Red Death

They will be cooked into .blp files in the Platforms directory. There may be a way to use them in mods by copying the .artdef entries, but for full mod usability we'll need them to do a new release of the SDK Assets that include the Red Death assets.

This is one drawback of the Civ VI compared with Civ V. In the older game once you had the pak files you could unpack them and use the assets but asset cooking into .blp is a one way street which limits the re-use of graphical assets unless people are willing to share the source files.
In the same token. When I finished the mod. Do I still have to submit asset files and dependency that I uses in the same mod to make sure that it will work (Including RF assets what can be viewed by Asset Editor by default)?

In the same token. When I finished the mod. Do I still have to submit asset files and dependency that I uses in the same mod to make sure that it will work (Including RF assets what can be viewed by Asset Editor by default)?

This is off topic for this thread really. You need to learn how to cook your assets into .blp files (Binary Library Packages) from .xlp (XML Library Package Definitions) files. The process is explained here - better to ask questions about it there.

They will be cooked into .blp files in the Platforms directory. There may be a way to use them in mods by copying the .artdef entries, but for full mod usability we'll need them to do a new release of the SDK Assets that include the Red Death assets.

This is one drawback of the Civ VI compared with Civ V. In the older game once you had the pak files you could unpack them and use the assets but asset cooking into .blp is a one way street which limits the re-use of graphical assets unless people are willing to share the source files.
Some people had reported here that the devs said those will be available for mods, but I don't know if they mentioned a date, and AFAIK there was no update to the Development Assets depot on steamDB since 6 months.

i think this mode is pretty neat. i probably wont play it as i mainly play sp, but the story on how they made it is pretty cool. always a good sign when the people making the game can find some new way to make something fun on the side, and eventually make it into the game(free at that with the patch) sounds like not only the person that came up with it, but others, like the art team loved doing something with it. props to the team.

i dont agree with with some of the posts here on YT about how it is a waste of time/resources, or not worth being in a civ game. not every single thing in the game has to be geared towards what you like. we have and will continue to get improvements to SP, and i doubt this will have any major impact(as in delay or quality) on the next expansion if there is one. may even offer some new ideas for it.

Some people had reported here that the devs said those will be available for mods, but I don't know if they mentioned a date, and AFAIK there was no update to the Development Assets depot on steamDB since 6 months.

There was nothing in the Livestream about it so I think this might be people mis-interpreting or reading between the lines. I think they will release a SDK Assets update eventually but perhaps not until sometime in 2020. In any case there are few new models - it is mostly re-skinning, re-combining and re-tinting existing assets and lighting. It's a good example mod for graphic modders but will be more so once the SDK Assets are released for it.

@Gedemon + @Deliverator ..

Honestly, any SDK features (Pantry updates included!) should be continually tracked with most recent assets. Most newest GFX being still archived within BLP, whichever tasks i need to perform with custom stuff has to wait for authentic resources. Case-in-Point -- the new Map Icons from the Sept/Patch are cool enough.. yet i still remember how they were visually integrated in Civ5 & truly helped detecting HOF history files by parsing through with many "Saves" conditions.

Thus, modding related (formal) content must rely on "adapted" systems.

My perfectionist mindset strikes again! :smoke:

Marbozir
multiplaying Civilization 6 Red Death (featuring PotatoMcWhiskey et al.)

What are Red Death's "failed" civilizations?
My take:

Jocks = America
Mad Scientists = Korea
Cultists = Spain
Pirates = England
Preppers = Australia
Wanderers = Cree
Mutants = Kongo
Borderlords = Russia

What are Red Death's "failed" civilizations?
My take:

Jocks = America
Mad Scientists = Korea
Cultists = Spain
Pirates = England
Preppers = Australia
Wanderers = Cree
Mutants = Kongo
Borderlords = Russia
I'm pretty sure they're inspired by different archetypes typically seen in Western Post Apocalyptic stories, like Fallout and Mad Max, so comparing them to Civilizations in the game doesn't make sense.

I dont think you can (nor should) put them in baskets like that. ^^
I'm pretty sure they're inspired by different archetypes typically seen in Western Post Apocalyptic stories, like Fallout and Mad Max, so comparing them to Civilizations in the game doesn't make sense.
Jocks, though, have a very American feel with the +5 combat bonus (albeit on the entire map) and the football helmet.
The Doomsday Prepper looks like an Aussie.
Everything else is pretty weak yeah.

Just played my second round. The safe zone in the end forced us into an open ocean that i had passed thru early in the game. I waited at the edge of land for an extra two turns before following the last guy (who had a civilian and a foot unit remaining) with my army. No war, just waiting for him to corrode to death before me. I feel bad - kind of a lame win (but GG to the fella that stuck it out with me). But still was a fun game because traversing the open ocean NOT as the pirates to find three other warring factions was kind of scary since my units were all damaged and I had to hole up in a safe place.

@dshirk not sure if you intended the safe zones to go entirely over open ocean, but hey, it happened!

Haven't been able to connect to a multiplayer game yet, so I've been playing hotseat. I really like the game. Nice and quick, but the AI is even worse than in the normal game. Uggh, hopefully I can get multiplayer up and running soon.

Haven't been able to connect to a multiplayer game yet, so I've been playing hotseat. I really like the game. Nice and quick, but the AI is even worse than in the normal game. Uggh, hopefully I can get multiplayer up and running soon.
Yeah they basically acknowledged that the AI for Red Death is just barebones to try to keep it running in case of disconnections. The mode isn't meant to be played with AI.

Just played my second round. The safe zone in the end forced us into an open ocean that i had passed thru early in the game. I waited at the edge of land for an extra two turns before following the last guy (who had a civilian and a foot unit remaining) with my army. No war, just waiting for him to corrode to death before me. I feel bad - kind of a lame win (but GG to the fella that stuck it out with me). But still was a fun game because traversing the open ocean NOT as the pirates to find three other warring factions was kind of scary since my units were all damaged and I had to hole up in a safe place.

@dshirk not sure if you intended the safe zones to go entirely over open ocean, but hey, it happened!
Also happened with me and I happened to choose pirates. If they're going to do that they might as well add naval units.

So I played with 3 cultist players in the game - that +3 sight is INCREDIBLY OP since mobile artillery armies can see everything and you can't get to where you are being attacked from often.

I really like the designs of the factions. But jeez, some are just ridiculous (which is probably why lots of people like Cultists - I love Wanderers myself).

^ Yeah, Cultists and Wanderers are my favourites, followed by Pirates.

I finally managed to connect to multiplayer Red Death games. It's a steep learning curve from playing with the AI, but definitely a much better game. I was the first one eliminated in my first multiplayer game, but I managed to win on my third game though. Good fun.

Again firaxis devs,
And their priorities are misguided.

Improve AI,
Fix bugs
Create another meaningfull exp.

Nope,
They decide to create bizzaro game that doesnt belong to the CIVILIZATION title.

Objectively, this hybrid mode,
Isnt complling, in any way.
Billions of other, good games for mp out there and he who has civ6,, will probably wont touch this one more tgan 1-2 plays.

There is nothing objective in what you are saying.

Top Bottom