Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to use this post to sum up all the tech tree errors, or questionable prerequisites.

1. The Hoplite is available at Pottery instead of Bronze Working like other spear units.
2. The Granary is available with Bronze Working instead of Pottery, which is pretty questionable.
3. The Phoenician Bireme comes available at Bronze Working. No other boats come on this path. All other Ancient boats come with Pottery or Sailing.
4. Monotheism doesn't seem to do anything, and both Polytheism and Monotheism are required advances. Is there something in store for these techs that I haven't noticed?
5. The Elephant Archer and Camel Rider come available at Riding, but they can't possibly be used until Elephants and Camels are discovered with Mounted Combat.
6. Does Ritual Sacrifice do anything?

Jaguar said:
I'm going to use this post to sum up all the tech tree errors, or questionable prerequisites.

1. The Hoplite is available at Pottery instead of Bronze Working like other spear units.
2. The Granary is available with Bronze Working instead of Pottery, which is pretty questionable.
3. The Phoenician Bireme comes available at Bronze Working. No other boats come on this path. All other Ancient boats come with Pottery or Sailing.
4. Monotheism doesn't seem to do anything, and both Polytheism and Monotheism are required advances. Is there something in store for these techs that I haven't noticed?
5. The Elephant Archer and Camel Rider come available at Riding, but they can't possibly be used until Elephants and Camels are discovered with Mounted Combat.
6. Does Ritual Sacrifice do anything?

1,2,3,5. Thanks, I'll correct at once. Obviously these are not intended to be in that way. When changing everything it's easy to forget something.

4.6 To be implemented.
Monotheism will host a wonder and possibily some religion mechanism (if I get it work)
Ritual Sacrifice will host a wonder and an improvement to increase sacrifice points.

staf48 said:
Allora, ho seguito le tue istruzioni e ho installato il patch 1.22 per Conquest in inglese. Ho copiato i tuoi 4 zipfile, li ho decompressi e riuniti nelle due directory Art e Text che ho salvato sotto una directory "Rhye's of Civilization".
Ho messo il tutto sotto Conquests/Scenarios.
Niente da fare.
Allora ho spostato tutti i file di Art e Text nelle rispettive directory direttamente sotto Conquests, avendo cura di non cancellare le directory esistenti e cambiando solo i file da te modificati.
Mi sono accorto che all'apertura il programma cercava i file in inglese delle unità di Civ II (es: Settler e non Colone) così ho cambiato il nome delle unità nelle directory di Civilization III/Art/Units una ad una, usando i nomi inglesi.
OK, ora ci siamo. Tutto funziona, ma quando inizia la partita stranamente i messaggi sono tutti sballati (vedi file allegati). E' come se leggesse i file in Text/Labels nell'ordine sbagliato.
Curiosamente, se inizio una partita normale (anziché lo scenario "Rhye's..." da "Civ-content") il testo viene letto correttamente.

Qui mi sono fermato, scoraggiato.

Mi potresti aiutare? non vedo l'ora di provare il tuo scenario!

grazie fin d'ora per la tua risposta

Staf48

Allora, per prima cosa purtroppo devi rinominare tutti i file .ini all'interno delle cartelle con le unità. Sia di Civ base (detto anche Vanilla) sia delle due espansioni. L'hai fatto vero?

Inoltre il testo sbagliato viene dal file labels.txt.

Più tardi te lo posto qui.

Rhye said:
Are you spanish? From where?
I'm American but I lived in Castilla y Leon last summer, and I've been learning it in school for seven years. I've also been on vacations to several Spanish-speaking countries, and I worked at a bilingual preschool for a while. I still don't by any means speak it perfectly, but I can read it easily and write it fairly well. (Learning to read another language is easier than learing to write it, speak it, or hear it.)

I expect to return to Spain next summer, this time to Cantabria. I hope to be fluent by the time I'm an adult.

With regards to Ritual Sacrifice, Polytheism, and Monotheism:

You could give each one a "none era" prerequisite that's untradeable and only given to certain civs. The Israelites get the Monotheism prerequisite, the Classical civs get the Polytheism prerequisite, and the Mesoamericans get the Ritual Sacrifice prerequisite. Then you move them all to the exact same spot in the tech tree, and make them optional. That way each group has a unique tech to research, and you don't have the Israelites researching Ritual Sacrifice or Polytheism.

Jaguar said:
I'm American but I lived in Castilla y Leon last summer, and I've been learning it in school for seven years. I've also been on vacations to several Spanish-speaking countries, and I worked at a bilingual preschool for a while. I still don't by any means speak it perfectly, but I can read it easily and write it fairly well. (Learning to read another language is easier than learing to write it, speak it, or hear it.)

What's your favourite spanish futbol team?

Jaguar said:
I expect to return to Spain next summer, this time to Cantabria. I hope to be fluent by the time I'm an adult.

What city?

Jaguar said:
With regards to Ritual Sacrifice, Polytheism, and Monotheism:
You could give each one a "none era" prerequisite that's untradeable and only given to certain civs. The Israelites get the Monotheism prerequisite, the Classical civs get the Polytheism prerequisite, and the Mesoamericans get the Ritual Sacrifice prerequisite. Then you move them all to the exact same spot in the tech tree, and make them optional. That way each group has a unique tech to research, and you don't have the Israelites researching Ritual Sacrifice or Polytheism.

I have jyst tried.
Hey! I didn't know that if you haven't the hidden prerequisite, the tech doesn't show!
I have to think about the possible ways to get something useful from this.
A structure that allows diversification but that doesn't create inequity from one religion to another.

The way I proposed some time ago (a small wonder with "replace all improvements with this flag checked") doesn't work. That flag works only with the improvements.

What's your favourite spanish futbol team?
Real Madrid. Zidane is awesome.
What city?
Last summer was Segovia. Next summer, Santander.
Hey! I didn't know that if you haven't the hidden prerequisite, the tech doesn't show!
I have to think about the possible ways to get something useful from this.
A structure that allows diversification but that doesn't create inequity from one religion to another.
I think that the "Temple" can be a generic improvement coming at Mysticism, which all civs can build. However, there should be a religion split after that. Most of the main religions must be equal, but it's OK if the MesoAmerican religions are weaker in, say, the Middle Ages.

Io sono Aussie. Non parlo Italiano. ;)

Now back to the game. Playing India on Emperor setting to build a settler takes over 100 turns and even longer with all the instances of disease. Once the plague hit as well, and I just gave up on that game. In short I think India needs to be looked at. It should populate a lot, have a medium to strong culture, but be weak militarily.

I know it is a case of Israel or Babylon, but Babylon is far too weak. I think Babylon need to have stronger research.

Also England, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Vikings should get inter continental sea bonuses.

Rome, Greece and Byzantines should be more restrict to local areas, but a lot stronger in those areas. I think they should receive a Mediterranean bonus, say in combat. That can be done by making some extra ships that can only operate in the Mediterranean.

Disease is missing in South America. Not so much for the locals, although we know Europeans brought disease to the new world. What I am thinking is that Europeans in South America should not have the same benefits as the locals. I am not sure how that can be implemented.

Is it possible to have nations having preexisting opinions about other nations? Perhaps this can be achieved via an indirect route such as trade.

I think all trade commodities are grossly undervalued. If you cannot stay at the top of research and tech trading you are doomed to fall behind. There is no peaceful way to catch up. (Emperor setting)

I think that maps and goods should have much higher values. They should be readily traded for techs.

Also is it possible to slow down the development so that eras exist longer?

I have a few thoughts regarding colonization.

First off, I'd like to say that RoC has the best colonization model of any World-map mod I've seen. I remember my joy when, in a game as the English, I began to colonize Africa and the Americas, and began to see not just a few, but many French, Spanish, and Portuguese colonies appear next to mine. I was very impressed. However, even the best has room for improvement.

1. The problems of early colonization or early colonization by wrong civs:

Africa gets colonized much earlier than it should be. African colonies should start appearing a little ways into the Medieval Era, not before then. Another place that gets colonized too early or by the wrong people is Ireland. Rarely do the British get to settle Ireland. In fact, it is almost always France who takes the Emerald Isle. So here's my solution. Check "Transports only Foot Units" for the Galley. And secondly, make Medieval Settlers Foot units. This delays colonization of Africa until a little ways after Feudalism. But there's one last part to this plan. Given that some civs colonized over water during the ancient age, it would be accurate to let those civs load settlers onto ships. Give them a special settler, with the same cost, named "Settler ". Their settler will be a foot unit. The civs that would get this special settler are the ones that should be encouraged to do a lot of development by sea even in the Ancient Age: England, Scandinavia, Greece, Carthage, and Byzantium.

2. The problem of getting the Americans up to speed on tech

The Americans civ should get a distinct advantage over the Native American civs once the time the Europeans get to the Americas. The best way this can be accomplished is by making sure they have European-level tech after the Old World makes contact. This can be done with a "Great Library" style wonder which gives them any tech two other civs have. This wonder could be given to them by a special none-era tech the Americans have from the start, or it could require a resource that only the Americans have. (The first option is better.) They should be able to build it without other civs having a chance. Then, when a couple of European civs have made contact, they will have excellent technology and they will be able to easily outdevelop the Native American rivals. You could also consider giving them a "Pioneer" unique settler unit which is cheaper than regular Medieval settlers. Then they'd quickly fill up the USA territory.

CJ, the things you're asking aren't possible! I did my best to re-create the world evolution, but my power ends here... The editor doesn't allow many things that would be needed.

Of the things you've said, I can do something on the plague (I can reduce its strength).

CJ. said:
Also is it possible to slow down the development so that eras exist longer?

the game is built on a 400 turns length. Tech costs are balanced to fit this. Higher costs would mean longer eras, but that would require a longer game, with many more turns.

Jaguar said:
I have a few thoughts regarding colonization.

First off, I'd like to say that RoC has the best colonization model of any World-map mod I've seen. I remember my joy when, in a game as the English, I began to colonize Africa and the Americas, and began to see not just a few, but many French, Spanish, and Portuguese colonies appear next to mine. I was very impressed. However, even the best has room for improvement.

1. The problems of early colonization or early colonization by wrong civs:

Africa gets colonized much earlier than it should be. African colonies should start appearing a little ways into the Medieval Era, not before then. Another place that gets colonized too early or by the wrong people is Ireland. Rarely do the British get to settle Ireland. In fact, it is almost always France who takes the Emerald Isle. So here's my solution. Check "Transports only Foot Units" for the Galley. And secondly, make Medieval Settlers Foot units. This delays colonization of Africa until a little ways after Feudalism. But there's one last part to this plan. Given that some civs colonized over water during the ancient age, it would be accurate to let those civs load settlers onto ships. Give them a special settler, with the same cost, named "Settler ". Their settler will be a foot unit. The civs that would get this special settler are the ones that should be encouraged to do a lot of development by sea even in the Ancient Age: England, Scandinavia, Greece, Carthage, and Byzantium.

2. The problem of getting the Americans up to speed on tech

The Americans civ should get a distinct advantage over the Native American civs once the time the Europeans get to the Americas. The best way this can be accomplished is by making sure they have European-level tech after the Old World makes contact. This can be done with a "Great Library" style wonder which gives them any tech two other civs have. This wonder could be given to them by a special none-era tech the Americans have from the start, or it could require a resource that only the Americans have. (The first option is better.) They should be able to build it without other civs having a chance. Then, when a couple of European civs have made contact, they will have excellent technology and they will be able to easily outdevelop the Native American rivals. You could also consider giving them a "Pioneer" unique settler unit which is cheaper than regular Medieval settlers. Then they'd quickly fill up the USA territory.

These ideas are interesting.
I won't implement them as they are presented here, because I don't want to create advantages/disadvantages for certain civs.
However we can work them out.

For example a sort of new great library could be available with a certain American-only resource.

I can try to make ancient settlers not loadable in galleys and see what happens. But I'll do this for every civ, or to none.
But it seems to me that colonization of Africa doesn't happen in the game before middle ages. Before that, only carthage, egypt and ethiopia seem to expand.

The addition of a couple of wonders that allow free slaves and free harbours will increase the realism of this colonization model.

Unfortunately, the number of wonders I'll add depends on what I'll do with religions, so I must solve this problem as a whole.

Having some serious problems with Civ (messed up a modification and caused some serious problems :{) so I wont have much to say for a bit

I just woke up from my torpor of the last days, with a brand new idea, based on last suggestions I had on religions.

The religions I think to add are the most widespread nowadays basing on stathistics (Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hindiusm, Hebraism) and a few ancient religions (Greek mytholgy, Egyptian Mythology, Norse Mythology, Mesoamerican cults, generic pagan cults).

Each civ will have 2 religious traits that will allow them to build some wonders.

Now, what I need is the info.
I need to know:

-what have Mongol religions been all through history. Only buddhism?
-what have Korean religions been all through history. Only buddhism?
-what have Ottoman religions been all through history. Only islam?
-what have Arabian religions been all through history. Only islam?
The civs I mentioned plus Israel, China and Japan lack their 2nd trait. What should it be? Generic pagan cult?

I like the idea, but I think Greek, Egyptian and Norse mythology weren't really the religions but only the set of myths surrounding the religion. All three can simply be classed as Polytheism because deep down the religion was very similar... Each facet of the natural world had a representative character and you worshipped whichever part of nature was relevant to your worship.
I don't know about the rest, but if the bible is any indication, monotheism is what turned the Israelites from a family into a nation. And it's called Judaism, no Hebraism. xD
For the Hebrews at least, perhaps they should have double benefits of Judaism because of never having another religion. Or something.

I know it's still mythology, but I've got too many wonders. I have to divide them. And nordic civs shouldn't build greek nor egyptian mythology wonders.

The relgions I listed are divided in 2 groups. Meso, Pagan, Judaism, the Mythologies and Hindu are in the ancient tech tree. Cristianity, Islamism and Buddhism in the middle ages (available with theology)
It's a very strict scheme, but I can't do otherwise. The mono background forces me.

My goal is to assign 2 traits for each civ. And they must be one of each group.
That's why I ask what's Israelis 2nd religion.
Giving them only Judaism would create a hole in the tech tree (an arrow pointing to nothing)

Well then maybe you should add a second "type" of Judaism (representing the more "developed" modern form of the religion that has not changed in the last few hundres years, in it's core, but was not the same three thousand years ago). Some other religions may warrant a later form as well.
And the "Mythologies" should be called Greek Polytheism, Egyptian Polyhteism, etc. The mythology is NOT the religion.

EDIT: Oh, and it's Islam, not Islamism.

Blasphemous said:
Well then maybe you should add a second "type" of Judaism (representing the more "developed" modern form of the religion that has not changed in the last few hundres years, in it's core, but was not the same three thousand years ago). Some other religions may warrant a later form as well.

This is the list by now:
ROM GRE CRI
EGY EGY MUS
GRE GRE CRI
BAB PAG MUS
GER NOR CRI
RUS PAG CRI
CHI PAG BUD
AME PAG CRI
JAP PAG BUD
FRA PAG CRI
IND HIN MUS
PER PAG MUS
AZT MESO CRI
ZUL PAG CRI
IRO PAG CRI
ENG NOR CRI
MON PAG BUD
SPA GRE CRI
SCA NOR CRI
OTT PAG MUS
AUT NOR CRI
ARA PAG MUS
CAR GRE MUS
KOR PAG BUD
ISR JUD
ETH CRI MUS
HOL PAG CRI
POR GRE CRI
BYZ GRE CRI
INC MESO CRI
MAY MESO CRI

Each trait will allow to a tech. Each tech will have 1 or 2 wonders.
I could even add some diversification to "pagan".

As you see Israel is a problem. Jud/Jud will make them benefit of less wonders.
Well, I can always make those wonders more powerful...

Blasphemous said:
And the "Mythologies" should be called Greek Polytheism, Egyptian Polyhteism, etc. The mythology is NOT the religion.

Yes, the religious trait (in other words, the hidden tech) is the religion. The tech could be called mythology, too.

Blasphemous said:

Would it be right to call it Orthodox Judaism and Reform Judaism or do you think that is too late and an earlier (middle ages) form would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom