Cargo ship destroys interstate bridge in Baltimore

Remember the pancaking of the World Trade Centers. All constructions have weaknesses that can manifest themselves under the right circumstances while being both strong and stable under the circumstances they were designed for.

Are the conspiracymongers doing their thing yet? Probably.

I was surprised how quickly the entire bridge went down. Why no "bumpers"? And also, I thought that this bridge must be poorly designed if that causes the entire thing to go down like that...

I think I read somewhere that bridges like this do have bumpers, but a 95,000 ton ship goes through them like a main battle tank would go through a street's guardrail.

The cargo ship was comparable in tonnage to a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier?
It looked like it was leaving port with a full load.

Yes, the damn Chinese are knocking our bridges down with *checks notes* 40 years of defunding the services that prevented this from happening. Damn Chinese. Truly the Manchurian candidate was Reagan all along

Yes, the damn Chinese are knocking our bridges down with *checks notes* 40 years of defunding the services that prevented this from happening. Damn Chinese. Truly the Manchurian candidate was Reagan all along
Please link us to an article about how the bridge has not been maintained. I do agree that, until Biden, infrastructure has been sorely neglected in the US. But that does not mean this bridge was neglected.

I think I read somewhere that bridges like this do have bumpers, but a 95,000 ton ship goes through them like a main battle tank would go through a street's guardrail.

The cargo ship was comparable in tonnage to a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier?
It looked like it was leaving port with a full load
A container carrier this size fully loaded can displace almost like two super carriers. For Dali Dead weight tonnage is 117,000 tons, that is the weight the ship can load not counting the weight of the ship itself, add a 15-20% for a ship this size to calculate max displacement. So about 130k or 140k tons displacement in total. There are larger container carriers obviously like the Emma Maersk (a ship I have been in :) ), but even that monster is relatively light compared to some bulk carriers, which can displace several times more. Hellespont Alhambra class crude carriers can displace 500k tons and the heaviest crude carrier ever built, the Seawise Giant, alias Knock Nevis, alias Jarhe Viking, etc could displace like 600k tons fully loaded or even more.

Last edited:
Please link us to an article about how the bridge has not been maintained. I do agree that, until Biden, infrastructure has been sorely neglected in the US. But that does not mean this bridge was neglected.
Not what I said eh? I’m talking about the much broader trend of cutting margins down and keeping ships and ports running with minimal personnel and a minimum of maintenance and upkeep. It’s a perfectly safe bridge you say? Oh they worked their hardest to keep that bridge maintained? Well they should have maybe thought about the consequences of floating these massive barges on “just in time” maintenance schedules past those flimsy piles every day. Eh but what do I know, I’m not an executive Vice president of accounts, nor a geriatric commander in chief casting pearls before swine.

Why ask for evidence about this? Why not ask for evidence to support the "was it a Chinese ship" nonsense? :D

You gotta love the border guard Vikings liking that post you know fronting all like “yeah you tell em! No excuses for Chinese ships with Indian crews!” When it was a fully licensed and certified American piloting the ship which literally anyone who knew anything about commercial shipping into and out of the U.S. continental waterways could tell you.

Here it was reported they did drop anchors, but likely it was not enough to stop the ship or seriously alter the course in time..
It would never stop the ship. It can only prevent drifting to an extent. You still need those engines. If a big ship is moving and the chain ends up fighting it the chain will give first. The drag is negligible.

you can come up with stuff without that . Say , the bridge named after the guy the wrote that they were not afraid of the red glare of rockets and this was not the bridge the reportedly Ukranian captain would like to see falling .

Ship was 100% Singapore afaik and not Chinese at all. Totally baseless conspiracy theory. Not only it is silly but grossly underestimate Chinese intelligence. They have better ways for demolishing western bridges.

I'd recommend not browsing Twitter/X. :hide:
I don't usually bother with that site.

I did notice one of the cruise channels I watch on YT mention that this is going to make things difficult for ships that travel in that region. Not that it has any personal effect on me, and there are plenty of other places in the world where they can do their cruising.

Are the conspiracymongers doing their thing yet? Probably.

Pretty much as soon as it happened people were tweeting about cyberattacks, distractions, etc.

Top Bottom