Ready-Made 'standard' Multi-Figure Units

Originally posted by Jaybe
Potential bug: Paratroopers
Fortifying multi-unit Paratroopers caused them to disappear, leaving only their HP indicator. (I have played only one game with them so far).

:confused:
I'm afraid that I am unable to reproduce this problem on my PC.

After downloading the MF Paratroopers from page one of this thread, then loading them into Civ3, I find that the fortify.flc works fine for me.

However, I wonder if the following could be the cause.

Here is a screenshot of the ORIGINAL Paratrooper folder, just as it is 'straight-from-the-box'....
(On the left is a display of the .ini configuration file)

As you can see, there is a flaw in that there is a flc file with the wrong name, called ParatrooperForfity.flc .
Firaxis corrected this by adding a file with the RIGHT name, called ParatrooperFortify.flc .

Now here is a screenshot of the MULTI-FIGURE Paratrooper folder, after the new flc animations have been added and have overwritten the originals.....

The faulty flc file is still there (with it's original size of 71Kb), but it serves no purpose, as the .ini file has no mention of it.
It might as well be deleted for all the .ini file cares.

I wonder if you could take a look at your own Paratrooper folder, and make sure that the flc & ini files have exactly the same spelling as the picture above.

If they do.....then I am at a loss. :(

You could try replacing the MF fortify.flc (size 198Kb) with the original fortify.flc (size 71Kb), or maybe renaming the ParatrooperForfity.flc to ParatrooperFortify.flc .
This will restore the animation back to a single-figure one.
Give it a try and let me know the outcome.

Does anyone else out there have the same problem? :confused:

Anyway, Paratroopers are used to seize ennemy key points, and keep them until reinforcement arrives. As they are often more ligthly armed than the ennemy, using stealth can give them a decisive advantage. So I think hiding when they fortify is a very smart initiative of the munits. This is real artificial intelligence : the computer evolves to increase its efficiency.

Originally posted by Kryten
You sound like one of my software developers Steph....
"....it's not a fault, it's an unexpected feature!" :lol:
Yes, explaining that you are so good that your program does things you didn't expect but they are indeed better that what the user asked for is a good part of the developper's job...:o

Kryten,
I have inspected the files and they are to your specs. I will have to see if it happens in a future game.

I have given paratroopers a real combat mission in only one game to date, and that was months ago.

Originally posted by Steph

Yes, explaining that you are so good that your program does things you didn't expect but they are indeed better that what the user asked for is a good part of the developper's job...:o
But of course! That is reportedly how Soren got the barbs so much better in PTW. :D

Jaybe, I think you are seeing a known paratrooper bug manifest itself in the new multi-unit.
Quoting Civanator's bug description post
Have a Paratrooper, or Balou's Armored Shock Infantry (It is easier to see with the drop animation) paradrop from a city. Next turn fortify the unit. DO Not Do anything else with the unit!.[...] It should show the first frame of the drop animation. Next turn move the unit around, it will be the drop animation until it plays another animation, i.e. attack. after that it should be back to normal.

Does this screenshot (from the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40711) match what you saw? If so, it's the same problem and is not inherent to the unit.

Kryten:

Do you know of any other place I can host the MF Modpack? I was about to update my site today with 140 Units and MUnits, but noticed I have 14MB left. I really dont want it to not be hosted, but I cannot host it for long. I could always hook up my own server, but there would be that 15kpbs speed max on it . . .

GIDustin

Sorry GIDustin, but I don't know of anywhere that could host such a huge zip file....
....except maybe the official Civ3 site. ;)

I wonder if Firaxis would be interested? After all, they do have several player created maps there. :)

I'll ask them.
("Leave it with me.....")

while your at it, ask if you can do the PTW ones ;)

Good News Everybody

Thunderfall has made space here at CFC for the ENTIRE Multi-Figure zip file! :)
See page one of this thread for the link.

This huge zip is some 65 megs, and contains ALL 50 odd of the Ready-Made MF units.

So those of you with fast connections can now downloaded them all in one go, while the rest of us poor mortals will just have to download them one-at-a-time.

(My great thanks to both GIDustin & Thunderfall for making this possible) :goodjob:

Originally posted by Hygro
while your at it, ask if you can do the PTW ones ;)

Hey, HERE'S an idea! Since the whole issue with the PTW units is so that Firxis doesn't lose money, why don't we see if Firaxis would be willing to distribue the PTW multi-units as part of a patch? That way anyone with PTW can get them, and Firaxis doesn't have to worry about people without PTW just grabbing them.

Well...not any more then they already do, anyway.

Perhaps they plan to include them in the CD for the next expansion pack?

The one with Napoleonic units in the extra folder (like WWII in PTW), and some new flags in the editor (like Bonus against cav for pikemen, bonus against sub for destroyer, defend against Aircraft to make AAA and same, a variable upkeep cost for every unit, a variable movement cost for every unit in every terrain, a bonus in certain terrain for units to make mountain troops). possibility to decide if a worker job consume the worker?

Just taking my wishes for reallity...

Originally posted by Mephansteras
...why don't we see if Firaxis would be willing to distribue the PTW multi-units as part of a patch?

Are you kidding? That would make the next patch at least 50 MB!!! :p

Good idea though. Unfortunately, I am sure that someone will install it and distribute them anyway.

:(

GIDustin

Originally posted by zulu9812
Does this new pack contain those updated ini files I posted?

To be honest....I'm not sure.

GIDustin created a monster 65 meg zip file of all 50 odd ready-made MF units for his excellent website, and because my connection is so slow, it is GIDustin's version that has been uploaded here to CFC.
(I assume it does contain the updates....but only GIDustin knows for sure)

I am pretty sure it does.

GIDustin

Top Bottom