1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ready-Made 'standard' Multi-Figure Units

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-Figure Units' started by Kryten, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

Farting bob is having a little bit of trouble trying to get the multi-figure to show up in the game.

So, farting bob, have a look at this screenshot.
    The list on the left is the original Spearman folder, ‘straight-from-the-box’, BEFORE the MF units have been downloaded.
    The list on the right is the modified Spearman folder, AFTER the MF units have overwritten the original flc files....

I wonder if you could take a look at your own Spearman folder, and see if it looks like the screenshot list on the right shown above?

2. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

thanx kryten. i checked it and i had all of the new ones except spearmanattackapike,which is a sound file, so that doesnt make a differece.
    ive re-instilled civ, and will try downloadedinfg a few more again and see what i get.

3. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

i just downloaded archer again and it worked in game! i thik th re-install must hve done it. thanx for the help kyten!

4. rlw33

rlw33 Warlord

Awesome work!

A couple of queries:
    Any plans to do the Play the World units?
    Is it necessary to make any other changes (e.g. to pediaicons.txt)if using these units in a PTW game?

thanks in advance,
    Raymond

5. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

At this time PtW units won't be done for legal reasons.

Since they are afraid with the already poweful modding avaliable in vanilla civ3 1.29f, you could use PtW units to basically replicate the game, thus costing Firaxis up to $30 per person.

I doubt it would be the case, but we cant do ptw yet.

6. LuckyOrDead

LuckyOrDead Chieftain

I had one major problem.

After I downloaded Thunder's all in one install file, it worked great and loved it. But when I went to play PTW online my system crashed. I need to reinstall all of Civ3 and 1.29f before my PTW would work again. :cry:

If you would just post that so other know. Or just change the Install file so that it sets everything up as a Scenario and not overwrites the other files. [punch]

In closing the multi unit need to be a standard in Civ 4 ('cause I love the units) :wallbash:

7. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

Sorry to have been so long in answering you LuckyorDead. :blush:

Are you SURE that this crash you mention is due to multi-figure units, and not to other problems conected to multi-PLAYER? (I must admit that I have never played multi-player....good grief, I don't even get time to play SINGLE-PLAYER! :lol: )
    It's just that no-one else has mention this problem.

Have you tried downloading the unit that is causing the crash (you never mentioned which one it was) individually, from page one of this thread?

8. Sa~Craig

Sa~Craig King

i think that in civ 4 you should have a choice to use munits or standard civ style units

9. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

And I do agree with you Sa~Craig....everyone should be allowed to alter the game to suit their own tastes (which is why Firaxis gave us an editor. :) ).

However, I do find that the civ community is largely a conservative bunch.
    They seem to be wary of changes and new ideas.
    And if Civ1, Civ2, Test of time, Call to power, etc, already had multi-figure units in them, then I very much doubt that people today would be calling out for single-figure units.
    Very few people playing Civ3 now days are nostalgic for the old 'static' units of the former versions for example.
    (Which is a shame....they were a damn sight easier to make! :lol: )

10. xyrael

xyrael Chieftain

im not sure if anyone asked for this already or if it would be impractical, but what about 2 AEGIS cruisers?

11. xyrael

xyrael Chieftain

im not sure if anyone asked for this already or if it would be impractical, but what about 2 AEGIS cruisers?

12. xyrael

xyrael Chieftain

13. xyrael

xyrael Chieftain

14. AndrewN

AndrewN Prince

Hi Kryten,

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I'd just like to add my thanks to everybody else for all the hard work you put in. I'm downloading them slowly (I have got to the end of the ancient age:D ) and they all look excellent.

Andrew

15. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Being a picky little so-and-so, as well as a perfectionist, I noticed one or two (three to be precise;)) bugs in Krytens otherwise excellent work, the fixed files are included in this zip.

Just in case anybody wants to know, the spearmen north run had a small grey mark at the bottom of the frame, the archers arrows stuck on the right of the frame, and a warriors axe went sligltly dodgy on the right of the frame.

EDIT: A few days later I also noticed grey marks at the bottom of the N, and NW frames, which are fixed using this replacement file.

16. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

I am still having trouble with this mulit unit thing. The instructions are for PSP. Can I use Photoshop 7.0? If so, can someone tell me how to make multi units with it? I can cet the FLICster part and the SBB part right; but I am messing up the middle. Thanks!:goodjob:

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I know this may be considered reviving a dead thread, but I was wondering if it was legal to post PTW units since Firaxis allowed people to post and use for other units the PTW units? (LouLong's posting of the extras, people using Abu and Osman's heads for Arab units, etc)

(I was hoping for a Crusader MFU, but then I remembered copyrights. :-/)

18. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

19. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Smellincoffee: You may make MFUs out of the "extras" units that have already been released, but PTW units that are used in Conquests are still off-limits.

20. DANGERBOY

DANGERBOY SCAdian Fencer

There's a download that contains all of the non-Conquest "extras", right? So we could double-check against that to make sure we're not playing with forbidden fruit. And any day now Amazon will relinquish its death-grip on my copy of Conquests... (wife ordered a book that might not ship right away and is thus holding up the rest of the order).

Has anyone actually posted any "released extras" munits?