Realism Invictus

Comanche is a city

yeah that was also what I thougt, and belonging to Apache I take it? (Hmm, I dont want to open worldbuilder to check, don't want to spoil the fun of exploration). Bu tthen I don't understand why I don't get the +3 diplo bonus?

On a sidenote, Mayans attacked me before I had the chance to attack them, seems they are vastly superior to Aztecs with their super army of Holkans with 5 strenght and +strenght/att/def to almost everything. Even when I attack them in open land with my newlybuild Atl-Atl units(0 promotions) its still only about 21% chance to win and 19% chance to withdraw :( Oh and the Maya just spews units out like crazy... and most of their units have two promotions, even their Atl-Atl(where do they get the xp?). I have only lost two units and destroyed 10 of his units, mostly Atl-Atl, because he keeps moving them out in open terrain just next to my SoD, but also a few Holkans I managed to take out with my one high XP Atl-Atl with 3 promotions. But still they just keep pouring in. On top of that I just changed to Slavery because that would make +1 happy in my cities because I build Mesoamerican temple. But now EVERY turn a slave revolt happens, which spawns a strenght 3 barbarian revolt unit; bad timing with the Mayan attack. Also I wasn't expecting a slave revolt every single turn I have Slavery, that is perhaps too much. Maybe wait at least 3 turns between slave revolts?

These are my experiences so far, I still think it's awesome, and maybe I just haven't realized which things I was/are doing wrong. While I am getting my butt kicked and whining a bit about it hehe, I really like the challenge and all the strategy there is to think about; surely I didn't do everything optimally, just gotta figure out what)...

I think perhaps I should start from scratch again, maybe playing as Mayans :p

yeah that was also what I thougt, and belonging to Apache I take it? (Hmm, I dont want to open worldbuilder to check, don't want to spoil the fun of exploration). Bu tthen I don't understand why I don't get the +3 diplo bonus?

On a sidenote, Mayans attacked me before I had the chance to attack them, seems they are vastly superior to Aztecs with their super army of Holkans with 5 strenght and +strenght/att/def to almost everything. Even when I attack them in open land with my newlybuild Atl-Atl units(0 promotions) its still only about 21% chance to win and 19% chance to withdraw :( Oh and the Maya just spews units out like crazy... and most of their units have two promotions, even their Atl-Atl(where do they get the xp?). I have only lost two units and destroyed 10 of his units, mostly Atl-Atl, because he keeps moving them out in open terrain just next to my SoD, but also a few Holkans I managed to take out with my one high XP Atl-Atl with 3 promotions. But still they just keep pouring in. On top of that I just changed to Slavery because that would make +1 happy in my cities because I build Mesoamerican temple. But now EVERY turn a slave revolt happens, which spawns a strenght 3 barbarian revolt unit; bad timing with the Mayan attack. Also I wasn't expecting a slave revolt every single turn I have Slavery, that is perhaps too much. Maybe wait at least 3 turns between slave revolts?

These are my experiences so far, I still think it's awesome, and maybe I just haven't realized which things I was/are doing wrong. While I am getting my butt kicked and whining a bit about it hehe, I really like the challenge and all the strategy there is to think about; surely I didn't do everything optimally, just gotta figure out what)...

I think perhaps I should start from scratch again, maybe playing as Mayans :p

You should have gotten the bonus, it is likely just not being displayed for some reason.

As far as combat is concerned, Atl-Atl is not really the best unit to try taking on Holkans. Aztecs have some very sweet melee units for this purpose. Ideally, you should go for your flavor axemen at least, but Jaguars are much, much better - and they don't even require bronze! Your Jaguars should just dominate those Holkans. Bring some Atl-Atl and archers with you to get an aid bonus, though. A stack composed of one unit type is a bad idea in RI.

Also, slave rebellions aren't set to happen every turn - what you are experiencing is likely just you being unlucky.

Oh, and you can't play as Mayans - they are a minor faction.

This mod is just crazy. By chance did you take a look at the Byzantine roster mod for medieval 2 total war? I was always impressed by the way they interpreted the byzantine empire, and I'm very happy to see the more accurate greek units in this mod too. Not trying to discredit your work, What I really mean is great minds must think alike.:cool:

It is so cool that you combined all of the historic empires into geographical empires. I always wished I could combine greece, rome, and the byzantines into one world empire, well. those darn italians took rome from us, but I'm still counting it as a win. The unit progression from age to age looks so natural now.

I have never heard of this memory allocation bug until now, and I gotta say it has explained a heck of a lot of problems I have had with mods from many new games. I always stuck with 32 bit to avoid driver issues on my custom PC. Guess it wasn't the best idea after all. I get memory allocation errors on a large random map right from the start with a radeon 8600gt, athlon 3800 X2, and 2gigs of 800mhz ram that is running a mostly stable windows 7 32bit. Hope that gives any curious readers some perspective on the gravity of their own situation.

Getting into this game is pretty overwelming. Going from the simplistic civ 5 to this is going to be tough. I can't find too much documentation on the new features and changes, and there is so much to learn. I think the most beneficial thing people could do is help write some guides, and tips for this game to help new players get into it. Unless the case is that I just couldn't find them somehow.

Anyway I wont get to play much until I get my OS sorted out, which will get me some time to figure out a starting strategy. I did look at the unit rosters pretty close, and I wanted to mention modern day Iran. I know you avoid contemporary modern events, but Iran's modern military is pretty advanced, and more importantly largely built domestically. They seem to have a unique style to their units that could maybe add late game flavor to persia.

This mod is just crazy. By chance did you take a look at the Byzantine roster mod for medieval 2 total war? I was always impressed by the way they interpreted the byzantine empire, and I'm very happy to see the more accurate greek units in this mod too. Not trying to discredit your work, What I really mean is great minds must think alike.:cool:

That is one of the many inspirations we had. To count some others, Osprey Men-at-Arms series, a Greek history buff consulting us,

It is so cool that you combined all of the historic empires into geographical empires. I always wished I could combine greece, rome, and the byzantines into one world empire, well. those darn italians took rome from us, but I'm still counting it as a win. The unit progression from age to age looks so natural now.

Thanks; that was the general idea, and that allows us in most cases to avoid fantasy what-if units.

I have never heard of this memory allocation bug until now, and I gotta say it has explained a heck of a lot of problems I have had with mods from many new games. I always stuck with 32 bit to avoid driver issues on my custom PC. Guess it wasn't the best idea after all. I get memory allocation errors on a large random map right from the start with a radeon 8600gt, athlon 3800 X2, and 2gigs of 800mhz ram that is running a mostly stable windows 7 32bit. Hope that gives any curious readers some perspective on the gravity of their own situation.

With only 2 Gb of RAM 64-bit OS wouldn't even help you much. 4 Gb would be my minimum recommendation. These days RAM is dirt cheap anyways.

BTW, I recently ran into MAF in Crusader Kings 2; the procedure to "cure" it was absolutely the same as pre-BtS civ (their exe file was unpatched for >2 Gb). But theirs was sneaky, as it didn't give you an error message stating it's a MAF. Thank god for support forums.

Getting into this game is pretty overwelming. Going from the simplistic civ 5 to this is going to be tough. I can't find too much documentation on the new features and changes, and there is so much to learn. I think the most beneficial thing people could do is help write some guides, and tips for this game to help new players get into it. Unless the case is that I just couldn't find them somehow.

That's exactly why our mod comes with a rather lengthy manual as a recommended read. IIRC the installer creates a shortcut to it in the start menu.

Anyway I wont get to play much until I get my OS sorted out, which will get me some time to figure out a starting strategy. I did look at the unit rosters pretty close, and I wanted to mention modern day Iran. I know you avoid contemporary modern events, but Iran's modern military is pretty advanced, and more importantly largely built domestically. They seem to have a unique style to their units that could maybe add late game flavor to persia.

Absolutely. I think we already have the Revolutionary Guards in RI, and as far as the armored units are concerned, it is unfortunate that none have been made on CFC, as I don't have any real capability to make our own (unlike bipedal units). But rest assured that we are looking for every opportunity.

You should have gotten the bonus, it is likely just not being displayed for some reason.

As far as combat is concerned, Atl-Atl is not really the best unit to try taking on Holkans. Aztecs have some very sweet melee units for this purpose. Ideally, you should go for your flavor axemen at least, but Jaguars are much, much better - and they don't even require bronze! Your Jaguars should just dominate those Holkans. Bring some Atl-Atl and archers with you to get an aid bonus, though. A stack composed of one unit type is a bad idea in RI.

Also, slave rebellions aren't set to happen every turn - what you are experiencing is likely just you being unlucky.

Oh, and you can't play as Mayans - they are a minor faction.

Ah I see, thank you! I should have studied the tech tree more closely, I haven't researched Priesthood or Writing yet, so cant build them. Just loaded the save game again and Mayans now will sign a peace treaty.. phew! their SoD was just two tiles from Tenochtitlan, lucky me :)

I have a question about when my Great Generals build "Fierce warriors" and "Skirmishers warriors". I have build both, but my units only gets one of the promotions? Why don't they get both promotions?

