1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Were you next to a Holy Site? Defenders get bonus strengh next to and on a Holy Site, so if you're even when attacking you have a big advantage when defending.

I don't know, in my game they're not really ahead, but they were boxed in by seas on one side, Australia on the other, and they lost some cities to the Sumerians at their last border (though they've later flipped those back when Sumeria started stringing two or three Dark Ages together).

2. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Weirdly I've seen Scotland conquered by AI enemies 3-4 games in a row.

3. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

So the AI also knows how dangerous they are. :p

Jewelrunna, Katakanja and Kimiimaro like this.
  4. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

I've seen Scotland twice and had one game where they were the most powerful AI civ and the other where they got trapped in a corner and had their cities flip to Brazil one by one. I think their effectiveness in the hands of the AI depends on whether they start off with access to a diverse supply of luxes or not - If they can get their cities ecstatic fast then they'll get a stranglehold on GS points and reap the benefits. Conversely in the game where they were eliminated via flipping, their little corner was fairly meh resource wise and Korea was also present in the game and seemed to be able to easily out-perform them in GS points.

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Finally get a chance to load my game. It isn't as bad as I feared. Robert the Bruce is at 72 science per turn at 27 techs researched, and I'm at 110.9 science per turn at 28 techs researched.

I'm not concerned about tech at this point, but I'm worried about losing to cultural victory. He's at 106 culture per turn and already has a good deal of tourists, and I'm at 48.5. I'll be building a lot of theater squares shortly, hopefully it's not too late.

6. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Chieftain

I have noticed the two historic moments listed in Wikipedia giving 0 era score (Battle Fought and Ship Sunk) actually don't appear in-game. What are they for in Wikipedia?

7. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Could they be some kind of trigger for generating archaeology sites and shipwrecks that occur behind the scenes and aren't meant to be seen by the player perhaps? :think:

8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Sounds like it has something to do with the Great General/Admiral historic moments.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Does Royal Society not work on spaceports? How do I get it to work? I have a builder with full charges (6 charges) sitting on the spaceport. I have a feeling I wasted building Royal Society government building (not that the others were useful to me).

edit: Oh it's district projects not districts. What a completely useless government building. Does anyone find a use for this?

I've managed to really scream through the tech tree like I never have before, and I think I got this game in the bag. I still have to build a lot of culture stuff in other cities to keep Scotland from getting a cultural victory. They just got out ahead and stayed there. Russia is in 2nd place stomping Poland right now. And yes they have taken 2 cities that had cities walls just now. And I am in 3rd place, not a place I'm used to being at this difficulty level (King). I'll still win, it's just strange being in 3rd place. I've managed to close the gap to 141 points though.

I did manage all that through no conquering of cities. It's good to know a pacifist run is still viable at least up to this difficulty level, but of course having OP science makes it easier.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  10. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

They can be used on the space victory projects, just not building district itself. That's presumably the intention.

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Oh, then that will work. And do I get more production for a 6 charge builder than a 4 charge builder?

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I believe they will use all their charges at once on a district project. The Royal Society was made for an easier Science victory since there is no other reason at this point to use them on other projects so late in the game, while the National Museum is for a Cultural Victory and War Department is for Domination Victory basically.
    Grand Master's Chapel could be seen as somewhat of a Religious Victory building the tier before.

13. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

I'm still confused as to why the science victory ought to be easier - it was easy to begin with.

I just stole a science victory in my Deity game I had no real right to win - multiple civs had reached Mars projects before I had a spaceport up, and two were potential culture victory contenders. Once my spaceport was up my main production city took 8 turns per project before I had Ecommerce. This time the AI was asleep with its spies - I never had spies killed on missions and never had my spaceport or industrial zone pillaged, and the Arabia AI wasn't using its Ruhr Valley city as its main space centre.

I did have to continually take out enemy spaceports - mostly with spies, but nukes were involved on a couple of occasions. And I didn't have the Royal Society because I wasn't expecting to go for a science victory. Don't get me wrong - that was the game where I've had to work hardest to win in Civ VI, but given that it was my first Deity game I'd naturally expect that. Science victory is nevertheless considerably easier to achieve - and with far less forward planning - than any other type (Domination may technically be easier, but is more tedious).

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Maybe it would have just felt unbalanced if you didn't give Civs a chance to construct a Science victory Govt. Plaza building while the other victory types had at least one dedicated to them already.

15. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Yeah you get a percent per charge or something like that.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  16. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I agree, I feel like the tier 2 and 3 government buildings need to be relooked at.

The 3 tier 3 buildings appear to be geared for 3 victory types; Natural History Museum for culture ; Royal Society for science, and War Department for Domination; butt I've used Natural History Museum just to get extra slots to put artwork in even if I'm not going for a cultural victory, it's always nice to have high culture in a core city where I already have a broadcast tower up, since it's unlikely I will grab any of the wonders with free art slots in higher difficulty play and it's more efficient than adding a new theatre district somewhere else. So my feeling is, those tier 3 buildings are usually picked based on my needs at the time, not necessarily my VC.

(tier 2) Foreign ministry should provide envoys and some other benefits rather than really crappy buffs on levied troops (it's just stronger to go intelligence agency for my tier 2 government building) ; In fact, I feel like Royal Society should take Foreign Ministry's place as a tier 2 building, and instead of allowing builders to use all their charges, perhaps allow it to give a random euraka on a late game tech, one time boost to science GP points, (or possibly a free pick as a scientific GP)

move foreign ministry as a tier 3 building, keep the levied troops benefit, but grant extra envoys and increase points earned per turn towards new envoys, or alternatively, increase number of envoys earned each time the bar is filled.

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Okay thanks. I'll keep public works then. I was hoping to change out of it since Scotland snagged Forbidden Palace and I don't have a lot of slots. I really want to run free market.

18. Eramas

Eramas Chieftain

It sucks that you can use only one builder per turn though.

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I sure do miss the reduced gold buying costs of great people with Democracy though. When Carl Sagan first came up his cost was 66,000 gold! I sure don't have that much, I'm only making close to 600 a turn. I'm wondering if it's cheaper to keep buying builders with royal society, or save up for that great scientist. He will eventually get cheaper as I'm getting 39 great scientist points a turn.

20. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Royal Society really does make it cheap. My last game, each 6-charge builder, combined with Pingala's bonus to space projects (they stack, maybe? I dunno) seemed to be giving about 1/4 of each space project. So 4 builders and a project is done, is an awful lot cheaper than buying a great scientist. Yeah, it takes 4 turns to complete, but still is a lot cheaper when builders at that point are probably only 600-800 gold each.