RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Playin Beta 9 and have found an error that was corrected but overcorrected. The Pope now calls way more defensive crusades than crusades for Jerusalem. Im in 1289 and there have been no crusades for the holy land, it is currently controlled by arabs.

I just played Beta 10 and let me say that on spawning as the Turks, the map looked BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D GREAT JOB GUYS!!
My ONLY complaint about the balance of power is that the Venetians were stuck with only two cities, the Bulgarians were WAYYY OP. I'm fine with them surviving until the late game but they should not control the entire Adriatic coast, suffocating the nominally more powerful Venetians.

Also what happened to moving the Turkish spawn to Adrianople instead of Bursa? And please remove the two Turkish settlers, they REALLY don't need it, and I think it just leads the AI Turks to placing bad cities that are frankly not needed at all.

I'm happy Islam spread to many Byzantine cities, but frankly, there should be a barbarian presence in the center of Anatolia, as Muslims didn't just walk into Byzantine cities like that. I would strongly encourage you to find a way to fix that.

Oh and the English need to be stronger in France (GET RID OF AN ENGLISH CALAIS!! Please replace it with Rouen)
And the Arabs were a tad OP in 1358, they perhaps should have more Barb pressure from the Mongols and Timurds as well entering into Syria, and then have them respawn as a weaker version in Egypt.
Also I saw a Muslim Lithuania :crazyeye: How is the Livonian crusade going to be represented? It would be cool if you could see spawning Ritturbuter Knights who convert the Lithuanians to Christianity.

Thats all for now, I'll post more comments later as needed ;)
But really, great job guys, RFC Europe looks like its back on track :goodjob:

I just played Beta 10 and let me say that on spawning as the Turks, the map looked BEAUTIFUL!!!! :D GREAT JOB GUYS!!

Are you sure? Beta 10 isn't released yet. I think you meant beta 9. :yup:

Are you sure? Beta 10 isn't released yet. I think you meant beta 9. :yup:

I'm talking about the latest SVN, which is currently working on Beta 10 :p

Also you might want to remove the current Isabella and instead add this LH:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16660

Also I was revisiting some of Bakuel's units, and it seems that you could use the Russian units he made, plus incorporate the new Orthodox Missionary unit which looks great. You could really have more diverse units, because currently diverse units in this game are sort of lacking

What's wrong with Calais?

And what are Ritturbuter Knights?

What's wrong with Calais?
Everything is wrong with Calais Leoreth! :)
For starters the English (the Normans more like it) did not control the city in 1066. Calais was an independent city, part of Flanders, which was famous for its sheep and wool, which it would sell to the English for hundreds of years. When the 100 Years War came along, the people of Calais sided with the French Dauphin, but their wool business was ruined. Anyway thats side tracking a bit...
Anyway, so if we keep Calais as a strong independent city with sheep near by, I believe that would be the best.
So instead of the English getting that city (and I have no clue who suggested it in the first place), they should receive a city called Rouen in Normandy and on the tip of France Rennes, another city at the tip of Normandy.

And what are Ritturbuter Knights?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_Crusade
They were German knights used in the Livonian crusade, I believe thats a misspelling though.... :blush:

Beta 9 Netherlands report here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10299702&postcount=121

As for gameplay itself, the path to victory happened to be trivial in this game, as I acquired a 13-population Antwerpen on the flip. With the pro-GPP religious civic and the low Dutch GP threshold, this city generated the first three Great Merchants in fewer than 15 turns. I had all five Great Merchants settled long before the 10 Open Borders UHV goal deadline.

Two cosmetic notes:
1. Hungary needs a different colour to disambiguate it from the big dark orange Turkish landmass on the minimap. Is there a shade of green that is not being used?
2. Pure judgement call here, but I'd name the Netherlands province "Holland". Neither is a perfect description of the region we're talking about. Netherlands should include Flanders, but Holland should exclude the eastern provinces of the Netherlands IRL. It doesn't really matter. I just think it's neater to not have a civ and province with the same name.

2. Pure judgement call here, but I'd name the Netherlands province "Holland". Neither is a perfect description of the region we're talking about. Netherlands should include Flanders, but Holland should exclude the eastern provinces of the Netherlands IRL. It doesn't really matter. I just think it's neater to not have a civ and province with the same name.

If neccessary, the eastern part could be called Gelre. But I agree on Holland.

Playin Beta 9 and have found an error that was corrected but overcorrected. The Pope now calls way more defensive crusades than crusades for Jerusalem. Im in 1289 and there have been no crusades for the holy land, it is currently controlled by arabs.

Yeah I noticed this too. The turn after I declared war on Poland as Lithuania, they got a defensive crusade - ugh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_Crusade
They were German knights used in the Livonian crusade, I believe thats a misspelling though.... :blush:

Using the generic Teutonic Knights would be simple enough. Also, I think that the objective for Poland/Lithuania should be to have a defensive alliance and withstand the Teutonic invasion (Tannenberg/Grunwald 1410AD). It was, after all, the greatest medieval clash of arms. That would be much more historical and it would be great for a German vs Lithuania/Poland war.

Also the Lithuanians employed tatar cavalry at Tannenberg, maybe spawn them with 2-4 keshiks?

Is there something wrong with the Reformation? Only the civ who founds Protestentism goes with it...

hmm..... I usually don't play till that late in the game, but in "a perfect world"/"perfect game", civilizations which historically converted to Lutheranism have a greater chance of going ahead with it, like Germany, the Dutch (well thats automatic now), English and the Nordic countries (Norway and Sweden), while you should hardly EVER see a Huguenot controlled France (actually that would be cool to see) or a Protestant Spain or Austria.

And yes Hockeysam, I was talking about the Teutonic Knights, I don't know how I forgot their name :crazyeye:
But I'm sure there is already some sort of unit graphic for them, so adding them should be easy and really cool at the same time :)

Also I continue to urge the makers of this mod, to add more unique units to RFC Europe, as unlike the Middle East or East Asia finding unique units is/was relatively hard, while for Europe, there must be a huge cache of cool unique European unit graphics.

Something that disturbs me about the templar orders are that they never are used for what they were meant for, conquer Jerusalem. They are just used for intra catholic fighting. Maybe the concept should be revised?

Something that disturbs me about the templar orders are that they never are used for what they were meant for, conquer Jerusalem. They are just used for intra catholic fighting. Maybe the concept should be revised?

Could not agree more with you Ezzlar, in fact the entire crusade mechanic should be revised IMO. But for now, I sincerely believe that their might be other bigger issues to be solved.

hmm..... I usually don't play till that late in the game, but in "a perfect world"/"perfect game", civilizations which historically converted to Lutheranism have a greater chance of going ahead with it, like Germany, the Dutch (well thats automatic now), English and the Nordic countries (Norway and Sweden), while you should hardly EVER see a Huguenot controlled France (actually that would be cool to see) or a Protestant Spain or Austria. [...]

Well I just founded Protestantism as Austria, and No one, repeat, NO ONE converted to Protestantism after ten turns(after a while I just converted for S&G)

Huguenot France wasn't THAT unlikely.

Top Bottom