[RD] Restrictions on Abortions are illiberal

Evolution deprives woman their right to exercise control over their bodies, should we abolish that as well?
What are you talking about?

Granted, there are some things about the way the female body has evolved that are highly inconvenient and really, really STUPID, but medical science has been working on that.

I don't see or understand the need to insert the theory of evolution into this discussion at all.
I look at it as similar to how Reformacons don't understand the concept of "selfies." A term, improperly understood by someone who opposes it, gets trotted out on a frequent basis.

Granted, there are some things about the way the female body has evolved that are highly inconvenient and really, really STUPID
Trust me, that's true for men as well - I know, because I've talked to a lot of them.

Like, remember when the fake feminists always talk about manspearding? If I had to deal with two golf

I don't really see how you can make weird comparisons (it has been pointed repeatedly how the rape comparison is completely bogus and I already asked why body self-determination would be somewhat considered sacred and without exception) and then suddendly claim that a comparison is invalid :p

You claim it's about double-standards, but what I notice is that you are the one using double-standard : you consider body self-determination to be absolute and unhamperable regardless of your actions, unlike life or liberty. That is a double-standard.
No, the difference is that I don't claim to make a point about the specifics of the whole situation. What I tried to do is deconstruct the whole thing and look at all the elements on their own. That's where these comparisons come from, I do take all parts of the whole, and compare them to similar situations - and when I do that, I come to the conclusion that none of the elements would be an acceptable reason for a ban by themselves, and that there is no "interplay" between them that I would see as a good reason for why combining them is a game changer.

In the end, I agree with most people here, those are the same arguments that I'd make if I were to defend the ban, but still don't believe it's really a morally consistent stance. :D It's more that because the consequences are more severe and because the agency of the woman has led her into a situation where another being would suffer if we allowed her the right, that we would find that highly immoral, but I still think it's more of a "feelings"-thing than that there's any good explanation for why her right that is otherwise handled as a universal right ends there.

In the end, I agree with most people here, those are the same arguments that I'd make if I were to defend the ban, but still don't believe it's really a morally consistent stance. :D
Going to repeat myself, but I really don't see how "you created a life dependence on someone, so you have the obligation to fulfill this dependence" as "inconsistent".

Because again, without your decision, that life would not exist in the first place.
You phrase it (and in your example you make it look that way too), as if being pregnant is the same as taking somebody who is perfectly viable and put them into a relationship of dependency.

If that were the case then yeah, I would agree, but it is not, and either you do not understand that difference, or you do have a different reaction to that difference, because for me it changes the whole picture.

Because again, without your decision, that life would not exist in the first place.
And again, following this reasoning you would have right to life or death on any of your descendants. This is nonsensical.
You phrase it (and in your example you make it look that way too), as if being pregnant is the same as taking somebody who is perfectly viable and put them into a relationship of dependency.
It's creating someone new and putting them in a relationship of dependency. I fail to see the difference in term of responsibility. What makes you responsible is to create the dependency, how the life came into being is completely irrelevant.
If you cloned a baby in a vat and then left him to die you would be just as much a murderer.
If that were the case then yeah, I would agree, but it is not, and either you do not understand that difference, or you do have a different reaction to that difference, because for me it changes the whole picture.
It changes absolutely nothing, and I really don't see how it could. Your entire reasoning here makes no sense.

I don't know that you can really say they "created" the dependency. It's not like women are telling their bodies "ok, I want you to take this sperm and make a baby with it." The reproductive system is a force of nature all on its own.

And again, following this reasoning you would have right to life or death on any of your descendants. This is nonsensical.
No it is not, like I said around 5 times now. The rest of your descendants, unless they all live in your womb, are not dependent on your body, so bodily integrity, or bodily autonomy don't apply at all.

It's creating someone new and putting them in a relationship of dependency. I fail to see the difference in term of responsibility. What makes you responsible is to create the dependency, how the life came into being is completely irrelevant.
If you cloned a baby in a vat and then left him to die you would be just as much a murderer.
No, I disagree. If you create a life and terminate it before it is able to sustain itself, then I don't think you are a murderer.

It changes absolutely nothing, and I really don't see how it could. Your entire reasoning here makes no sense.
To you, that's obvious. To me it makes a lot of sense, and on top of that, I also understand your reasoning and why my conclusion is a different one from yours.
So I do not think my "reasoning here makes no sense", the problem is that I am unable to communicate it in a way that is understandable.

I think the onus is on those denying freedom to specify why it should be denied, not on those demanding freedom to prove their worthiness of it.
The freedom of the mother extends until it interacts with the life of the child. At that point the child's right to live takes priority. Done.

What new has been added to the conversation?

J

No it is not, like I said around 5 times now. The rest of your descendants, unless they all live in your womb, are not dependent on your body, so bodily integrity, or bodily autonomy don't apply at all.
You're switching points. The body integrity argument is countered by "you put the baby in life dependency, so you have to hold your responsibilities".
Here you are trying to make another argument that you are allowed to let someone die if you're the reason why he exists, and I counter this by pointing the absurdity of allowing someone to kill any of his descendants.
No, I disagree. If you create a life and terminate it before it is able to sustain itself, then I don't think you are a murderer.
So killing an infant that is under something like what, 2 years old, is not murder ?
To you, that's obvious. To me it makes a lot of sense, and on top of that, I also understand your reasoning and why my conclusion is a different one from yours.
So I do not think my "reasoning here makes no sense", the problem is that I am unable to communicate it in a way that is understandable.
Either that, or there is simply a lack of logical link between the premises and the conclusions :p

You're switching points. The body integrity argument is countered by "you put the baby in life dependency, so you have to hold your responsibilities".
Here you are trying to make another argument that you are allowed to let someone die if you're the reason why he exists, and I counter this by pointing the absurdity of allowing someone to kill any of his descendants.
I'm not making that point at all, I'm making the point that if you're the creator of a being, and that being has not left the stage of being dependent on you, then it is not murder to cause their death, simply because bodily autonomy does trump the right to life, if living means being dependent on a host. The fact that you created that situation does simply not change that. (And now we're at the starting place for the fourth time)

So killing an infant that is under something like what, 2 years old, is not murder ?
Nope. But I did indeed phrase that extremely poorly, what I meant to say was of course that it does not need your body to sustain itself, or rather to be viable. Any responsibility that does not include having to leech off your body is a very different case, because bodily autonomy is not a factor.

Either that, or there is simply a lack of logical link between the premises and the conclusions :p
A possible reason from your perspective, yes.

bodily autonomy does trump the right to life, if living means being dependent on a host. The fact that you created that situation does simply not change that.
I might agree somewhat on the first part, but the second is just wrong, and we're constantly back to it because you haven't managed to actually make a good case for it.

Would you say falling down stairs while drunk and losing the baby in the process could justify charges of Criminally Negligent Manslaughter?

Legally I don't know, but morally I'd say yeah.
Drinking heavily or smoking while pregnant would in any case enter in the "irresponsible a-hole" category.

Evolution deprives woman their right to exercise control over their bodies, should we abolish that as well?
Absolutely. I work in medical science to give folks the tools to override the barriers evolution puts up.

Bodily autonomy trumps life if you created the life?

I took my kid on a long 400 km trip to another city. Put her in the car, made sure the carseat was functional, and then took off.

About 100 km in, she started crying. Crying and crying and crying. It was a veritable assault upon my ears. It hurt. Like, really hurt.

So I placed her on the side of the road and drove off. She was no longer violating my ears, essentially enslaving them to listen to her mewling and shrieking.

It's like saying: "You had a chance to say that you didn't want sex the 10 minutes before, now it's too late, I'm already pounding you."

I've got another one. "You know what, dear lady, I changed my mind. Give me my flowers back and get out of my place. Call a taxi for you? You are joking, give me back the money I spent on your dinner, and no taxi. Do not invade my AC sockets with your filthy pink phone, please. Go out that damn door now! You are naked, so what? I put your utterly immodest clothing out of the window, find it yourself. It is cold and snowing there? How's that my problem? I just don't want some naked parasites to infest my home, nor be fed or transported at my expense. Stop crying, just close the door from the outside, parasite. This is my home, my personal space, do you understand? You violated my space, you violated me! And this doormat you are sitting on is my property too, I have full agency over it. Enough, I am calling the police. What, you are okay to have sex now? Sorry, but sitting naked and crying on my doormat doesn't make you worth of my great and sacred prize called erection, not mentioning all the effort and time needed to make your sexually undisciplined body come to a climax."

Moderator Action: Such extended sexual metaphors fall well below CFC's "family friendly" audience and are not appropriate in any thread. ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you say falling down stairs while drunk and losing the baby in the process could justify charges of Criminally Negligent Manslaughter?
Forget the stairs. Getting drunk is enough for a misdemeanor. The law deals with such questions all the time. What is reasonable changes as medical knowledge changes.

Going back to the OP and title, it is interesting that you think protecting the helpless is not liberal. This is not unusual. On this subject the political extremes are inverted from usual, with conservatives favoring government intervention and increased regulation.

J

Absolutely. I work in medical science to give folks the tools to override the barriers evolution puts up.
At least that is a point I can work with. Basing rights on ideology is rather whimsical and emotional to say the least.

Top Bottom