, Theodora, all these 6 trade routes have to be be plundered..
Spoiler :

Hunns have guts to complain about our friendship with Boudica.

Turn 263. Boudica has (well, had) 4 iron but traded it for pearls. 4 more frigates, lol.
Fighting some small land war around Edinburg.
Spoiler :

Here they go, our submarines. Sorry, probably fighting subs with frigates is not funny.
Spoiler :

Turn 264. Settler and worker had some problems because one privateer is't enough to guard them properly but they made it there safe:)

Great scientist gives us Flight and half of replaceable parts.

Turn 265. Sleeep.

Turn 266. Just remembered about Prora, tsss. Moreover city with a great engineer doesn't have enough population to rush it in one turn, so move it in a capital.

Hmmm, vote time. Hus want to embargo us. I vote against, though not sure if it can be helped.

Turn 267. Well, we are embargoed:( I think it doesn't matter, but suggest to repeal it.

Turn 228. Replaceable parts are invented!!
Electronics in 11 turns. Closest great scientists in 19, and moreover there is a merchant in Istanbul in 12 turns, so we may annex it and turn off all these points.
Spoiler :
I didn't do it though, because again, doesn't look like we will make use of a GS in 19 turns.

Theodora comes beg for mercy, but doesn't give us the capital:/

Turn 269. First time taking the Constantinople, nice city-)
Spoiler :

I expect it to be retaken though.
Theodora doesn't want to pay all gpt, so why stop the war.
Spoiler :

Turn 270. Surprisingly Theodora didn't take the Constantinople.
Instead she buy Vancouver (near our first coal city) and now he is attacking us again, but whatever.

I did all armies movement, but didn't assign any projects and there is a free sp for Prora, I suggest right branch of rationalism.

There are 8 frigates and a couple of subs in Hus's General area, but they are waiting near our borders to upgrade.
Spoiler :
waiting
and getting some exp

In Theodora's direction there are 4 ranged frigates that can keep attacking cities to make her pay us money-)

Some oil spots if you're not happy with 31 of it-)
Spoiler :

Congratulations to Theodora on wining the World's Fair!!!
Spoiler :

Attachments

• RSG-Dido_0270 AD-1800.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
Top Bottom