1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Do we already know the full set: 9 governments, 9 GP buildings, 9 policy cards? I think we are missing tier 3 for buildings and policies, right?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The "Armenians" also then included Trabzon (including Sinope)... and definitely the children of pontus. It was more like a multi genocide....
    EDIT... in fact --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

We are missing tier 3 buildings and most of the legacy policy cards.

Siptah likes this.
  4. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

This was a few pages back now, but I just want to clear up that this is not the case. An australian gunner took out the Red Baron from the ground. Brown got credit for it for a while though.

We had many aces in Canada. Billy Bishop is our most famous. We get taught about him in elementary school, he has airports named after him and he was the ace with the third highest victory count of WWI.

Kimiimaro, Thormodr and God of Kings like this.
  5. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

And it is official I have an early morning of Friday

Thormodr likes this.
  6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It's great that a 2K Games staff member is reading this website.

It had to be a certain cyan canary though. Unfortunately, it's not specific which time of day the livestreams would be in.

7. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Other than the promotions/buffs of the remaining few governors, what else could they possibly discuss regarding the governor system during the livestream? Unless there is a feature not previously mentioned, I felt they already covered a lot of ground.

CPWimmer and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  8. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Yep. What we actually need to know about:
    - Emergincies.
    - The second new district.
    - Other balance changes.
    - What is the current situation with the Cree.

h0nk0815, Thormodr and Phoenix1595 like this.
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yes, there just isn't much depth to this particular feature.

10. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

That is a subject of much debate and is still unresolved.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/red-baron-theories.html

Anyway, I do wish that they would make airplanes more interesting in this or hopefully the second expansion. They seem rather lacklustre, IMHO.

11. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Do you think this expansion will actually encourage people to grow their cities instead of building just stopping at low pop because worker charges are better spent at chopping instead of farms and low pop is enough to get the districts you want?

12. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

There have been many signs that tall play is being brought back as a viable option with R&F.

13. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Im not update on all fronts, but in what would you say encourage you to build up your land instead of just chopping and build the one two districts you want?

Currently farms for example are pretty poor investment which is a bit ridiculous while harvesting is really strong so strong games are based on how to exploit it the most.

14. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Hope it will not be equally viable. There are some things for tall players, but also some things for expansionists and conquerors.

15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Uhm... There's a lot of things. Governors boost cities and some of them have per-population bonuses or similar, but you only have up to 7 governors and if you want to upgrade them a lot you'll have even fewer. Cities far away from your core might flip away. The Audience Chamber (Government Plaza building) gives bonus housing and amenities, but only to cities with a governor, tall cities will make you suffer from Dark Ages less, as loyalty is per-citizen only. And there might be more that we don't know about yet.

Equally viable is fine. It's just that they shouldn't strangle one of them with penalties like they did in civ V, and they're not doing that. In R&F they're doing the balance the way it should be done - bonuses to wide that you don't unlock by playing tall (having more cities and districts) and bonuses to tall that you don't unlock (or at least don't optimally use) by playing wide (Governor bonuses, loyalty, etc).

Thormodr and KyivanRusCivPlease like this.
  16. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Governors do much more than just boost citizens and the ability that boost per citizens may not be worth the investment, governors can also be moved around. As far as I understand the only way to lose loyalty is if your city is close to foregine cities so playing aggressively seems to be more encouraged than before. Audience Chamber can give alot of stuff and the one that need governors may not be worth it.

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Equally viable means strangling wide play. By defition, tall play ingnores 2 of 4X, generally half of the game. Players shouldn't be able to do so without additional difficulties.

18. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

The best would be if we saw empires with many large cities instead of what we see currently. In which minimal cities are very good because of the district and chops they can have while growing cities at all is pretty pointless for anything but roleplaying.

Trengilly likes this.
  19. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

No, viable tall does not strangle wide. Penalties strangle wide. Wide vs tall, when implmented properly, lets you make a decision which bonuses you take. And I know that I, for one, will decide on going wide in 90% of the cases. If people want tall that badly though, sure, put it in the game, as long as I can play wide I don't care.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  20. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

This exactly. Unfortunately at the moment I don't see much really helping. With governors, loyalty, etc it looks like they are making tall more viable but the issue isn't a tall vs wide one. They really need to increase the value of large cities (for all size empires) vs small cities.

The other main issue is a production/value balance issue. Chopping is too powerful and many of the districts/buildings aren't worth their production costs (not to mention wonders) regardless of if you are tall or wide. I'm still hopeful that they will make adjustments that help.

But I'm greatly concerned that the additional complexity they are adding is just going to expose new exploits.

Wingednosering and Denkt like this.