[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

Hi, so far I'm enjoying the mod a lot but I have the feeling that the yields of the buildings that transform raw resources into finished products are not adjusted to the 2 plots city radius.
The bigger radius adds 14 extra plots to work. Because of this I end with lots of raw resources and the problem for me is that I can't process all those resources into finished products because the buildings are exactly like in vanilla colonization.

Tier 1 2 workplaces 3 yields per citizen
Tier 2 3 workplaces 6 yields per citizen
Tier 3 3 workplaces 6 yields per citizen +50% production of the appropriate yield

Even on a city surrounded by taiga with 0 bonus resources I'm able to produce much more furs and valuable wood that I can process in the city.
Personally I think that all industries should follow the same pattern that the coffee and cocoa industry with the storage building chain where you need much more citizens than with the other industries. It's the only one where I will need to import raw resources from other cities.
I know that the mod isn't developed at the moment so I will mod those changes myself but I wanted to know if I'm the only one having this feeling.

Try using more different resources. RaR has vast amount of new resources, so instead of devoting four tiles to one resource, you can easily devote two each to different resource. Say, you have a colony on the coast, on the border of tundra and plains, with some hills thrown in. 8 tiles are sea, 5 tundra, 8 plains and 3 hills (whatever terrain). So you use sea for fishing, hills for ore, 2 tundra each for furs and valuable wood, 1 tundra 1 plains for lumber to max out production, 2 plains for cattle, 2 for cotton and dyes each, and you're left with one plains tile for either farming, barley farming or horse ranching, whatever you need. This way you have filled 9-10 max level buildings for material processing (including lumber) in one colony, and are producing small amount of excess raw materials. If you have a bonus resource, you can produce enough raw materials to fully supply a max level building from one tile, so you can devote another tile to something else.

And if you're really out of ideas, use the tile for food production. Don't forget that hunting for regular furs produces food too...

On that note, and not as a criticism, I've been playing for domination wins on gigantic maps so when I get on a role in the mid game I stop micro managing some cities because I'm more concerned about moving the hundreds of troops need to conquer and I'll forget about another civs city that was conquered until i get the message that storage is getting tight and check and see a city with a few thousand furs in it and just chuckle. Not worth trading and too much to work. If I have a ship nearby I'll just keep loading the ship and just dumping it so I won't get the message every turn. But still having a riot playing so thanks again guys.
Being at war with every Indian tribe and European nation can be hilarious.

I just had a little weird idea for new improvement. Village.

It could only be built on land bonus resource, within firendly territory but outside colony radius and would consume the pioneer upon building. It wouldn't do anything on its own, but some transport units, like oxcarts, coastal ships (for coastal villages) etc (but not carriages, treks or oceangoing ships) could be set to automatic gathering there like whaling or fishing boats, delivering the produced resource from there to nearest colony. Of course, the production per turn would be lower than colonist working the tile from colony.The goods produced would depend on bonus resource.

It might be just a little thing, since the production would be low, but it would give the early transports some use by mid/late game, as in my games they have virtually no use-I pop a trek or two early to facilitate the early transportation and trade with inland native settlements, and then it's all carriages, which are by far best mode of transport between colonies.

It should also provide a little defense bonus, like monasteries.

Last edited:
i think it is great that the modding started again, but i think the main problem at the moment is that there isnt an "official" release of the mod. There is 2.7 but that is bugged as hell and it is hard to find all the patches in the different threads. I am still unsure if i have the "latest" version. This leads to cases where bugs which are actually fixed are reported again. So if @devolution could step up and bring something like 2.7_final that would be great.

I just had a little weird idea for new improvement. Village.

It could only be built on land bonus resource, within firendly territory but outside colony radius and would consume the pioneer upon building. It wouldn't do anything on its own, but some transport units, like oxcarts, coastal ships (for coastal villages) etc (but not carriages, treks or oceangoing ships) could be set to automatic gathering there like whaling or fishing boats, delivering the produced resource from there to nearest colony. Of course, the production per turn would be lower than colonist working the tile from colony.The goods produced would depend on bonus resource.

I love this idea! I've wanted something like this for a long time, especially for valuable but remote resources (gold, silver, etc.) and for resources I want to explo... err... harvest, but which are between two cities, too far for the cities to reach but too close to justify an entire new city just for that resource.

One thing I'd change is to make it so they can be built anywhere, but if they're outside of your cultural control then you don't "own" it, much like a fort. Whoever happens to have their wagons there is the person getting the resources, and until they leave you're locked out. This would give you access to far-flung resources but you'd have to put a military unit there to protect it from interlopers. That, or you build a fort within two tiles so it will create cultural influence for you.

Yeah, it's always such a shame to see a gold resource in the mountains with no square that could support a city near enough. There should be some type of collector unit. Maybe even just a pioneer sitting on the space doing a collect order. One that could be raided by natives if you didn't commit a military troop to protect.

The "You're becoming a drain on my military" diplomacy penalty with your king seems to be rather severe in last version. It seems to increase whenever you get an unit from event concerning the King, not just when you ask for military unit. So last game, I quickly ended with -17 penalty while I never asked King for units and kept only small military.

High! I have two questions.
  1. About RaR's system of Founding Fathers. In Colonipedia they say that FFs leave civilization if it is defeated. Once I totally destroyed French colonies, their FFs stayed with them. And there was no message about their defeat.
  2. So the second question is: how to defeat European colonies?

Just capturing all their colonies isn't enough. As long as they have any ships capable of transporting colonists, they're alive and can come back. Sink those to eliminate them. Then the FFs should be free again.

Good day, thank you for the answer. I've just done an experiment with the war with Sweden. When I destroy their colonies and all their ships, they get a new ship with two colonists. When I destroy that ship, they suddenly get a new one from nowhere! And so it goes to infinity! How is it possible?

[...]
Even on a city surrounded by taiga with 0 bonus resources I'm able to produce much more furs and valuable wood that I can process in the city.
Personally I think that all industries should follow the same pattern that the coffee and cocoa industry with the storage building chain where you need much more citizens than with the other industries. It's the only one where I will need to import raw resources from other cities.
I know that the mod isn't developed at the moment so I will mod those changes myself but I wanted to know if I'm the only one having this feeling.

Well, there is a much simpler solution to this balancing issue. You edit the number of citizen for each building. I preffer to double them and also add a increasing 25-50-75-100% bonus for production while also increasing necessary hammers and tools.

I believe 2-3 citizen for each building are way too low. My top tier buildings all have 12-14 workers.

That is also interesting since you easily get food issues and squalor (health) issues. So it's up to you if you want to also upgrade citizens/bonuses for health buildings thus having 100+ citizens cities and making food the biggest issue or keeping it simple and making squalor/health your biggest concern.

Personally I preffer the first one.

If you need details for modding, I am happy to provide.

Hello

Can anyone tell me how to consistently build paved/plastered roads? I think I have tried every combination and I must be missing something. I can build them at times but it seems random and I cannot figure out how to build them "on purpose" every time. Anyone help?

Also, hdd, if you see this I'd take the info on increasing the number of colonists in a building.

First of all RAR is dead. You should play We The People. The current version (2.7.1.1) is a bugfix release for RAR 2.7 and it is intentionally savegame compatible as in it can read RAR savegames, but RAR can't read WTP savegames.

The advanced roads are upgrades to existing basic roads meaning you need to build a basic road before you can build the fast roads.

Top Bottom