1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC:Africa (Helpers needed!)

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Kubko, Dec 6, 2011.

1. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

I dont know how to mod so i will tell some ideas:

1) My opinion on mongol invasiosns:

Mongols should spaw in Iran and destroy the arabs and try to kill egypt. One of Egypts goals should be to defeat an x number of mongol units.

2. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

What is "Ka-ba",wasn't Niani the first capital of the Mali Empire?

3. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Ka-ba was the second capital, and a city actually possible to place accuratly on the map. The old Niani does not exist anymore, though if there is more people who'd like to change the capital to Niani, I couls try to find a somewhat accurate position.

4. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

On Mongols- I see them not as a civ, but barbs. They completely wiped out the Middle East, and almost took over Egypt as well, they just couldn't beat the Mamluks. This makes them a cruical part of NE African history.

On Zoroastrianism- Good point, I'm just throwing things out there, and I know way more about Europe and the Middle East than Africa.

On Paganism- I used the term "Ancestor Worship" on purpose. Africans were one of only two main ethnic groups to do this, the other being the Chinese and those they influenced. A better name may be in order, but I would still prefer something representing "Ancestor Worship"

On KoJ- Good points there. Can't ignnore the crusades when Jerusalem is there though.

New Idea for Corporations-

Corporations could represent Foreign Aid (or the lack thereof). For instance, the East India Company would give commerce bonuses for having certain resources. It would also give a Diplo boost with the Dutch if you embraced that sect for clan adoption. I will elaborate in a sec.

You could also choose to play "Isolationist", and be Zulu-style, wiping out the foreigners.

Now, these corporations could be "Embraced", sort of like religions. This would expel any other corporations from your cities within a few turns, as well as allowing you to actively spread your chosen Foreigner. The "Isolationist" branch would give moderate hits to all Euopean relations, but moderate gains to all African relations, aside from the basic corporation part.

This new mechanic would also replace the final tree of civics. The Stability one. It would, for example, have a "English Support" policy. That is how you would embrace different foreigners. You could not do so before you got that corporation in at least one of your cities.

I think that replacing the Stability tree would work, seeing as how they took it out in RFC: Asia (I think). Dosen't detract from gameplay there.

So, what do you guys think? Good idea, or bad idea?

5. veBear

Crusades and Mongols = Barb Spawn. Does that sound okay to everyone?

Paganism and Ancestor Worship could both be represented as religions I believe. Other religions would eventually be Islam, Christianity (excludng Orthodox... could be spread to some cities, and you then get the choice to either deny or embrace this new religion, who then will have to be spread through the use of missionaries to keep your empire stable. Stability hit if under half of your cities have Christianity if your state is Ancestor Worship or Paganism) and Orthodox (Ethiopia will have this one together with Byzantium).

About corporations, there are many African possibilities too. I see your point, but I say that we should include a mixture of both African and European ones. Some kind of portuguese trading company need to be in, and with the Boers also a Dutch one, but we also should include something like 'Waswahili League' (Swahili merchants), 'Merchants of Timbouktu' (Mali, the great trading empire) and maybe even 'Traders of the Caliph' (guess where I got this one from :p). This would also open possibilities for new UHVs. Per example, a Mali goal could be 'Found 3 corporations by XAD'.

Also like the Isolationist Idea though I believe there could be better ways to implement it. We could have a 'Foreign Relations' type of civic, you know. Per example, 'Isolationist' could be the one keeping everyone outside, 'Cultural Embrace' a complete embrace of European Culture (easier trade with Europe maybe?), then we have different other civics in this part too.

About Space Race victory. The Ethiopians built a huge Castle in the 17th century to reflect their power and independence from the Europeans. Maybe this could be an Idea? By builing an Imperial Palace you mark your position as a strong and Independent country who no-one will be able to conquer and colonize (the Ethiopians did after all whitstand the colonization).

6. Kubko

Kubko Chieftain

Made a new commit, arabia still likes to attack Antioch even when it is 0 in their war maps

7. christos200

Opinion on crusades. Create playble crusader kingdoms, but when they are NPC's have arabia to kick their ass.

8. veBear

There is already 23 civs in total, and since there are so little space for any Crusader kingdom and that they're not really a vital part of the civs who played a major role in Africa, they can be excluded. Also, the area they would represent is far too small. See map on page 1.

9. christos200

If we make it indepedents?

10. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

lol seriously, I think there's been more talk of Middle Eastern civs than actual African ones, and that's unfortunate in my view since there are many to choose from.

11. veBear

Exactly. That's why we got the Civ-List on page 1 as it is. Mongols had no real effect on Africa, neither did the Crusader Kingdoms. The Crusades would be best represented by a Barbarian Spawn outside of Jerusalem at a certain date. The only civ not to leave it's mark on Africa in that list is the Sassanids, and they're in mainly to give some more early civ choices and give Byzantium a competitor and the Arabs a challange (they Will have to Conquer them to compleate their UHV's).

12. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

I think Maravi and a couple of Great Lakes polities would help fill in the empty spots

13. srpt

srpt Deist

you could represent the slave trade with a building producing a resource like hollywood>hit movies but slave market>slaves and maybe make it a national wonder or normal building rather than a world wonder. you could use the SoI building civic requirement so you could only build it while running slavery.

and what about the sultanates of sennar and darfur?

and oman actually had their capital in zanzibar for a while, so maybe they should be included.

14. veBear

^We have chosen those nations who will fit best I believe. Maravi could be included, but this space will mostly be occupied by Swahili, which also goes for Zanzibar. Oman would be occupied by Arabians, and Sennar area by the Makurians. Sennar could be a name for the Makurians if they turn Islamic.

15. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

Don't you think the Portuguese should start much earlier at tangier?

16. spaceman98

spaceman98 Plotting something

17. veBear

Actually, we have about everything we need. The starting year of 500 AD are set due to the fact that little happened south of the Sahara between the start of Egypt and the end of the Roman Empire. Besides it would lead to quite a lot of the game being a complete roman hegemony in the game, so it would be boring to play in the early ages.

The civ list is actually maybe even too long. Kilwa Sultanate was a Swahili State, so they go in the Swahili civ. Adal is represented as the Somali civ, and both Mutapa and Rozwi are merged with the Zimbabwean civ. Please see civ list in first post for more details of which civs included.

18. christos200

We already have a byzantine civ. I would realy like to see a byzantine africa.

19. Kubko

Kubko Chieftain

I added a conqueror event to arabia for egypt(temporary until I figure out how to make them attack it with their starting units)
    i will have more time next weekend and soon after that christmas break, so updates should start coming more quickly

20. civ-addicted

civ-addicted Chieftain

Is it about cosmetics that you don't like them, are you worried about lower game speed or do you get error messages?
    If the first, easiest would be to replace all necessary TXT_KEYs with a single one (they should be in CvRhyes.cpp or in Assets/XML/Text)

EDIT: What's the end of the time frame?