I have a question about when my Great Generals build "Fierce warriors" and "Skirmishers warriors". I have build both, but my units only gets one of the promotions? Why don't they get both promotions?

Fierce warriors applies to melee units, and skirmisher warriors applies to recon units IIRC.

Hey, I've been having a couple crash problems I believe. Probably has been addressed, but I have the memory allocation failure thing every time i other time i reload a game. I assume that it has to deal with not enough memory space on your computer. Is there any way to correct this, other than buying a new computer? I have an old 2004 pc (2gb ram) and the game is around 40% done on normal, default speed setting.

Got the tip to try this! Description is awesome.
You guys have done an epic job in compiling and creatng this.
Thank you very much!

I do have two questisons:

Have you improved the AI? I heard you took alot from the K-mod and I hope you have!

Further more if you've taken alot from the K-mod i'd like to know if you have their nerf of Nuclear Powerplant meltdown because that's the only thing I didn't like and would mod out myself and I don't think that nerfing the already limited effects is in any way realistic compared to the enormous costs for either Tjernobyl or Fukushima. For example the cost for the Tjernobyl disaster is still accounting for many percentages (forgot how much) of the Ukraine economy and was a decisive factor in the collapse of communism due to the costs. The russian tried to really do everything to contain it, didn't get much aid from foreign countries and with the Afghan war completely overextended their economy.
So a city loosing some buildings? Meh.

Thanks!

PS: Oh is the global warming thing there?

Now that I am checking out all the stuff, wow! Even better than I thought:
I love the amount of units, that you basically can design an army now and such.

I also very much like that you added some bonuses and negative things to the early civics.
But I disagree with your definition of barbarism.

I had this discussion with the guy who pointed me to the mod.
I don't think that there's any evidence that people who lived in small collective societies either run by tribal elders, leaders or in a form of organized anarchy were unhappy. I also think that mainting such a government is cheaper than monarchy.

Thusly I would tip that you remove the unhappy face, keep the + 50% maintance distance from palace (or even put it to 75%) and make it "no upkeep" for the civic.

Hey, I've been having a couple crash problems I believe. Probably has been addressed, but I have the memory allocation failure thing every time i other time i reload a game. I assume that it has to deal with not enough memory space on your computer. Is there any way to correct this, other than buying a new computer? I have an old 2004 pc (2gb ram) and the game is around 40% done on normal, default speed setting.

Unfortunately, welcome to the club. My brother recently bought a new computer specifically to play this mod. His spec's, 64 bit, 3.4 Ghz, 8 Gig or ram. He is 2000 turns into a 4000 turn game on the huge world map without a single crash. On my own system (32 bit 4gig ram 2.4Ghz) if I load the huge world map, and enter world builder, I can barely move around the screen without the game crashing. My brother's computer allows him to move around at will without a single jag or chug.

So, long story short, sound like MAF, and with ANY of the big mods, 32 bit systems just will not cut it (Unless your willing to play on small maps)

2 Gb RAM is not enough even if you had a 64-bit OS (which you don't). So no, the answer is no.

Got the tip to try this! Description is awesome.
You guys have done an epic job in compiling and creatng this.
Thank you very much!

I do have two questisons:

Have you improved the AI? I heard you took alot from the K-mod and I hope you have!

K-Mod is our plan for the nearest future. For now, the mod uses many AI routines from BetterAI mod, and thus AI is indeed improved.

Further more if you've taken alot from the K-mod i'd like to know if you have their nerf of Nuclear Powerplant meltdown because that's the only thing I didn't like and would mod out myself and I don't think that nerfing the already limited effects is in any way realistic compared to the enormous costs for either Tjernobyl or Fukushima. For example the cost for the Tjernobyl disaster is still accounting for many percentages (forgot how much) of the Ukraine economy and was a decisive factor in the collapse of communism due to the costs. The russian tried to really do everything to contain it, didn't get much aid from foreign countries and with the Afghan war completely overextended their economy.
So a city loosing some buildings? Meh.

The effects remain the same for now; the chance has been reduced though, for it is unrealistically high in vanilla Civ. There are hundreds of nuclear plants in the world, and have been for decades, but only two major meltdowns (and one took a very big earthquake).

PS: Oh is the global warming thing there?

Don't really remember. I don't think we did anything to it.

I also very much like that you added some bonuses and negative things to the early civics.
But I disagree with your definition of barbarism.

I had this discussion with the guy who pointed me to the mod.
I don't think that there's any evidence that people who lived in small collective societies either run by tribal elders, leaders or in a form of organized anarchy were unhappy. I also think that mainting such a government is cheaper than monarchy.

Thusly I would tip that you remove the unhappy face, keep the + 50% maintance distance from palace (or even put it to 75%) and make it "no upkeep" for the civic.

