RFC Classical World

Yes, all Chinese civs in general have been more active. So much so, they've founded a few "City" cities in the region! In general, most civs tend to be more active. The Sabeans, most Chinese civs, the Romans, the Successors are all more active, which is good to see.

Now we need some feedback on current AI trends to rebalance the civs in light of this. One thing I've noticed: Armenia is always conquered or collapsed. I'm guessing it's the Armenians improperly defending their cities to barbs.

Argh....I like how the Chalukya spawned with just "City"

Also the Sassanid and Saka colors look to be the same.

Other strange things, is that Egypt I see controlling Derbant? And in Greece/Bulgaria?

I also think its interesting how Chaulkya, Sunga and Kalinga are all once city civ's clustered in Eastern India. It looks like there's a Chinese city at the tip of SEA?

It seems I wasn't given a choice as the Qin when the Han spawned as to whether or not I would allow it to flip; it did automatically, with me automatically declaring war. Is this intentional?

Also, the starting Han name is "TXT_KEY_CIV_HAN_EMPIRE_DESC"

Edit: It fixed itself to Han Empire the next turn.

they should be fixed now.

just had a really fun game as the Antigonids. put all cities on wealth and tech to zero and hired many Greek Heavy Spearmen. waited for Seleucid stack, sucessfully defended Tyre and took Damascus. then gave Seleucus a Sailing and Astronomy for peace and shipped the mercs to Egypt. they were a pushover but getting Monarchy before Armenian spawn now seemed unlikely. would have just got it with a golden age from a great prophet from the Temple of Artemis but noticed in 218BC that Carthage had it already.

Carthage can research Monarchy when they spawn. its not surprising they got it although they should go for Naval Warfare first.

the Seleucids and Ptolemys also seem decently balanced. I got Egypt's 2 wonders in 180BC so I will move the goal there. great generals will be sped up to make the Seleucid and Kalinkan goals more reasonable

also forgot to mention I increased all units movement by 1 and reduced road movement to double rather that triple.

I played Qin again, and got the 2 UHV's for 215bc :king: despite only getting 2 slaves in the first 70 rounds (well, I got 4, but didn't manage to bring two of them back in my capital in time.)

Spoiler :
Qin UHV.jpg

Stil haven't played any further, but NOW it is possible unless you are really unlucky, I guess.

As a side note, Carthage seems to be doing pretty well now, building cities all over the Western Mediterranean.

I'm seeing a lot more cities being settled by all civs. It's nice to see. I do see the occasional "junk city" but they're mostly well placed.

the Seleucids and Ptolemys also seem decently balanced.

Agreed here. Pre-150 BC balance is pretty solid. Roman stability issues and the Gallic, Pontic and Dacian expansion in the wake of a weak Rome lead to wackiness by 1 AD. Things completely jump the rails by 100 AD due to Rome's failure and later civs failures to wipe out older civs, like the Kushans. Also Indian civs somehow end up conquering all the way to Ancyra!

As for early game aspects left to fix before getting to fixing those issues:
Antigonids probably still need some work. Their enemies have a very hard time dislodging them from Tarsus. They also could still use a push westwards, to form Macedonia (with Athens).
Maybe more of a mid-game issue, but the Romans have no luck against any AI civs, except maybe Carthage.
Numidians are too strong for Carthage at the moment, completely wiping them out (they should only be that strong in relation to Carthage after being weakened by Rome).
Parthians are still generally pretty underwhelming. It has less to do with the Parhians themselves, and probably more to do with the strength of the Seleucids and their phalangite cavalry-killers.

On a more positive note, the barbarian pressure in every region seems to be just right (at least in the early to mid game, which is as far as is "balanced"), so good job on that one. Map size probably helped. Perhaps a little strong in the Caucasus for the Armenian AI to handle, but that's about it. Most other civs' loss of cities to barbarians seems pretty fair.

Edit: Plains tiles are only providing one food instead of one food, one hammer. Is this intended?

Also, balance seems to be doing a lot better since the latest update!

15 AD:
Spoiler :

We see that Numidia is still a little strong and that Romans are doing better, but are still a bit lacking. Parthians doing a good job, and the balance of the area in Pakistan/Afghanistan etc seems pretty good (i.e. barbs/Sakas doing a good clean-up of the area but not coming off too strong). Ptolemids doing well enough despite a few (reasonable) struggles, like the loss of Alexandria is this case. Seleucids pushed back to Syria very well. Antigonids doing well, but only because Romans don't bother them. Armenia is also doing a fair job.

The Seleucid balancing might also be tweaked with a little bit more revolts past the 200 BC date. This would help Parthia without an overpowering buff, and would also challenge the player a bit more. I find that as the Seleucids, aside from the GG goal (which was hard due to the GG rate), after the empire is acquired, the game goes into easy mode and I can completely crush all opposition with a large army of hoplites/catapults. Keeping an empire should definitely be military-focused and require tying down troops in Seleucid for suppressive purposes. The Romans will also come into play once they get fixed though, so that should probably be fixed before touching Seleucid balance again.

Another Axum spawn (15 AD):
Spoiler :

Numidia still too strong. Romans doing much better. Egypt doing poorly (a bit too poorly, probably). Parthian-Seleucid dynamic is once more pretty good (again, the issue is lack of Roman pressure). Pontus and Armenia playing smart. Sakas and barbs again doing a good job.

I'm guessing the projected increased GG rate going to help the Romans a good deal, what with the free stacks it gets.

Loaded up some Byzantine games for fun...
1) Satavahanas actually founded Islam!
2) Roman stability is a major issue. They gradually collapse into nothingness (maybe because there are no Roman Rebels)...most of the time, the West is mainly the Gauls with most of Western Rome's territory, Numidia with Africa, the Sassanids with the Levant, Anatolia, Thrace etc (which is totally fine: without the presence of Rome, that probably would have happened!), and sometimes an unusually strong Judean Empire.
3) Especially in India and China, we get huge 10-20 population cities that are mega-productive/rich...(hence the founding of Islam)
4) New civs spawning in the Indian or Chinese regions seem to be overwhelmed by the older civs they're supposed to replace!

Yeah, in most of my games the Romans usually conquer a bunch of stuff then collapse to core, after which they basically turtle in Italy, having lost much of their army. They seriously need a stability boost.

I think with the extra movement for all units, units also should have an extended visibility range. Perhaps this should be limited to workers, but with a 4 tile range those Horse Archers can come from virtually anywhere.

Yeah, in most of my games the Romans usually conquer a bunch of stuff then collapse to core, after which they basically turtle in Italy, having lost much of their army. They seriously need a stability boost.

Rome is never, EVER even alive or out of Italy in all games past 150 to 200 AD. Usually Gaul sucks up the cities and becomes huge.

Rome will be taken care of. they are next on the list.

in the meantime I have finally managed to make religious units work the way I want them to.

the Teacher units are out

Missionaries can be built if you have any one of these 3 things:

the appropriate religion resource (produced by the appropriate shrine or academy and tradeable)

an appropriate monastery

the appropriate state religion

plus the appropriate religion must be present in the city

pilgrims are still in and work as before

that may not seem like much but it took me all day lol

and I really need a better unit for the Hellenic Missionary. you'd think it would be easy to find a generic Socrates looking dude but I haven't found one

next priority is balancing the western mediterranean. promise.

and I really need a better unit for the Hellenic Missionary. you'd think it would be easy to find a generic Socrates looking dude but I haven't found one

Socrates, Aristotle, every Greek philosopher's model will do. Perhaps the painting "The school of Athens" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_School_of_Athens will help to design the model

also, are you sure the new stability system is OK now? I think that there are many negative effects and so few positive, that staying stable is almost impossible. In a single turn 3 civs declared war on me and I collapsed to my core. And the weird is that after collapsing, I am still unstable...very frustrating

I just cant stay stable though I have healthy cities, I am building wonders and I pop Great People. What am I doing wrong?

I think that you should include more positive effects to at least counter the negative ones. Perhaps including a new civic column 'expansion' as in vanilla RFC..

Top Bottom