Rhye's Catapult

I noticed in my recent game that there is an iron square south of Delhi that is useless as it is a jungle square. Can we remove the jungle from the square? I was wondering why India had been attacking me with archers (they were never able to use the iron).

I think one of the reasons why there are so many settlers sitting on desert islands is that the AI doesn't seem to be able to understand that it cannot settle jungle squares.

Again and again I get the tragic feeling that AI will always be the final limiting factor for modding, as a normal mod is useless without AI comprehension, and AI comprehension is not easy to achieve. Is the AI moddable in cIV?

Rhye, I´m not sure what I did wrong, but whenever I start a game, a "You have been defeated!" message appears, and I´m sent back to the main menu after the "The end of history" message... I downloaded the mod, and have no previous versions installed, and extracted it in the MODS directory of My Documents Civ 4 folder. I guess I did something wrong, but don´t know what... THX!

Rhye said:
I think this could have something to do with impassable jungle. Should settlers be excorted by explorers?

It is possible to do it such that they have a chance to die of disease each turn like ancient ships have a chance of sinking in the ocean?

The AI does not check for passability of the terrain when it decides where to send settlers - it assumes it can go anywhere by default.

Also, currently all units can enter impassable terrain without roads/RR as long as the impassable terrain is inside friendly territory, but building road over impassable terrain that is outside borders does not allow units to pass it. This doesn't apply for the Peak/Icy Sea type of impassable terrain, but for terrain marked as impassable for individual units.

I discovered this around christmas when I made desert, jungle and ice impassable to (among other) Settlers, but cities could still be founded on jungle and desert. After a few games with no problem I noticed a tiny desert island slowly being filled with AI military units. The AI was sending ship after ship with defenders and settlers and unloading the defender but returning with the Settlers as they couldn't enter Desert. :rolleyes:

I can well imagine that the problem with settlers you are currently facing is of a similar nature - the AI has seen a spot it want to settle somewhere on the map, but fails to check if the settler unit can actualy reach the spot along the route it has chosen to go by.

Imho the whole impassable terrain mechanisms of CIV could do with a bit of reengineering. ;)

I haven't looked at the past 100 or so posts (y'all post so frequently, I needed a break). I finally was able to program a 2nd start for Persia. I ended up passing iGameTurn to setBirthType. I balanced it fairly well and was about to add 2nd starts for other civs like Egypt, Greece, China, and India when I realized I had been working on version .38! It looks like I'll be doing some more work with the newest download. At least now I know what I'm doing.

Crayton said:
I haven't looked at the past 100 or so posts (y'all post so frequently, I needed a break). I finally was able to program a 2nd start for Persia. I ended up passing iGameTurn to setBirthType. I balanced it fairly well and was about to add 2nd starts for other civs like Egypt, Greece, China, and India when I realized I had been working on version .38! It looks like I'll be doing some more work with the newest download. At least now I know what I'm doing.

I would wait for a 1.00 build... :)

CyberChrist said:
The AI does not check for passability of the terrain when it decides where to send settlers - it assumes it can go anywhere by default.

Also, currently all units can enter impassable terrain without roads/RR as long as the impassable terrain is inside friendly territory, but building road over impassable terrain that is outside borders does not allow units to pass it. This doesn't apply for the Peak/Icy Sea type of impassable terrain, but for terrain marked as impassable for individual units.

I discovered this around christmas when I made desert, jungle and ice impassable to (among other) Settlers, but cities could still be founded on jungle and desert. After a few games with no problem I noticed a tiny desert island slowly being filled with AI military units. The AI was sending ship after ship with defenders and settlers and unloading the defender but returning with the Settlers as they couldn't enter Desert. :rolleyes:

I can well imagine that the problem with settlers you are currently facing is of a similar nature - the AI has seen a spot it want to settle somewhere on the map, but fails to check if the settler unit can actualy reach the spot along the route it has chosen to go by.

Imho the whole impassable terrain mechanisms of CIV could do with a bit of reengineering. ;)

yes, you are right. Unfortunately that engineering work is really complex.
So I've just made passages through jungle

Crayton said:

lol! 0.38? That was really full of bugs.
You did a nice work, indeed, but I'm not including this idea in the mod, because I want to keep the number of players as low as possible in the modern ages

Rhye, I´m not sure what I did wrong, but whenever I start a game, a "You have been defeated!" message appears, and I´m sent back to the main menu after the "The end of history" message... I downloaded the mod, and have no previous versions installed, and extracted it in the MODS directory of My Documents Civ 4 folder. I guess I did something wrong, but don´t know what... THX!

Anyone? I know this must be stupid, but that´s no reason to ignore it... Thanks!

Started a new game as the English. Never played them before.

In 830AD, as I took over the reigns of my new nation, I checked to see how the world was doing. Persia has no more, their lands taken by the Indians. Rome held her usual territory along with Sur. Greece was strong, moving north and east. Arabia held her peninsula, and i foresaw a challenge with Rome and Greece in the mix.

China was not to be found. In its place, a HUGE barbarian empire pushing Japan's culture back and teeming with units and large developed cities. It will be fun to see the state in coming centuries!

Christianity is the #1 religion, with Arabia and most European civs. Islam is the religion of Spain and Russia. The east is Confucianist.

Barak said:
China was not to be found. In its place, a HUGE barbarian empire pushing Japan's culture back and teeming with units and large developed cities. It will be fun to see the state in coming centuries!

As I said in a previous post, it was the same in my game as Japan with RFC4 v.060.
New try, RFC4 v.062, with Persia ... Egypt was totally annihilated by the barbarians.. just a few years after the discovery of Cristianity... (camel archer and horseman vs chariots :confused: )...

Rhye, I know that an average human player could escape this menace and I agree with you.. but I still think that barbarians are too powerful for the AI, expecially in that time, near 0-10 AD.
IMHO, we can't lose Egypt and China (or another major ancient civ) so early in the game.

please be more specific...did old versions always work? Try to delete and reunzip it

Thanks... Well, I played an much older version, one of the first, and this is the latest one (0.62), and it was a clean install in the ...\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS folder... Well, hope this helps!

Elhoim said:
Thanks... Well, I played an much older version, one of the first, and this is the latest one (0.62), and it was a clean install in the ...\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS folder... Well, hope this helps!

i think nothing has ever changed in the installation... :confused:
Do you start the correct scenario file?

I´m using the one called "RhyesCatapult_022iron.Civ4WorldBuilderSave". I tried installing it in the mods folder of the Civ 4 main installation folder, but I have the same problem...

I´ll try with an older version...

Elhoim said:

wait a minute...
what's the in the dots before \My Games\?

If it's in your documents, it's wrong. It must be placed in your real civ4 folder.

In my last game as Persia, I won the game by culture in 1820. At that time Arabia and I were tops in science having both entered the modern age. I was researching industrialism, and did NOT have to use tons of culture bombs in my top culture cities.

Is 20,000 culture the right point to everyone, or do we think it should be pushed back to 25,000 or so? I used culture boosting buildings for the most part and used great artists sparingly. And since I was Persia the land was not intended to support huge cities.

Top Bottom