[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

I don't know why but my minimap is as big as in CQUI and I don't have any mods right now (unsubscribed from all of them). Also, it looks like I am not getting ages filters (it's not darker during the dark age etc; it only works when I load the game). Maybe it's somehow bugged in Multiplayer because my friend didn't have it too. Or maybe it's because I am playing on the lowest possible settings.

The minimap size is adjustable in the options menu.

As I understand it, aquaduct placement is slightly more complicated - for the river option, it has to be adjacent to a section of river that is not also adjacent to the city center. That's usually not an issue, but it looks like your river ends right next to the city.

That's never been a problem before though..

Yes, that's it.

Alas, no lols. The tile you're hovering over only has one river side, which is shared with the city centre. So the river's 'taken' there. A tile must have another river side to allow aqueduct.

So why does the tile I'm hovering on show 'River'? :S That tile has an adjacency to river. I've never encountered this before, in 900 hours of playing 0.o

That's never been a problem before though..

So why does the tile I'm hovering on show 'River'? :S That tile has an adjacency to river. I've never encountered this before, in 900 hours of playing 0.o
See the housing guide pinned in the strategy and tips forum for all the details on placing an aquaduct. Simply being next to a mountain or river is not complete. And it's been that way since the base game was released.

See the housing guide pinned in the strategy and tips forum for all the details on placing an aquaduct. Simply being next to a mountain or river is not complete. And it's been that way since the base game was released.

Then I must never have encountered it : ) Quite cool though, that the game has so many random factors that I can play it for 900 hours without seeing this one.

I have run into a slight problem. I do need to go to bed soon so I can work early tomorrow morning, but I'm quite enjoying my game with Mongolia, and I soon need to teach Pedro a lesson in manners. What should I do?

I seriously don't know how I'm going to stop this game. I'm really enjoying this expansion so far. Some of you guys already finished games, but I'm only in 250 AD on epic, and I want this game to last.

My first Rise & Fall game is proving to be very interesting. I am playing as Mapuche. Georgia and Spain are to my North. I got 2 city states to my East and South West. Georgia and Spain declare a joint war against me in the Classical Age and pull both city states into the war against me. Both city states swarm me with warriors and archers. I lose one city and almost lose a second city (managed to make peace just in time). I am down to 3 cities. I pump out some settlers to come back and continue my expansion. I have been getting normal ages so far. I am focusing on science and culture. It is the Medieval Age and I got 5 cities now. I built the Oracle and 2 science districts and a theather district. Spain is in a Golden Age, probably thanks to founding and spreading their religion. Spain is running away with the game. It captured the city state of Valleta and conquered Tbilissi which activated an Military Emergency against Spain. I accept. So I am now moving my units to liberate Tbilissi. Thanks to Spain's Golden Age, as Mapuche, I get +10 combat against Spanish units which should really help me succeed in the emergency. And I am only on turn 120 or so.

Other impressions:
The Dark/Golden Age system is really nice because it breaks the game up better into "chapters".

I like governors. They are a nice way to boost individual cities.

AI seems much better as proof of the city states razing one of my cities and Spain going on a warmongering spree. And I am playing on Prince.

and I want this game to last.
That's the way I like to enjoy my games, too. Role playing for the experience (not to win ASAP).
Just think of the pleasure of your delayed gratification as you get a good evening's(?) sleep. Sweet dreams!

The wording of the patch notes suggests that the new algorithm may not consider the distances between city states, only their distance from major civs - it just places them wherever there's space between major civs.
Then why does the code state that 5 is the minimum start distance? It should be discarding the spots if they are within 5 hexes of each other.

globalparameters.xml

<Replace Name="START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION" Value="9" />

<Replace Name="START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_NATURAL_WONDER" Value="3" />

<Replace Name="START_DISTANCE_MINOR_CIVILIZATION_START" Value="5" />

<Replace Name="START_DISTANCE_MINOR_MAJOR_CIVILIZATION" Value="7" />

assignstartingplots.lua

function AssignStartingPlots:__SetStartMinor(plots)
-- Sort by fertility of all the plots
-- eliminate them if they do not meet the following:
-- distance to another civilization
-- distance to a natural wonder
-- minimum production
-- minimum food

I haven't seen any problems with majors being to close, you will see them at a 8 hex distance but that is because the AI sometimes moves it's settler on the first turn.

I've seen so many posts on Facebook today that are angry that the expansion isn't included in the Digital Deluxe. Do people not read what's included in what they buy?:dunno:

This. It feels saddening that most of the complaints are not valid at all. Even on Steam, R&F states that it requires the base game. Digital Deluxe clearly states which DLCs are included. I don't want to be a conspiracist and think that some commenters there are just trolling to mislead. I just wish this won't hurt R&F sales.

Last edited:
I've seen so many posts on Facebook today that are angry that the expansion isn't included in the Digital Deluxe. Do people not read what's included in what they buy?:dunno:

Nope. Most people don’t read instruction manuals, either. :sad:

I don't know what the lyrics are, but the Zulu's rhythmic chanting and clapping is way too soothing considering how many people I am currently sticking spears through... but it's catchy.

Not the Cree's, though. fudge, their chanting is annoying.

After playing a full game as the Dutch, I have to complain a bit that the terrain restrictions for the Polder are far too restrictive. I think I had about 7 in total over about 12 cities. I wish they could also go on marshes like in Civ V...

Loving the expansion so far. Already made a few posts in the Funny Screenshots thread, but let me give a quick summary of my 'first' game, just like some others have done.

First of all, I have had to start over three times (all Netherlands), and in all four games I had early barbarian problems and then got declared a surprise war by another civ in ancient era. First two I quit because I was about to lose, third game I didn't even try to survive the war, fourth game I had finally adapted. Managed to hold back Kongo's army, found out I had iron pretty early because of early Bronze Working, immediately went for Iron Working and got a bunch of very early Swordsmen which just completely walked over Kongo and I conquered one of his cities. Made peace with him, meanwhile I'd noticed France had settled that great spot a bit to the west where I'd really wanted to settle. So I moved my Swordsmen over - France had no walls yet - and declared war the turn before entering medieval era. Easily conquered two of her cities, but she didn't want to give up a city she'd placed in between those cities and the coast in a peace deal, so I marched and took Paris about as easily as the others. She still didn't want to give up that other city, so I kept Paris.

Next, and this is where the game gets awesome, I get into a Golden Age, and so does (my friend/ally) Alexander at the other side of the three remaining French cities. Meanwhile France falls into a Dark Age. I move over Amani, give her the loyalty pressure promotion, get some bread and circuses going, and manage to flip all three French cities, eliminating her from the game without having to declare war again. Meanwhile, Kongo declares war on me (now in a Heroic Age; he fell into a Dark Age after losing the war to me) and actually manages to conquer back his city before I am ready to defend (right through a wall, for the record), but I manage to get it back and take another city that was in between my original and my French cities. I find out Kongo conquered Brussels on the east of his empire, so I declare war on him again and liberate it, weakening his total loyalty (at this point he has 4 total cities). There's some scuffling, several wars (even an emergency when he re-conquers Brussels; I actually liberated it again on the first turn of the emergency for 4k free gold), but he falls into a Dark Age while I get my second Golden Age in a row, and now I use bread and circuses, Amani, spies to pressure him with loyalty as much as possible. Meanwhile, while his cities near my border are barely holding out on loyalty, I conquer a city at the back of his empire, which flips his capital to a free city. I give back the city at the back (erasing warmonger penalties) and now I'm pressuring the size 15 city and in a few turns it's going to flip to me. As I know I will be getting into yet another Golden Age (already surpassed the threshold with the emergency completion and first fleet, corps, army, armada and plane in the world) AND the city has an Entertainment Complex, I think I will be able to pressure his other cities to join me as well, even if he gets out of his dark age. Which means that I'd own three quarters of my continent despite having 0 warmonger penalties with other leaders. Or, really, even playing that warlike. I conquered five cities total, and all in classical and medieval era (excluding of course the city I gave back).

Oh, one more thing though. Polders SUCK. Yes, their yields are very good, but in that huge empire I have there's like 5 spots for Polders, despite having three quarters of a standard map continent as coastline. They really need to soften the requirements somehow.

Top Bottom