RFC Classical World

a couple of more complicated ideas I'd like to add some time soon:

1. remote resources. I want civs to be able to access far away resources without building cities on them, like colonies in civ III. this would be mainly so that one of carthages UHVs could be getting amber and furs from n europe via the sea, but it would also enable putting spices on 1 tile islands and getting the copper from cyprus. it could work this way: put an invisible route on the map following all the coasts and use an improvement that generates 1 culture when built.

2. food trade routes like civ II. someone did it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333270. this would mean the romans could have a "make rome the biggest city" goal requiring them to import egypt's food.

3. the great synthesis: this the mod's religious victory, but instead of having different victories for different religions, there's just one and the more religions you have, the better. it will be based on the united nations and require something like syncretism, 3 shrines, 2 academies and 5 cathedrals. so to win you will have to build the great synthesis and then convince enough other civs that you have indeed brought the world's great faiths together.

well I'm at work with nothing to do and I can't work on the mod here so here are some more ideas for the future:

Sabean UHVs: all gold and needs to be finished by the axumite spawn ie 100AD. I'd like to give them a UP that doubles the return when they trade resources for gold. their UU can be a caravan that is cheaper or produces more gold when doing a mission.

Axumite UHVs: conquer Nubia and Saba, trade goals, finished before arab spawn. UP and UB same as Oman from SoI (bonus trade routes, improved lighthouse), fast ship UU.

Parthian UHVs: fast conquest from syria to central asia, kill a number of roman units, any other ideas? culture in ctesiphon? first to research the stirrup? would have to be finished by 225ad for the sassanid spawn.

the Pilgrim unit: a unit that can perform a pilgrimage mission in a holy city either a) generating a small amount of piety (probably 1 pt) or b) creating a missionary of that religion in the holy city which could then travel back to your civ and spread the religion. this would be a national unit, 1 allowed at a time. I'd like one of the Tocharian UHVs to be spreading buddhism to china and I don't want to leave them getting buddhism to chance or script it.

new civs: I'd like to add the tibetans and the gokturks. tibetans in 600AD with religious, cultural and territorial goals and gokturks in 550AD with land area and trade goals. I had wanted to include tibet but wasn't sure if I could spawn them early enough for it to be worth it but according to some maps anyway 600AD is fair and that gives them lots of time. I had been on the fence about the gokturks for a long time but having all that room up there makes me want to give them a try. as an AI civ they would facilitate trade across the silk road.

I will also add the byzantines as a separate civ. as a playable civ they would spawn at constantinople at a set date, killing the romans and flipping the eastern empire no matter who owns it. while this might make a weird change on the map if rome didn't control these areas before the byzantine spawn, from the players perspective it doesn't matter so much since you wouldn't know that. you could also make them only flip roman cities and not any others, but guarantee them thrace and greece. as an AI civ their spawn would depend on rome's stability, but would be inevitable eventually, no later than the frankish spawn. this is a scripted collapse but I think it is a necessary one because I realised the frankish civ doesn't make nearly as much sense if the western empire is intact and powerful when they spawn. if that were the case then their most appropriate UHVs would be to get open borders with the romans and then hire all your units out to them as mercenaries.

the Jin can be a non-playable respawn of the Han so that frees up one spot. 2 others will be added.

well I'm at work with nothing to do and I can't work on the mod here so here are some more ideas for the future:

Sabean UHVs: all gold and needs to be finished by the axumite spawn ie 100AD. I'd like to give them a UP that doubles the return when they trade resources for gold. their UU can be a caravan that is cheaper or produces more gold when doing a mission.

UU: Partly done. I already gave them a Caravan with more money income from trading mission. (I can make them cheaper, if necessary) They only need art and text. (But those don't have a big priority)

Axumite UHVs: conquer Nubia and Saba, trade goals, finished before arab spawn. UP and UB same as Oman from SoI (bonus trade routes, improved lighthouse), fast ship UU.

I think the Stele is more historical than a Port or something like that. It could provide a traderoute instead of extra culture to represent their trading.

