Redesigned Colors and Icons (RCI) v.

[BNW] Redesigned Colors and Icons (RCI) 2-7-2019: v. 3.0

That is a bit of an annoyance with this pack. The easiest way would be to delete your assets folder and replace it with the backup you made when you installed it. Or if, like me, you didn't make a backup, simply "verify integrity" of game files through Steam. The download might take a while though. If that's an issue, you might be able to go through and delete specifically the files included in the mod. Much more tedious, but when you verify the game files it shouldn't take long at all.

Fortunately, in the next few days I should have a version that isn't so invasive and is just a folder you place in the DLC folder (like EUI if you use that). In that case, disabling is as easy as removing the folder.

Once that's out, I'd recommend everyone using the mod remove it in the above manner and use the updated version. It might be a pain, but will make enabling/disabling it much simpler.

Thanks for bearing with me on that.
Successfully removed it, thanks! I'll reinstall the next version. I think what happened here was I tried further tweaking the colours and designs and ended up deleting something I shouldn't have.

Fortunately, in the next few days I should have a version that isn't so invasive and is just a folder you place in the DLC folder (like EUI if you use that). In that case, disabling is as easy as removing the folder.

That's great! I was put off trying this mod because of the potential difficulty of removing it should I not like it. Having gained a bit of experience with making my own UI mods in the DLC style, I had a go at tweaking your mod into the same style, and it works fine (at least for BNW). All I had to do was create a simple Civ5Pkg file. I don't think the change to the config file is then necessary. Anyway it will be good to have an official version, and hopefully more people will try it this way.

With your mod, the textures mod and religious icons mod I think my game looks beautiful - thanks for your excellent work.

That's great! I was put off trying this mod because of the potential difficulty of removing it should I not like it. Having gained a bit of experience with making my own UI mods in the DLC style, I had a go at tweaking your mod into the same style, and it works fine (at least for BNW). All I had to do was create a simple Civ5Pkg file. I don't think the change to the config file is then necessary. Anyway it will be good to have an official version, and hopefully more people will try it this way.

With your mod, the textures mod and religious icons mod I think my game looks beautiful - thanks for your excellent work.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. I assume you used this technique to create it?

The difficulty I'm running into is that it now interferes a bit with other DLC mods, and possibly regular mods as well. I'm working on figuring out exactly how to make it compatible with EUI for example, but it might take more troubleshooting for other mods so I'm not sure it's quite as rugged as before. Perhaps a bit disappointing, but hopefully it will work out.

I might have to rely on those doing their own testing to figure out the best way to make it work. I'm admittedly not the most familiar with Civ modding, so there's plenty I don't know that others might be able to help with. Once I upload it, I'd appreciate if you could let me know how it works with other mods and figure how to improve compatibility.

No, I didn't use the technique in the thread you linked. The Civ5Pkg file is just a plain text file, so I looked at the ones for EUI and Estebanium's texture mod and made my own (with a bit of guesswork). I then made a folder in DLC containing the new CivPkg file and the Assets folder from your mod. Seems to work fine with EUI and the texture mod. If you need help with making a Civ5Pkg file, it would be better to get advice form someone who actually knows what they are doing :) - it's one thing to hack one for my personal use, and another to make one fit for publishing. However I'm fairly confident that this method works.

I have only modified LUA and XML to "improve" the UI, and used the same technique as above with folders in the DLC folder; I don't know anything about other modding techniques. Also, I don't use any mods that need to be activated through the MODS menu, so I can't comment on compatibility - however unless a mod changes some of the same files that you do, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Good luck!

dylansan updated Redesigned Colors and Icons (RCI) v. with a new update entry:

DLC Modpack

This update does away with the clunky installation involving copying files in the assets folder. Instead, it is a single folder placed in the DLC folder of your Civ V installation, for easy enabling and disabling.

Because it's a beta, compatibility with other mods is uncertain, so if you have a compatibility issue, post it in the discussion topic, along with any solution if you've come up with one. I may not be able to help troubleshoot, but I will try, and hopefully others will be able to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Could you please post a download with every individual icon of all sizes (32-256) so I can make a custom atlas? I only want to use your redesigned icons for specific civs, but they're all bound in one DDS atlas

Last edited:
Could you please post a download with every individual icon of all sizes (32-256) so I can make a custom atlas? I only want to use your redesigned icons for specific civs, but they're all bound in one DDS atlas
I haven't tested this, but would it be possible to simply remove the <Update> lines in PlayerColors.xml and PlayerIcons.xml corresponding to the Civs in question? That way it should use the default icons and colors.

In fact, if you included your own atlas, you could change the update lines to use assign whichever atlas you like to each civ, so you could theoretically include icons from other mods if you felt like it.

Let me know if that works.

Hi

Sadly the latest beta version does not work for me, possibly due to EUI. However I am continuing to use the previous version with my own hacked modpack implementation.

I hit a bug which I think would also affect the previous standard implementation, which overwrites files in the assets folder. The file CIV5Civilization_Mongol.xml seems to be based on the vanilla version, rather than the later version, as it doesn't have the definitions for religions or spys. I believe that caused my game to crash when the mongols were present on reaching the renaissance era.

I haven't tested this, but would it be possible to simply remove the <Update> lines in PlayerColors.xml and PlayerIcons.xml corresponding to the Civs in question? That way it should use the default icons and colors.

I prefer the original colors for just a few civs, assyria, carthage, and byzantium. So I removed the update lines in both of those xml files. But for some reason I don't understand, these three civs still have the modified colorization when I load the game. So this mod is somehow remove-update-lines-to-use-default-colors proof. I'm trying to understand how this is the case. 0_o
Very good job on the colors though, no complaints. It is just small matter of preference for these three civs specifically, or 4 civs actually. I just remembered that I like Russia's yellow and black alot.

Have you attempted to run this again with newest VP?
I have. For reference, I ran it with the latest VP at the time of writing (5/20), 43-Civ + EUI, still causes the whole less game options thing when setting up a game. However! It does seem to work once you've made the game. Ensure you have NOT installed the faux-DLC (RCI v2.0) beforehand. Create a game of your choosing, apply the settings, generate the map, save, and close Civ. Insert the RCI 2.0b faux-DLC into your Civ directory, in order to tackle the problem of Vox Populi-exclusive game options not displaying. This will allow you to make a game with VP options, and will allow you to use RCI without issues. So you won't have that problem of you're previous game not showing the new colours. Note that this is just a theory, I'm still playtesting this to certify it works 100%. Give it a shot, and tell me what you think.
RCI v2.0b. Conflict with VP (9-27) +EUI
Prevent plantation to be built
Also shrink options in RAS v15
Just tried to create a plantation, works fine for me. I think that was a bug that's no longer present in VP/EUI. But it definitely doesn't cause issues for me, anyhow.

EDIT: My guide is outdated. Read below to see the post that references how to make it work, my method is obselete. My apologies.

Last edited:
I just install into /Mods directory now and there are no issues. Don't use it as dlc!
As I say, I'd like to see if other people have problems doing it this way. But, until I find out otherwise, this works for me. Whether it'll cause issues later on is another subject entirely. Each to their own, after all :)

EDIT: My guide is outdated. Read below to see the post that references how to make it work, my method is obselete. My apologies.

Last edited:
It is what is stated to do by the author of the Mod. It is not "to each their own".

Referenced to this post as stated in the "MODs compatible with Community Balance Patch (CBP)" forum:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...alance-patch-cbp.542679/page-33#post-14929738

Okay I did what he said and still, when playing with the same civ a second game my own civ colors are not adapted. Everything works except my own civ color. They would be so nice, help :crazyeye:

Also, this guy is not the mod author. Wth?

dylansan updated Redesigned Colors and Icons (RCI) v. with a new update entry:

Structural overhaul as DLC mod - better compatibility

Code:
v 3.0        02-07-2019
    Structural overhaul as DLC mod - RCI is now a much more compact and
    standalone component, which should reduce compatibility problems.

fixed:
        - Last played civ has default icons instead of RCI's
            (when installed as a mod)
        - "More Luxuries" incompatibility: tile improvements can't be built on
            More Luxuries tiles (when installed as MPMPM DLC - this seemed to be
            true of all MPMPM packs, not just RCI)...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I don't have time to test it now.
Does "Redesigned Colors and Icons (RCI) (v 5)" fully compatible with VP now ?
I can't guarantee it without more testing, but it should be fully compatible now with v3.0.

I ought to clarify that the mod itself is v5, which is separate from the version number of the overall project. It's just a modbuddy thing, as it doesn't allow decimal versions like 1.3, etc. I haven't actually changed any of the colors from 2.0 to 3.0.

@dylansan Do you plan to add upcoming VP Israel and Phillipines to your mod?
I play with it and it works excellent now after your recent fixes! :)

Top Bottom