Remembering 9/11 2001

Globber

Professional Slacker
1 year, people, I still remember where I was, I'll never forget

I heard about it on the car radio just after the first plane hit. Went to work and saw the rest.

I was watching the news when the second one hit.

This is what stands out as my clearest memory.

I watched the first one fall on TV. Went into the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee. I was on the phone with my brother, who was also watching it on TV. He said, "The building just fell." I said, "I know, I just told you, remember?". He said, "No, the other one fell."

Originally posted by Håkan Eriksson
I was thinking of all the people that want war now. Who are you going to go up against in a war? (maybe "up against" sin't the best word since you are the big guy but anyway...).

Wath if the terrorist were from...

...Afganhistan. Then you would maybe send in some fighters and missiles, right?

...Irak. The missilies again.

...Palestina. Same again.

...The United States of America. Then wath? With if it were som sick American guys who did it?

...Great Brittain or any other west allied. Will we se a missile attack for the US that destroys every military and important builings in London. As you have done before in Iraq?

I have edited this post. Sorry, Hakan if I offended you.

I didn't notice the date...
Accept my apologies...

Unless Hakan has changed his dogtag (with good reason) how did he bring this thread back to life?

My memory of Sept 11th was saying that the Americans were going to go mad...I am extremely impressed by how measured and generally well focussed the American reaction has been.

I was very moved by hearing that people were faced with the awful decision of choosing their fate...burning or leaping to their death, I could envisage having to make such a choice :(

I remember it too.
I arrived in the carribean on Sep 5 and I hadn't electricity yet.
When the plane crashed,I was at school,confirming my registration ,was said to come back in the afternoon for my 1st hour.

At noon,my father came back from his job and told us about it.
His superior' son worked in the WTC,therefore he panicked but his son phoned to say that he was ok,he was on a trip.

Originally posted by Globber
1 year, people, I still remember where I was, I'll never forget

I remember where I was too.
I was in my Science class in school when the 1st plane crashed and in PE when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th plane hit.

It was sad during the first hour. It was sad all throughout the first day and the first week. Even the first month.

But one year later the only people/things I have sympathy for are those who suffered a direct human loss in the attacks. It makes me sick the way the government has used such a horrid event to its advantage. Truly disgusting.

--Ex

I was preparing to leave on a trip to Springfield, the Illinois state capital, driving my boss to a meeting there. It was about an hour before I had to meet him, when my mom called on the phone, crying. She told me to turn the TV on (I almost never watch it), because we were under attack. When I turned the TV on, it was showing the video of the first tower collapsing. I can't put my reaction into words. I called my boss and asked him if we were still going to Springfield. He didn't know, but called back later to say that we were. My wife didn't want me to go, but I had to do my job and she understood that.

The whole day had an eerie feeling to it. On the trip to Springfield, about a 1 1/2 hour drive, we didn't talk; we just listened to the radio. Traffic on the highway, a major east-west interstate route, was very light. Springfield looked like a ghost town. The governor had ordered all government buildings closed and evacuated. His meeting didn't last very long.

On the way back home, we discovered a panic underway. People were panic buying gasoline. There was a rumor that fuel supplies had been disrupted, or would be, and many people believed the rumor. Some less scrupulous gas station managers raised prices in response, sometimes a great deal. One station in Decatur was selling fuel for over $5.00 a gallon. I'm happy to say that the Illinois Attorney General dropped the hammer on those price gougers.

Another thing that made the day surreal. We have a couple of airports in the area, and we are also under the flight path of air traffic between St. Louis and Indianapolis. A lot of aircraft are always flying overhead. Only after US airspace was locked down did I realize just how much a part of the background all that air traffic was. For the first time ever, I could look up into the sky and not see contrails. Disturbing.

As you can see, that day is vividly stamped into my memory. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to actually be there as it was happening.

You're very right Ex. I live in Brooklyn, so I guess I was "personally"affected. My dad used to work there so heknew alot of people...

I was in school too, when our teachertold us. No one believed that they collapsed---the general cosensus was: no way, they didn't collapse, that's just a stupid rumor.

If only we were right.

AFter school I went down to the pier to look...damn isall I can say. IT was pretty scary, seeing all that smoke and nnothing there---I've been in the building a few times, when my dad workedthere.Anyway,I'llnever forget either.

FSorryfortypos, my keyboard is screwing up.

Where I was was interesting to me, although I am not going to indulge in that for the moment. I have - for the first time, btw - read through the first 3 pages of this so far, and it is interesting as a sort of bizarre CFC historical record, if such a thing exists.

What frightens and sickens me is reading Juize's reaction, which quite frankly makes me want to go and personally (!^^%@^*%@&*$*$%#$^%#$ unprintable have a nice day) in a very cool way, and proves perfectly how conspiracy theories start. Even as the towers were falling, this guy is busy trying to explain his BS conspiracy theory.

Frankly, how anyone at that moment, with the information they had, could be thinking anything but "when does it end?" and "how many dead/how many saved?" is beyond me. Yes, sometime around 2:00pm that day, it did occur to me that there would be a war. Beleive me, it was fairly low on my list of reactions.

R.III

Amen. (and this is in response to Richard III)

I was at work having an e-mail discussion with a friend of mine about English football. He went on a long raving rant about Man United and ended it with "So how about those planes that hit the World Trade Centre? Sounds like quite a mess".

I went to ask other people what the hell he was talking about, for the first 10 minutes no one had any idea of what was going on until someone found a radio.

I was supposed to fly to Korea on Sept 20, two of my colleagues were on a plane bound for there which took off at roughly the same time as the attacks. Poor buggers were pulled down in Winnipeg and stuck there for 5 days.

Things were a zoo in many Canadian cities with planes bound from Europe and Asia headed for the US landing here.

That was the last of my concerns that day...

After preparing to go home for the day (I was still stationed in Germany then), I was shocked to see soldiers running down the streets of our post to draw weapons and ammunition.

Walking inside to see what happened, I watched the first tower fall. Everyone that was in the cafeteria where I watched stopped breathing. I remember that well. They just stopped.

I then called my wife, who was in tears, and nearly lost it myself telling her that I had no real idea what the hell was going on. Or when I was coming home that day...

After we were released for the evening, I drove home on a nearly empty Autobahn 73, thru a hollow feeling Nuernberg. To my apartment building, where a passing German neighbor told me in German that she was sorry.

THAT's what I won't ever forget about that crazy day.

P.S. The next morning, I drove back to my base at 0430, and was amazed to see hundreds and hundreds of candles, cards, and banners. Nearly all of them were from the German residents of Bamberg, the city I was stationed at. I had left the night before at 2200, so the people who gave the cards did it throughout the night.

That's when I realized that this wasn't just an attack on America, it was an attack on humanity.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Originally posted by CurtSibling
I'll always remember watching the 2nd plane hit the towers live on the mini TV in my works office.
"This is it. This is war."

That is like my expeience, I too watched on live TV the murder of hundreds, and know then it would certainly be war.
I am more coldblooded and less sentimental than most. Memorials tommorow, which I will participate in, are good for the community around me but have limited value for me, less value, I confess, than having a number of our enemies captured or destroyed. I have no need to hate or demonize our enemies, and do not do so. I do have need to obliterate their capabilities to damage us.

AoA, as you see in some posts, got to watch this out his office window, and knew several of the victims.

Top Bottom