Parthian UHVs: fast conquest from syria to central asia, kill a number of roman units, any other ideas? culture in ctesiphon? first to research the stirrup? would have to be finished by 225ad for the sassanid spawn.

the Pilgrim unit: a unit that can perform a pilgrimage mission in a holy city either a) generating a small amount of piety (probably 1 pt) or b) creating a missionary of that religion in the holy city which could then travel back to your civ and spread the religion. this would be a national unit, 1 allowed at a time. I'd like one of the Tocharian UHVs to be spreading buddhism to china and I don't want to leave them getting buddhism to chance or script it.

new civs: I'd like to add the tibetans and the gokturks. tibetans in 600AD with religious, cultural and territorial goals and gokturks in 550AD with land area and trade goals. I had wanted to include tibet but wasn't sure if I could spawn them early enough for it to be worth it but according to some maps anyway 600AD is fair and that gives them lots of time. I had been on the fence about the gokturks for a long time but having all that room up there makes me want to give them a try. as an AI civ they would facilitate trade across the silk road.

I will also add the byzantines as a separate civ. as a playable civ they would spawn at constantinople at a set date, killing the romans and flipping the eastern empire no matter who owns it. while this might make a weird change on the map if rome didn't control these areas before the byzantine spawn, from the players perspective it doesn't matter so much since you wouldn't know that. you could also make them only flip roman cities and not any others, but guarantee them thrace and greece. as an AI civ their spawn would depend on rome's stability, but would be inevitable eventually, no later than the frankish spawn. this is a scripted collapse but I think it is a necessary one because I realised the frankish civ doesn't make nearly as much sense if the western empire is intact and powerful when they spawn. if that were the case then their most appropriate UHVs would be to get open borders with the romans and then hire all your units out to them as mercenaries.

the Jin can be a non-playable respawn of the Han so that frees up one spot. 2 others will be added.

Good ideas. But maybe the scripted fall of the Roman Empire (Western) shouldn't be happening when the Human is the Roman Empire. (Or at least no completely collapse, and just leaving it with Italy and maybe some other areas)

well I'm home now and working on the Armenians. I moved the iron out of Artashat's BFC so they have to settle a city in Anatolia to get it. without the iron they cannot fight the seleucids for the territorial goal. I want the Khachkar to help them with the religious tech race via GP points or a priest slot. I like priest slot better since the player has to sacrifice growth, which is at a premium in Armenia. they now have a terrain-ignore horseman UU and spawn with 2 of them in place of the 2 swordsmen. I think the territorial goal should include Media and Judea even if its not quite historic since it means war with parthia and egypt which is more exiting. they will have to keep up in military tech so bulbing the religious techs will be essential. the khachkar will enable them to start this sooner. there is also the Temple of Artemis in independent Ephesus which gives religious GP points.

Media and Judea?
Were they part of the Armenian Empire?
That isn't historical,were they trying to conquer it?
The the Tang Dynasty has to conquer Greater Iran and the Roman Empire has to conquer Germany...

I think the territorial goal should include Media and Judea even if its not quite historic since it means war with parthia and egypt which is more exiting.

replaced the non-svn version with a fresh one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rfccw/

plus I'm happy to say that I've successfully coded 2 UHVs that are not simply SoI copies with the names changed. I think I might actually be learning a bit about this stuff.

@Jusos2108: I really want to make the 1st seleucid goal, reconquer alexander's empire before the parthian spawn in 180BC, one of the hard ones ie I want it to be hard for you, so I hope I can do that, and all advice is appreciated. as its coded now, it doesn't include farther central asia or the indus valley, so it can be expanded without being ahistoric, except of course that the whole UHV is ahistoric... well whatever it'll be fun anyway.

@Civciv5: I might go as far as asking the tang to control sogdiana but the romans have to start with 2 provinces and capture something like 17 just to get the historic empire so I'm not too inclined to add to that. I want the goals to be hard and seem significant. I think asking the small civs to rise above their historically weaker stature while letting those that were dominant just be themselves is fine.

I figured out that Funan is just missing its starting units in order to work. Not sure if their not supposed to be playable yet on purpose or not though. In addition to that, Ethiopia's ships spawn in the one tile lake next to them, making them useless.

the problem with the axumite ships is they get pushed to the lake by the sabean culture covering the red sea. I will figure out a way to get around this.

yeah you're right funan has no starting units. I'll add some.

What is Luguvalio,was that the capital of the Kushan Empire?
If I calculate the position of that city,then it's Begram.
Begram was the capital of the Kushan Empire.
Tibet is nothing more then a cold land,maybe you should convert all of Tibet to hill tiles,add some resources and convert the tiles from tundra or ice to plains.
I'm playing as the Kushans and I can't enter forests.
Researching technologies takes ages.
Every turn there spawn a ridicilous amount of barbarians.

What a lovely project! For some reason, the svn version crashes for me ("unexpected error", so I sadly cannot give any reason why), but I tried the non-svn version (at least for me, the link in the first post didn't work, but it was possible to navigate to the download on sourceforge).

I've played a game as Selucids so far, and it feels really historical. The Roman threat is scary. Good work!

I'm playing as the Kushans and I can't enter forests.
There are 3 types of forests: woodland, possible to all exc heavy cavalry and siege machines, forest possible to workers and javelins, and dense forest impossible 2 all.

Researching technologies takes ages.

IMHO, in this mod should not be inflation. What is inflation? This is when the amount of money increases, and the country's gold reserves is not changed. But in our case, the amount of gold reserves equal to the amount of money.

Every turn there spawn a ridicilous amount of barbarians.

I think barbarian pressure is normal. If u control a strong empire, not feet of clay, u can beat them. If your empire is weak, they will destroy your empire.

And small bug. Some priests, like zoroastrian or christian, reqs taoism. Check CIV4UnitInfos.xml :thumbsup:

thanks to all for the encouragement.

priests are fixed and I also went over the religious building xml cause it was all wrong. here are the building infos:
Spoiler :
Hellenic temple: 1 priest 1 scientist
Jewish temple: 1 priest 1 merchant
Zoroastrian temple: 1 priest 1 artist
Hindu temple: +2 extra culture
Buddhist monastery: +1 happy
Confucian monastery: -25% city maintenance
Taoist monastery: +10% gold
Jain monastery: +1 health
Christian monastery: +2 food
Manichean monastery: +20% espionage
Islamic monastery: +20% science
all other temples: 2 priests, +1 happy, +1 more happy if its a state religion temple

all subject to change, the main thing is I want something to differentiate the religions.

good point about inflation, I will think about that. tech in general should be very slow until you have some bigger cities.

as for the barbarians, they seem to vary quite a bit from game to game, just WB them out if they're going to kill you. both the Bactrians and the Kushans have a UU with bonus against horse archers.

A question: the Mauryans convert to Hinduism on the 2nd turn even though Buddhism is their favorite religion, they start with it as state religion and they have it all their cities plus they have the holy city. I don't mind if they convert later (they change their name to the Sunga empire when they do) but why are they doing it right away? Anyone know?

new non-svn version uploading now + I think I fixed the link.

What is Luguvalio,was that the capital of the Kushan Empire?
If I calculate the position of that city,then it's Begram.
Begram was the capital of the Kushan Empire.
Tibet is nothing more then a cold land,maybe you should convert all of Tibet to hill tiles,add some resources and convert the tiles from tundra or ice to plains.
What do you think?

A question: the Mauryans convert to Hinduism on the 2nd turn even though Buddhism is their favorite religion, they start with it as state religion and they have it all their cities plus they have the holy city. I don't mind if they convert later (they change their name to the Sunga empire when they do) but why are they doing it right away? Anyone know?

The AI seems to know about the religious spread rates. Since Buddhism's is 80, and Hinduism's is 100, it prefers Hinduism's better spread rate. Changing Buddhism's to 100 or 120 does the trick, at least for me.

Edit: Or not. It actually seems to only delay it for a turn. I've tried giving them starting missionaries, starting temples, and removing Hinduism from Patliputra, and that last one is the only one that seems to work. You'll probably just have to force them to stay in buddhism until a certain date, if that's possible.

I found the problem, fix on the way. Its in the DLL, CvPlayerAI.cpp. all civs had preferences but Buddhism and Zoroastrianism are liked by no one since they're minors in SoI.

re: Luguvalio. are you sure you spelled that right? I couldn't find it anywhere. The city-name map is pretty much place-holder right now and not exactly top of the priority list. You're welcome to take it on if you want.

re: Tibet. when I add the civ I'll improve the terrain. when I add them I want to be sure I'm adding everything I want to add in terms of # of civs, and I'm 100% sure yet.

Wikipedia says that Lugavalio/Luguvalium is Celtic city somewhere in Britain.

its in the Celts city list in Civilizations.xml, not the city-name map. its just there to avoid having cities called CITY_NAME_MISSING.

and the Mauryan state religion bug is fixed in the svn and all civs have state religion preferences that make sense.

Top Bottom