RFC Mesoamerica and Andes

What about adding the Great Pyramid of Cholula,Coricancha and the Pyramid of the Sun as Great Wonders?

I plan to add the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of Cholula as wonders. I've realized that adding wonders is sort of tricky. I can't just add archeological sites, because they're the cities themselves in many cases. My approach has been to look for something distinctive about a site, like feats of engineering or buildings with unique religious or scientific purposes.

@General Olaf: If you'd like to get started now, I need civilopedia entries and text keys. When I'm not swamped with schoolwork, I'll upload what I have (I'll PM you the link ;)) and you could do the buildings XML if you like.

Flags I have so far. This is how they will sort of look like in the game, once you distort them if course. (The actual files have to be 128x128, but the game compresses them to roughly 96x128)

Chimu. Let's just say I got lazy and stole borrowed Chimu's flag from EU3.

Tiwanaku, this is based on the traditional flag of the Ayamara people, who are descendents of the original inhabitants of Tiwanaku and still live in the region around it.

Haiti. it is the current flag of Haiti, but IMO it looks a lot better than the flag of the time period.

Tell me what y'all think!

(hangman, once I have all the flags, ready and in proper format, I will post them here as a zip file. I have only finished these 3)

@the flags: For the Zaps, you could do the same thing as with the Chimu (get the EU3 flag)

Done adding leaderheads and civs for now. I'm going to hold off on adding the post-colonial civs for a while, and there's a few other native I'd like to add eventually, but I think they'll be too much of a pain to add at the moment. I'm going to start working on adding units.

Sorry I haven't done anything yet. I'm busy relaxing today (it's my birthday :bday:) but due to holidays, I can probably do some tomorrow.

hi Hangman, sorry it took so long to reply

I will have to wait to see what I'm going to do with my mod, but I think I can release the art to you, closer to when your mod is ready

For now, you are welcome to take any of my map graphics, which will be released shortly, and if you are interested I can get you proper flags for most of the civs

A couple of historical points:

-your mod has extremely diverse civs, some which were true empires and some which didn't produce towns let alone cities (chiefdoms). You should either eliminate these chiefdoms/tribes, or find a way to properly integrate them.
-I find it interesting that you put in Rapa Nui (a strange chiefdom and bizarre choice) under the pretext that it was in contact with South America, and on the flip side, want to prevent contact between north and south america. I could be mistaken but natives, around 10 thousand years ago, came in from Alaska, and any migrations from Polynesia would have taken place then (in prehistory), if they even happened. There has been no contact between Polynesia and South America- I'm sure you know that is not where they got their culture from. Conversely, almost everyone is in agreeance that Mesoamerica and Andes have been in contact with eachother. In particular, the artefacts and metalwork belonging to the Tarascan (Tzintzuntzan) empire is strongly influenced by South America, and maybe they didn't go visit eachother, but they certainly engaged in long-distance trade.
-you are mixing languages. If you are going to call civs "Carib", "Aztec", etc., you should call "Irechecua Tzintzuntzani" Tarascan. It does not fit your naming convention.

hope this helped somewhat
Kevin

For now, you are welcome to take any of my map graphics, which will be released shortly, and if you are interested I can get you proper flags for most of the civs

Awesome, let me know when it's out. If you want to have a look at what I have so far, I'll post what I have, but it's still very much a work in progress. Also, I've recruited hrochland to make a bunch of new buildings, so you might want to check out his latest work.

-your mod has extremely diverse civs, some which were true empires and some which didn't produce towns let alone cities (chiefdoms). You should either eliminate these chiefdoms/tribes, or find a way to properly integrate them.

I made sure that all of them are tied to at least one archeological site, which can be ceremonial or urban. A few of them are on the cutting edge of archeology (Kuhikugu for Xingu, Caral-Supe sites), but they all have cultural relavence. If there's anything specific you're dubious about, I'd like to know.

-I find it interesting that you put in Rapa Nui (a strange chiefdom and bizarre choice) under the pretext that it was in contact with South America, and on the flip side, want to prevent contact between north and south america. I could be mistaken but natives, around 10 thousand years ago, came in from Alaska, and any migrations from Polynesia would have taken place then (in prehistory), if they even happened. There has been no contact between Polynesia and South America- I'm sure you know that is not where they got their culture from. Conversely, almost everyone is in agreeance that Mesoamerica and Andes have been in contact with eachother. In particular, the artefacts and metalwork belonging to the Tarascan (Tzintzuntzan) empire is strongly influenced by South America, and maybe they didn't go visit eachother, but they certainly engaged in long-distance trade.

I think you may have misunderstood about North-South contact; my plan is to block access, but script it so it opens up after a certain time period, around 1000 AD or so :)

About Rapa Nui: I wasn't making any assertions about the migration patterns lol. That's mostly beyond the scope of the mod anyway. There is evidence though that there had been at least a small amount of contact between Polynesia and South America, namely, the spread of the sweet potato. There are a couple of more dubious pieces of evidence, but they aren't that important.

-you are mixing languages. If you are going to call civs "Carib", "Aztec", etc., you should call "Irechecua Tzintzuntzani" Tarascan. It does not fit your naming convention.

That is correct. It's a leftover of my original planning sheet; the names have mostly been straightened out, but I'll double check that all the names are accurate before release.

There is evidence though that there had been at least a small amount of contact between Polynesia and South America, namely, the spread of the sweet potato.

Cool, didn't know that. When did it occur?

About the chiefdoms, well the fact that there is an archaeological site means little, and I'm sure we will find more archaeological sites for other chiefdoms. I wish there was a better way of representing chiefdoms, but I guess we are stuck for now...

Are you planning on including Mixtec (Tututepec) empire?

You can find peanuts in my mapmod but you would have to edit your L system file since it is based on tobacco

For whoever is working on flags, attached are the flags from my mod. A couple are made up (on my end). I wouldn't be surprised if none of them had flags. Any you wish to use would need to be adjusted to whatever format (128x128?) you use as right now they are in the horizontal flag format

I've been watching this since I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. Good luck!
Kevin

Cool, didn't know that. When did it occur?

Probably around 700AD. Have a look at wikipedia.

About the chiefdoms, well the fact that there is an archaeological site means little, and I'm sure we will find more archaeological sites for other chiefdoms. I wish there was a better way of representing chiefdoms, but I guess we are stuck for now...
Are you planning on including Mixtec (Tututepec) empire?

Eventually. For the first release, they will be a respawn of the Zapotec, but I'd like to include them seperately.

You can find peanuts in my mapmod but you would have to edit your L system file since it is based on tobacco

That shouldn't be a problem.

For whoever is working on flags, attached are the flags from my mod. A couple are made up (on my end). I wouldn't be surprised if none of them had flags. Any you wish to use would need to be adjusted to whatever format (128x128?) you use as right now they are in the horizontal flag format

Awesome, I'll have a look.

I've been watching this since I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. Good luck!
Kevin

Thanks!

Hangman,do you still know you requested some leaderheads?
Well I partially failed.
I can't find a good base for those leaders.
I can't find good accessories,most of the Mesoamerican accessoires are being used already.
I totally failed to make a Maya LH.
I tried to make one of those P'urhepecha leaders,but it's not my best work.
Spoiler :

Do still need any leaders?
I would like to help with this mod,since my mod is doomed and lacking aid.
I suddenly got an idea of the Maya leader,there is still hope...
I hope I didn't disappoint you.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 550
That's actually pretty good, I'm not disappointed at all :) Do you think you could change the color of the "shirt" to be more like the pics I posted?

Btw, in case you didn't know, you can import art from any game that uses the Gamebryo engine. I'm not sure if there's anything out there that you may be able to use, but it might be worth looking outside the Civ4 forums.

But in any case, it's just good to have more LH's that aren't Montezuma clones lol

What color?Red?

Any game?
I don't have other games that use that engine.
Or do I have to download it?
What are "Montezuma Clones"?
Oh and I tried making some mayan LH.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 508
What color?Red?

I was thinking of doing alternating stripes; with one set just red, and the others black and white, like the bandana thing it already has.

Any game?

Yeah, any that use gamebryo.

What are "Montezuma Clones"?

I was referring to the massive amount of native american LH's based on Montezuma. It was a joke :)

Oh and I tried making some mayan LH.
Spoiler :

I like it. It could do without the purple eyeshadow though.

OK which one do you prefer?
This
Spoiler :

Or this
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 551
The tattooed one looks better IMO.

hangman: Sorry for slacking on that XML work. If you still need anything done I can make some time to do that :)

Top Bottom