While we have changed civics a lot for the next version, and the following argument is moot, it still applies. The extra unhappiness in this civic is there exactly to reflect that these societies were small. As the total population and controlled territory grows, it is getting harder and harder for old tribal forms of government to control it. Think of happiness bonus/malus from civics not as "whether people are happier under them", but as "whether it allows you to keep more people from rioting". Otherwise we'd have to concur that under dictatorship, people are genuinely happy to see all those troops. Likewise, bonus/malus to upkeep is the ability of the government to project its centralized authority over a large territory (since a civ is being played as a single entity).

Hello and thank you for the reply.

You should check out K-mods global warming. It's the best it's even been done and I hope it is implemented. Frankly in todays world I feel almost scared how people opt for Ethanol fuels which devestate forests. The effect of additional industry through the devestation of forest which K-mod adds is thusly a great insight and addition.

I also agree with your statement there. Good that you reduced the chance of nuclear disaster instead of reducing the effects!

I'm almost amazed, I didn't think you could talk me out of the barbarian thing but your idea on why you have unhappiness really makes sense. Still I hope you will see the light in question to the "Low Upkeep" contra no-upkeep option:

You must agree that Monarchy, with all its courts, the long carriage trips that kings took through out the country and so forth is more expensive than barbarian tribal rule as a form of government.

I really believe that either the in-expensivness of early tribal form of government should be modelled through it costing "nothing" (significant) or that all other forms of government are medium-high upkeep and only it is low upkeep.

With the unhappiness face and the added maintance due to distance the negative effects of a tribal government on large empires still becomes apparent. We must acknowledge the strength of these early governments as they managed to hold against both roman empire and if you consider the vikings: the norman kings.

Oh: When is the next version coming ?? Since if it's soon I wouldn't like to start a new game without it!

Just curious: When I played as Greece using the "Large" map I saw many goody huts. But when I tried for a few turns Greece and for over 15 turns now Mongols I see none. Is this intended, a bug or?

hello walter, i just remembered something that would be very realistic to add in RI. Bombers that can destroy production and buildings (not just air strike and bombard) , for me it's very realistic, it is added in the mod Road to War (ww2). And museums , because they are a important part of the culture of a modern city.

And in the world map there is a gold and a iron resource in greenland but the iron reasource it's impassable, so, it is there just for decoration?

Fierce warriors applies to melee units, and skirmisher warriors applies to recon units IIRC.

Thanx! :)

I have another tiny question: Approximately how many minutes will/should each turn take normally/on average with a game on the Huge World map when you get about 500 and 1000 turns in; considering you have an adequate system? Right now I am about 75 turns in with Aztecs and it takes about 1-1½ minutes per turn, that's not bad, but I just wonder how it will be later on. I think I have an okay rig with ASUS RoG Rampage II extreme mobo, 6GB ram, 64bit Win 7, Intel Core i7 X980 3.33GHz cpu, AMD Radeon HD 6900 graphics card.

CPU speed here is the most important, not cores or RAM memory, although RAM speed can also be important. Either way your specs are, as you know and you need not be modest - awesome. So I'm sure you're running it as fast as it is possible.

I don't know how long it will take but a tip is: If you want shorter load time, kill more enemies!

Could you please confirm to me if Goody Huts exist on the huge map or not? I've had bad luck finding them...

CPU speed here is the most important, not cores or RAM memory, although RAM speed can also be important. Either way your specs are, as you know and you need not be modest - awesome. So I'm sure you're running it as fast as it is possible.

I don't know how long it will take but a tip is: If you want shorter load time, kill more enemies!

Could you please confirm to me if Goody Huts exist on the huge map or not? I've had bad luck finding them...

Thanks, my rigs is 2½ years old now(except for the graphics card), I had actually been struggling somewhat in some 3D titles higher settings, but I was in doubt about how it impacts on Realism Invictus.

I didn't encounter any Goody-huts with my Aztec civ, but then again the area was pretty crowded with, beside my Aztecs, all sorts of native American tribes, Inca and Mayans. Though I'm sure they'll appreciate being conquered and destroyed when it's all for the sake of better world load times :D

Yes they do exist, but they tend to be located on islands. So, England has some, little islands all over the place have some, but because large chunks of land (Europe, North America) are already full of civ's they don't tend to have any.

Why is the city in the attached picture producing -1 food? It is not going to die however, since it is 'stagnant'. (sry the pic got little screwed, had to downscale it)

Attachments

• XXXXXCiv4BeyondSword 2012-06-22 21-45-47-75.jpg
    XXXXXCiv4BeyondSword 2012-06-22 21-45-47-75.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom