Returning Civs - Elimination Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assyrians 2
Babylonians 28
Byzantines 9 (8 + 1) Are very interesting and underrated by the history books.
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11
Ethiopians 18 (21 - 3) While these guys are interesting, they don't deserve to be over 20 compared to the others that are above 20.
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 14
Iroquois 12
Khmer 20
Koreans 17
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 18
Portuguese 11
Siamese 18

Assyrians ELIMINATED ( =2 - 3)
Babylonians 28
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 14
Iroquois 12
Khmer 20
Koreans 17
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19 (=18 +1)
Portuguese 11
Siamese 18

It's hard to choose one to get rid of from this list, but I'll put the Assyrians out of their misery. A worthy addition, sure, but super-early warmongering is not a niche that needs filling in Civ VI, the mantle having been taken by the Aztecs and Sumerians quite handily. I'm afraid a siege tower is going to come find me now, but it must be done for the good of the game!

The addition of the Persians makes the Ottomans #1 in the I Can't Believe They're Not In The Game Already stakes. In fact, I'm amazed they're not higher in the rankings already (no shade to the Inca and Mongols, who are also worthy winners of this thread). With the Janissary unit already extant in the Poland scenario, I have a hunch we'll be seeing the Turks pretty soon.

Babylonians 28
Byzantines 9 (8 + 1) -- I realize Europe and especially the Balkans are overrepresented, but I'd blithely cut Macedon and Greece to include Byzantium.
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 11 (14 - 3) -- I wouldn't mind some form of Indonesian civ returning, but I'm in no rush for it.
Iroquois 12
Khmer 20
Koreans 17
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 11
Siamese 18

Edited to account for Uberfrog's vote.

Babylonians 28
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 8 (11-3) - I'm not really into south-east-asia (and besides Khmer and Siamese the Indonesians are the least interessting for me)
Iroquois 12
Khmer 20
Koreans 18 (17+1) - I'd really like a siege-UU in the game (the Hwacha replacing the Bombard for example)
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 11
Siamese 18

Last edited:
Babylonians 28
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 8
Iroquois 13 (12+1) Need a North American native Civ.
Khmer 20
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 8 (11-3) NO MORE EUROPE, BEACH.
Siamese 18

Babylonians 28+1=29 A Top 5 priority at the very least.
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 11-3=8 Keeping an even keel with Portugal.
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 8
Iroquois 13
Khmer 20
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 8
Siamese 18

New
Babylonians 29
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 8+1=9 I don't get why people hate Europe. If a nation is accomplished, than it is accomplished.
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 8-3=5 Would love to see in game, but less important than the Netherlands.
Iroquois 13
Khmer 20
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 8
Siamese 18

Babylonians 29
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 5
Iroquois 13
Khmer (20+1)=21 If Indonesia won't survive long, I'm throwing my vote to the Khmer. I'm eager for at least one SE Asian Civ in the game. That region is empty at the moment. I'm sick of India, China, and Australia settling it in TSL maps...Pop Culture view of SE Asia is lacking too, and always tied to 20th century wars..
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 8
Siamese (18-3)=15 I don't find Siam as interesting as the Khmer and Indonesia for some reason. I also don't want Ramkhamhaeng back in the game. He was annoying, and resembled a certain former Thai PM...

I don't get why people hate Europe. If a nation is accomplished, than it is accomplished.

As a point of clarification, it's not that people hate Europe at all. This thread is just about prioritizing when we want the prior civs to return. Hopefully as many of these civs as possible will return. But given that over half the in-game civs are either European or Europe-derived Colonials, while Far East Asia, Africa and Pre-Columbian America are almost completely neglected, people just want to see these glaring omissions filled in first.

Last edited:
Babylonians 26 (29-3) compared to Akkad, Assyria they were unimportant and constantly dominated by others
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 21
Hittites 17
Incas 29
Indonesians 5
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 9 (8+1) they are even European champions
Siamese 15

Babylonians 26
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 18 (21- 3) Not a bad choice, but I'd rather see some new African civs first.
Hittites 17

Incas 30 (29 + 1)

obviously a favorite, and rightfully so. But why is this the leader? Because we lack a mountain civ? Because we need South America? Because we need Native Indians? Or because the Incas were just that awesome?
Yes, all the above.

Indonesians 5
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 18
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19
Portuguese 9
Siamese 15

Babylonians 26
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 17
Incas 30
Indonesians 5
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 18-3=15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 19+1=20
Portuguese 9
Siamese 15

I'm quite surprised to see the Koreans have made it this far, especially since people are voting for treacherous capitalist pigdog swine False Korea rather than glorious and infinitely prosperous True Korea led by Supreme leader and most magnanimous handsomest democratically elected president alive ever Kim Jong Un. This vexes me.

I'm also quite surprised to see the Ottomans floating so low in the water, I mean I understand why they'd fall under the Inca just due to the geography and almost completely lack of any pre-colonial powers in the entirety of the Americas, but below Mayans, Malians, Khmer, and even Babylon? That I do not understand nor do I agree. I like all those sides (still prefer Songhai to Mali and Siam to Khmer but I like either) but I definitely would take the Ottomans before them.

Babylonians 26
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 12 - 3 = 9 Again, I would like to see the Phoenicians this time in the game, but believe two Punnic civs would be too much
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 17
Incas 30
Indonesians 5
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20
Portuguese 9 + 1 = 10 Did I say Portugal was the most ancient nation-state of Europe ?
Siamese 15

Babylonians 26
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 9
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 17 - 3 = 14 It does not interest me as much as the others on this list.
Incas 30
Indonesians 5 + 1 = 6 It is the fourth most populous country in the world, just to start.
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

Babylonians 26+1=27 Since the implementation of Sumer has left much to be desired, we absolutely need a proper Mesopotamian civ. Babylon was the central hub of culture and learning in the region and has been in every prior Civ game.
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 9-3=6 As previously stated, I still want them back, but after some other civs first.
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 14
Incas 30
Indonesians 6
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

Babylonians 27
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 6+1=7 Fine, you hate the addition of European civs no matter how important they are, but why is the Netherlands less important than the Portuguese? Sure they were known for exploration and their navy, but there were also a fair number of Dutch explorers and the Dutch were also the number one navy in the world. However unlike the Portuguese, the Dutch also had the first modern republic, and first stock exchange, not to mention their contributions to the Reformation.
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 14
Incas 30
Indonesians 6-3=3 If the Dutch weren't so hated for no reason, I would have chose someone else. However, Indonesia should be implemented either with, or after the Netherlands.
Iroquois 13
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

As a point of clarification, it's not that people hate Europe at all. This thread is just about prioritizing when we want the prior civs to return. Hopefully as many of these civs as possible will return. But given that over half the in-game civs are either European or Europe-derived Colonials, while Far East Asia, Africa and Pre-Columbian America are almost completely neglected, people just want to see these glaring omissions filled in first.

@Dirk Hartog: Did you not see the above? No one is saying they hate Europe or that any given European civ is better or worse than any other.

Babylonians 24 = (27 - 3)
Byzantines 9
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 7
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 14
Incas 30
Indonesians 3
Iroquois 14 = (13 + 1)
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

Babylon have been building a veritable tower of Babel, so it behoves me to come in with some divine justice for their unacceptable hubris. This isn't to say Babylon isn't a deserving inclusion, but while the ancient civs are important, they are problematic in terms of game design, because they get an early lead that is hard to catch up with. You only need to look at Civ V's Babylon: a powerful early science bonus (which I'd imagine a most fitting civ ability for the Babylonians) leads to a snowballing effect. More civs from the later eras are a priority, I'd say, especally since we just got Macedon and Persia.

Native North American civilisations are a glaring omission in Civ VI's current roster, and I think the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, with some diplomatic bonuses (rather than the woods bonus of the previous game) would fit the bill nicely.

@Dirk Hartog: Did you not see the above? No one is saying they hate Europe or that any given European civ is better or worse than any other.

Also, the aim of the game is for people to express their preferences, not to establish some objective criteria of importance! Just look at the Civ Themes Elimination thread - Waltzing Matilda was scandalously thrown out of the door near the very beginning!

Babylonians 24
Byzantines 9+1=10 (my favorite on this list, with lots of interesting gameplay options)
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 7
Ethiopians 18
Hittites 14
Incas 30
Indonesians 3
Iroquois 14
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 20-3=17 (purely because I don't like their playstyle)
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

Babylonians 24
Byzantines 11 - Zarrin accidentally removed my vote.
Carthaginians 9
Dutch 7
Ethiopians 15 - Zarrin accidentally removed my vote.
Hittites 14
Incas 31 (30 + 1) Gotta make the Inca number one.
Indonesians 0 (3 - 3) Bye Bye, you were rather insignificant in the world's history other than having a bunch of spices that the Dutch conquered.
Iroquois 14
Khmer 21
Koreans 15
Malians 22
Mayans 22
Mongols 28
Ottoman Turks 17
Portuguese 10
Siamese 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom