RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

The main question though is HOW you use your reference to the Khazad. A python block saying "You absolutely MUST maintain this much gold!" can be debilitating. The function I mentioned has a pretty stern "Hey, keep cash around doofus!" attached to it, but there are exceptions scattered through the code where it says things like "Ok, we are about to die, and have a lot of troops which aren't upgraded, so I GUESS we can let you break open the piggy-bank..."

The main question though is HOW you use your reference to the Khazad. A python block saying "You absolutely MUST maintain this much gold!" can be debilitating. The function I mentioned has a pretty stern "Hey, keep cash around doofus!" attached to it, but there are exceptions scattered through the code where it says things like "Ok, we are about to die, and have a lot of troops which aren't upgraded, so I GUESS we can let you break open the piggy-bank..."

This I don't know yet. :lol: I do know I want the AI to be reluctant to dip into the bank, but do so if necessary... Or if it will help it make more money long-term. (IE, rush-build the Bazaar, assuming it doesn't take the vaults too low. :p)

I'll be looking at how others have done it, and working off that, but I get the feeling that AI work really needs to be done in the DLL rather than python, like most of the AI mods have done... Seems more flexible, not to mention faster.

Since this is an Ideas, Requests and Feedback thread, here's a couple:

(1) Availability of the "Flying" promotion to the Angel race, probably with a fairly high prerequisite like Combat 5. Hey, demons and undead get that Fear type promo available at that prereqlevel, give the Angels something special that helps justify all the winged models. Granted some National Units can fly (Ophanim, Heralds, something else?), but making it open to the rank n' file Angels with oodles of experience adds some new tactical wrinkles. Guess it'd also work out nicely for Brigit, Sphener, or anyone else with the XP to spend on it.

(2) Some more "cast once for one permanent buff" tier III spells, for as many spheres as you can dream up, much in the theme of Death III being not just Wraiths, but Lichdom available. Examples:
(a) Shadow III keeping "Summon Mistform", but also getting an "Invisibility" available to your lucky archmage, basically meaning s/he would get the same promotion as Shadows do. If it's too unbalancing to have a permanently Invisible death dealer like that, a spell granting "Hidden" like Krakens or Ghosts get would be reasonable.
(b) Enchantment III keeping the Create Spellstaff deal, but also a "once per caster" type of generic magic weapon or armor they can create to have carried around by themselves or some other unit, just like a Golden Hammer, Orthus Axe, Netherblade, whatever (but not like the nontransferrable "Master" gear from the various pay-for-promo buildings). Alternately, just have a "Create Wondrous Item" spell that simply pulls a random, non-unique piece of equipment (or consumable like a potion) from a long list, and the Archmage becomes able to cast the spell again if that item is ever lost by your empire (such as it getting drank like a potion or captured in a war). If someone wanted to be really fancy, putting three buttons for "Create Weapon", "Create Armor", "Create Wondrous Item" on when you acquire Enchantment III, and once you blow any one of them off, the other two vanish, well, that might work too, knocking out the element of chance a great deal.
(c) Earth III getting some kind of "Stone Walk" promotion, effectively giving them double speed in hills and the ability to traverse mountains. Tossing around an Earth Elemental is fun and all, but tossing 'em from a mountaintop is better (well, at least until a dwarven druid or one of those flying units noted above comes and bloodies your nose).
(d) Fire III, get some kind of Fire Immunity promo, which hey, means immunity to fire damage, but also the ability to walk through fiery areas like orcs and demons. It's a minor thing, but at least fits the suggested theme that not only might you have water walkers, stone walkers, flying guys, but also guys who can traverse hell terrain etc. very well.
(e) There's probably dozens of threads around the boards with other Tier III ideas, I'm sure there's lots of good and/or better ideas than the above, but c'mon, wizards are supposed to fly, turn invisible, create magic items (other than just from a meteor falling and paying 50gp!), I'm playing to the classics here. :)

(3) All those "master" equipment promotions, have 'em grant a pittance of gold-loot whenever you kill a unit with them. I'm not talking a huge bounty, even 1 gold per equipment promotion on death would do. So if you have some national unit, especially the recon ones, who can carry around 5 or 6 of these "woods gear", "mantraps", "superior kit", whatever, at least you get a happy little surprise in terms of gold. I would not though, support "dropping" the equipment for anyone to pick up. At best, maybe a small % chance that the unit's killer "steals" any of these relevant promotions if it fits their unit type, as an alternative to getting some gold. So your assassin killing another assassin who has Deadly Nightshade, may have a 5% chance of salvaging it and themselves acquiring the promo. But your knight (mounted line) who kills the Deadly Nightshade user (recon line), would never manage to pick it up... different story though if he fought a Death Knight (also mounted line) with Cataphract Armor. *shrugs*

(4) Religious conversion at the single unit level - I've always hated Recon units being built in an Esus city sometimes missing out on the Esus religion. At the same time though, sometimes you end up with a big Mercurian/Infernals war going on and you MAY feel like micromanaging where your highest XP units are going to end up when they get killed off. How's this for a solution: visit a holy city, pay 1 gold to convert a non-disciple, non-religious hero unit to the relevant religion, casting time, call it one turn. This is regardless of whether the holy shrine has actually been built, i.e., visiting the holy city of Runes, you could convert without worrying about whether the owner (possibly an AI) had built the Tablets. I honestly forget whether the Esus holy city is unknown unless you convert to Esus, but I suppose it could be a subtle form of recon to be in a certain city, and to see a spell available to your unit called "Convert to Esus." This may encourage a little extra Open Borders incentive if you really, really want your recon units to visit the Esus city and need to keep its owner on your good side (until you can stab them in the back and take it for your own).

(5) Bounty Hunter promo payoffs, jack them up based on unit XP, number of promos, or something else that a script / code / whatever makes easy to count. Maybe 1 gold per 5xp? 1 gold per 10xp? 1 gold per 2 promotions? Don't know, the only idea is to make famous/notorious/powerful targets, attractive to a bounty hunter.

Anyhow I know some of these ideas must be repetitive of other ideas "somewhere out there", I've enjoyed playing FF+ so I figured since there's an organized "Ideas" thread, I'd throw in some favourites.

Hmm... I like number 1. At first I was iffy, but the opposite faction DOES get both Fear, and Cannibalize, so I can see it.

2. Not sure here... Already adding one for Nature, although it's Bezeri only. I'm not sure there's enough use for other spells like that, but I'll think on it. If I can think of enough (Or if other people give enough ideas, doing the work for me.... ;)), I'll put them in.

3. This one could be done easily, at least the first part... I don't want to put in any salvaging, but I could add 1 gold for each master's promo.

4. I have this planned for Esus, in any city with the religion, costing gold... I can see adding it to other religions, requiring gold cost, trip to the holy city, and a few turns 'praying'. Would have to block religious units, religious heroes, and a few other things like Elks. Probably just block all animals/beasts.

5. I like the idea, but it's a pain to implement... Actually, maybe not. Could use Xienwolf's postcombatwon tag in promotioninfos, grab the xp of the losing unit, reduce it, round down, and then add gold.

I'm more than willing to listen to any ideas, so post more if you have them. :goodjob:

(5) Bounty Hunter promo payoffs, jack them up based on unit XP, number of promos, or something else that a script / code / whatever makes easy to count. Maybe 1 gold per 5xp? 1 gold per 10xp? 1 gold per 2 promotions? Don't know, the only idea is to make famous/notorious/powerful targets, attractive to a bounty hunter.

I strongly disagree with this idea. I have 4 or 5 units with BH Promos. 2 gold per kill gets me 10gold/turn on attack and sometimes 40-50gold/turn on defense. You can run an entire economy on the gold from BH as it is now.

If there was an upgrade that required BH AND Heroic Attack 2 AND Heroic Defense 2, there for only VERY experienced units could get it and since it would be limited to heroes you wouldn't see stacks of units with it, that wouldn't bee as bad.

If you do implement the extra gold for killing a unit with a Master's Equipment promotion, don't resort to python as your first impulse might suggest. There is a field in Promotions to grant Yields or Commerces to the opponent when you are killed.

If you did do that, you would also scale it (inversely) by distance from your own territory, so that fighting an offensive war nets you almost nothing (out of borders, nobody cared to put a bounty on them), but fighting a defensive war gets you some decent profits. Though if you did do it like that you would be aiming for some sort of "realism" so you wouldn't get ANY bounty for killing a unit you are actually at war with, just for Barbarians and HN units (all the others it is your JOB to kill, so you might gain spoils, but not a bounty)

Would it be possible to check for a promotion like hero? If possible it should be a huge boost to the bounty to take down a unit that realistically should have a big bounty.

I would tend to think that heroes, mages, high level, and high tier units should have higher bounties, while low level tier 1 units should have no bounties at all.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments Valkrionn.

I recognize item (2) about spells might've seemed half assed, since there wasn't a "special" for every sphere named, but like I said I was trying to hit some D&D classics. We've got Fireball, Stoneskin, Haste, more Summon Creature spells than you can shake a stick at, so missing items like Invisibility, Flight, or some process of ending up with extra magic arms and armor (via Enchantment III and an Archmage maybe having to sit out big battles churning out a new item every 5 turns?) seemed fit, or at least more fit than "Summon a Shadowy guy" / "Summon an Air guy" / "Break Spellstaff to cast something over again because you can't take Twincast" type of thing.

Also on (3) and (5), I am of the mind that LOW gold rewards adjustments would do, as a little extra something for a victor over someone dripping with expensive gear, or with XP / Promos. The fact that you've denied an opponent, AI or otherwise, of a high value unit, is basically reward enough. Ever count up how much gear a "superunit" can acquire, especially on the recon line? Expensive to outfit! Killing a unit which cost the owner a couple hundred gold to outfit is good stuff. Same with killing a unit who's survived 200 battles and has the XP to show for it, that's also great. Still, a minor reward seems in order, just like when a Privateer kills a fat trade vessel.

Regarding the Master equipment promos not being salvage capable though... in a different form, that'd be a tasty treat for units with the "Steal" ability though, wouldn't it? There may only be one Orthus Axe out there, but stealing someone's Fine Kit or Cursed Lance could be fun, although I guess it'd need a lot of thought to figure out what say, a Svart Ranger would do with a "Fast Horse", "Blessed Armor", or other things not normal for the recon line to have. *shrugs* Still, if it's not nailed down, that means it's yours.

If you did do that, you would also scale it (inversely) by distance from your own territory, so that fighting an offensive war nets you almost nothing (out of borders, nobody cared to put a bounty on them), but fighting a defensive war gets you some decent profits. Though if you did do it like that you would be aiming for some sort of "realism" so you wouldn't get ANY bounty for killing a unit you are actually at war with, just for Barbarians and HN units (all the others it is your JOB to kill, so you might gain spoils, but not a bounty)

So maybe units in Neutral territory?

So, anyone seen this yet?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12802

I can see so many uses for that model... :lol:

Malakim sand worms. I must use them for that unit's model.

For once, I'm going to ask for ideas on a specific subject... Need a name for the production-fallow trait. Can't be Aquatic, as it may eventually be used for a land based civ. I'd like something to reflect the non-industialized nature of a civ that doesn't use hammers... Ideas?

futile, ineffective, pointless, unavailing, depleted, desolate, impoverished, infecund, wasteful...

Biotechnical
Biomechanical
Bioconstructive
Biomanipulative
Biocreatures
Biotools

Edit people have been recomanding things like lazy. I don't think that's the intent at all. Valk has said that the Bezeri will be Production-Fallow because they use biotech and bio-constructs, not because their lazy or anything like that.

Top Bottom