RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Historically, Portugal was a traditional ally (although not a vassal, of course) of England against Spain.

Anyway I'm still having problem with AI settling islands. Maybe I just didn't play long enough but the only island that got settled was Sardinia by the Genoans. Was this supposed to be fixed in the newer update or did I do something wrong?

When I said fixed, I meant that it used to be so that the AI would never settle an island and not it does. I did not promise that the AI would be competent :D

Numbers are: Permanent (very hard to change), current (easy to change right on the spot) and sometimes you get a third number that gives things like temporary instability from changing civics.

Every time you found a city, you get permanent positive expansion. If you expand beyond your historic borders, you get negative temporary expansion.

I don't know what gives permanent economical bonus, in RFCE most of it is temporary and it depends on the production tiles that you have chosen in the cities as well as the city size of buildings constructed in the cities.

I think that it'll be really helpful to have all the values out in the open once I figure them out, so thanks for the display. Although the up/down arrows would be good too...

Generally speaking, would the old guide to RFC stability still apply, at least in principle, if not value, to RFCE?

Been playing for a while, and finding that Poland is hard! :D Also, plague + war with Germany + Berlin declaring independence from me = bad times.

EDIT: Granted, I did try to go with an Orthodox Christian Poland. I've gotten the Norse and Austrians to go Orthodox as well, but Hungary is staying stuboornly Catholic.

I would have to agree with Poland being not worth the bother. Didn't even get Catholicism until 1065 and so far behind in technology that its not even funny.
On top of that Germany declares almost immediately no matter where you build on the border and Hungary is as always feeling frisky against its neighbours.

Venice is dead easy though. Not as bad as before but still a pretty fast builder game. AI dominates the coast very consistently so good job on that.
England! Turned into fishermen the lot of them, some attractive coastal plots available now which is glorious. Makes the inevitable assault on France actually doable even if they haven't collapsed.
Vikings AI actually climb to become tech leaders in the late game, at least until Sweden comes and knocks them about. They even settle south and east in the Baltics. Quite the little bad asses now.
Spain really doesn't like heathens any more :D With All Saints in Bordeaux Protestantism spread to Santander every 3 turns and was prompty and ruthlessly stamped out on the following turn ..

What changed with respawns? Had a game where Arabia died and respawned within 3-4 turns a total of 4-5 times and a French respawn due to Burgundy instability left Lyon, Paris and Bordeaux in English hands (mine).

Edit: Just give all the Crusades to Genoa, he buys them all anyway so save the coding :)

England really needs to settle north wales more often. Usually it doesn't and misses out on three very useful resources. Cambridge is a good city location to cover all of them.

My Pope isn't working :(

No crusades/gifts/buildings

Anyone else having this or is mine broke?

Send a savegame.

If Arabia is Orthodox or the Byzantines hold Jerusalem, there will be no Crusades. If your faith points are low and/or your relations with the Pope are bad, you will not receive gifts. Also, have you opened borders.

I'm wondering: wouldn't the Byzantines be more fun if their UP was expanded to include the entire map? In most games, it will hardly matter as Arabia eats all their cities out of their central area, but it will at least allow them to expand a little (as in, rebuild the Roman Empire) if they should somehow manage to remain powerful.

AI byzantines should be doomed in the long run. It was like that, after all.

BTW I've seen Dutch starts at 1580 with a Byzantine empire covering ALL its warmap.

If the AI can, why can't you? :rolleyes:

They would still be doomed in the long run. As soon as they lose Constantinople it's over. But it's very annoying to be basically confined to your UP area.

Send a savegame.

If Arabia is Orthodox or the Byzantines hold Jerusalem, there will be no Crusades. If your faith points are low and/or your relations with the Pope are bad, you will not receive gifts. Also, have you opened borders.

Had open borders since I first got Catholicism, Arabs are their normal selves (Islam, have Jerusalem), have freidnly relations with Pope and 40+ FP.

Attachments

• RaFE.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 82
played as England (started new game after I upgraded to ALFHA 11), easy game but in 1455 I noticed that I didn't complete my first victory goal: control britisch iles and parts of france. I currently own Paris, Calais, Cean, Nantes and Brest (also 2 cities in scotland, 3 in Ireland and 4 in england and both France and Burgundy are my vassals)

Did I miss something or is it an error in ALFHA 11?

btw: I did edited in worldbuilder becouse the barbs razed York, could this effect something?

Spoiler :

England1.jpg

England2.jpg

played as England (started new game after I upgraded to ALFHA 11), easy game but in 1455 I noticed that I didn't complete my first victory goal: control britisch iles and parts of france. I currently own Paris, Calais, Cean, Nantes and Brest (also 2 cities in scotland, 3 in Ireland and 4 in england and both France and Burgundy are my vassals)

Did I miss something or is it an error in ALFHA 11?

btw: I did edited in worldbuilder becouse the barbs razed York, could this effect something?

You needed Bordeaux The maps for UHV conditions are in the file 'Reference'

Basically need all northern+western coast of France + Paris

If by "historically" you mean from 1640 to 1808, then you are right.

RFCE covers far more years than that, though.

According to Wikipedia, the Alliance has existed since June 1373, which is a pretty large amount of the game. However, I do agree that this treaty is certainly not equal to system of master and vassal.

I have some questions which may be suggestions - don't know - but figure this would be the best place. I've played quite a few turns of my first RFCE game as England. There's a few things I don't get about the mod and England, as follows:

1) Pardon if I must missed this, but is there a civic similar to the Slavery civic? I had to slow build everything. Yeah, I used OR but that doesn't help everything.
2) France is very advanced compared to me. I seemed on par with most other civs and made some nice tech trades, but France has Gunpowder and Teutonic Knights and I'm still trying to get missionaries and forges built.
3) Speaking of which, what's the deal with English Longbows. Not only are they not available from the start, which they should be, but they are actually first available with a tech on par with Gunpowder. Sorry, I don't get that at all. Basically, a useless UU once available.
4)I'm sure there's things a I could do better, but the slow build was brutal. Either we need more infra or established cities from the start, or something equivalent to the whip to get out infra and settlers more quick. I wasn't able to really enjoy the "era" that attracted me to this mod.
5) Don't give a flip about gunpowder. Seems available too soon. Maybe part of the overall pacing problem with the mod.
6) Cherbourg and Calais seem brutally useless for a very long time. I guess the idea is to somehow get a bunch of units out and conquer France asap but even that's hard with drafted spearmen.

anyway, this is definitely the type of mod I'm interested in.

1- Slavery was intentionally left out to give more options when it comes to balancing food/commerce and to slow things down (at least that what I remember reading).
2- England starts at a huge deficit compared to France. A lot of civs start in a similar position as far as I can tell. More often than not the loss of cities on your spawn makes him unstable and if he is warring Germany or Burgundy he may well collapse soon'ish.
3- Longbows in RFC:E will demolish anything up until Flintlock (Musketmen). The early gunpowder units are novelty items, just like they were in the real world. English longbows with their Formation and Drill promotions make mincemeat of any knight, the perfect counter to the horse happy continental powers :)
Add XP from a barracks + archery range and you can start with 3 levels of Drill making it the most powerful unit for a long time. My only beef with them is that they are very short-lived as you can get Flintlock very quickly after they come around, but hold off a bit and stockpile the longbows so they can be upgraded to muskets and you can't go wrong.
4+5- I felt the same way trying England in last alpha, but with the sea food now you can get rapid expansion. Make your way to guilds as fast as possible to tap into the UP .. all grasslands becomes gets 4 hammers with Apprenticeship, you will be laughing at all the silly mines you so meticulously nurtured :)
For the critical techs assign loads of scientists and convert those lovely hammers into beakers building research.
6- They are rather worthless until France collapses and they get their BFCs (and workshops!). Luckily the silly bugger doesn't know to garrison Paris properly so there is usually just a few crossbows/arbalests there. 4-5 Armoured Lancers and a suicide Trebuchet is normally enough for me, add a few crossbows for defense against retaliation and France is a foot-note.

According to Wikipedia, the Alliance has existed since June 1373, which is a pretty large amount of the game. However, I do agree that this treaty is certainly not equal to system of master and vassal.

I thought we were not talking about alliance, but alliance against Spain, which wasn't a strong power until the 1500s. And by then very friendly with Portugal (it was even "vassalized").

Why is it possible to capture Roma? I have just done it. The pope had 'collapsed' and being a interdependent state it was possible to declare Roma war. Should that actually be possible?

Top Bottom