Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1st century AD legionary
Warry, J. (1995). Warfare in the Classical World. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.
Copyright 1995 Salamander Books Ltd.

Attachments

• legion_4_small.jpg
    legion_4_small.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 196
Auxiliaries of the early empire
Warry, J. (1995). Warfare in the Classical World. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press.

Attachments

• auxiliary_small.jpg
    auxiliary_small.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 240
The Roman army c AD 350

Attachments

• legion_5_small.jpg
    legion_5_small.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 197
Later Roman cavarly

Attachments

• cavalry_small.jpg
    cavalry_small.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 201
Just a quick suggestion. I know it's not like we don't already have enough new units but it would be really great to see a UU for Dacians with a falx blade.

@Gringo, thanks, I take note and will correct the pedia.
@Lovegun: nice pics, and glad to see we already have most of these units made here at CFC :)! The late cavalry, I guess a cataphract by all means, is impressive.
@Traianus: any image for that Dacian UU? If we decide to go for a last round of request, we better have a nice list and pictures handy.
@LionQ: no way, only the pedia text and art will change, but you need to restart a game for the BIQ changes to come in.
@All: any problem with the patch, or is everything going smoothly?

pinktilapia said:
@Traianus: any image for that Dacian UU? If we decide to go for a last round of request, we better have a nice list and pictures handy.
@All: any problem with the patch, or is everything going smoothly?

a dacian UU? :hmm:hum... I dont know very well that civ... :confused: but you could give them an unconquerable city such as sarmatia inferior so that in the late game they could be the Goths. They would be the first to test the eastern borders and when the Huns finally come, they could be allied to fight against the Huns (probably getting their butt kicked) It could make a kind of catalaunian battle (for those who dont know what it is, it's one of the last victories of the Western Roman Empire in which the Roman general Aetius was able to unite several invading barbarian tribes against the Huns by using their fear of them. The Goths, although they did fight as auxiliries on both sides, were one of the reason for the roman victory). In order for this to work, the UU could be a boosted tribe unit called Displaced tribes with HN (then again maybe we could forget HN for speed's sake) and with the tech timer 325-375 AC, give every nation the ability to make alliances or MPP (or both, needs testing). At that point, the only nations left would be Persia, Pontus (if you lack guts :D ), Numids/Vandals, Britannia, Germania, Dacians/Goths and Scythia/Huns. Of these nations, Persia would know Pontus and Rome (you could use Pontus as a buffer when Persia invades), Germania and Scythia are in locked alliances and would only know Pontus ( :mad: :mad: :mad: ), Goths (another buffer against Germania and Huns) and Rome (and perhaps Britannia). The others would be all alone ( no hope of alliances). This would create the kind of migration the Huns did as as soon as Germania declares war on you (or the contrary) they will too and then you can ally with the Goths to buy you time.
Dont be afraid to reread all of this a couple of time because I am under the impression that I'm not very clear :crazyeye: .
Anyway, this is an idea that could be developped
@ Pink :cry: a new patch!!, I had just started (well a week ago) a new 0.922 game. Anyways, I cant wait for version 1.0 :goodjob:

btw Pink, while I was dl the new patch, I noticed that the screenshots on the first pages where starting to become a bit old. Perhaps we should find new ones? ;)

captain beaver said:
btw Pink, while I was dl the new patch, I noticed that the screenshots on the first pages where starting to become a bit old. Perhaps we should find new ones? ;)

I can only repeat what I said many times before:

SCREENSHOTS ARE WELCOME!

Please post screenshots of your games. I will use a few of them (with credit) for the frontpage and the handbook, many others for an updated walkthough once Randy is back. BTW anybody with intense gaming experience with RFRE is very much welcome to work on that guide. Just let me know!

OOooo!!! A new patch!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Time to find out what new and interesting things Pink has planned for us! :rockon:

Well the download is done so you I wont been seeing you all for a few weeks... :cry: Why must you take my life away from me Pink? Why??? :lol:

Captain Beaver, your idea for simulating the Goths is excellent, although I'm not sure if some fine tuning might help, but indeed, I have been wanting to suggest such an addition, but had lacked the will to figure out a way to do it!! GOTHS are a MUST HAVE. The Goths are more important than Attila (because they were important before him and he was great by his use of the Goths!)

Yes, nice idea :). A pity tribes can't be renamed in the middle of the game.

If a goth civ get in, a large part of Southern Scythia, along the Black Sea coast, should be theirs as well, in addition to parts of Dacia. Maybe having a new Goth civ in Southern Scythia, while making a part of northern Dacia inconquerable for the Romans, but easy to conquer for the Goth once Dacia has been weakened. Thus, the Goths would grow into their historical areas (Visigoths, Ostrogoths) by the 4-5th AC. Allowing diplomacy is a good idea too in theory, but this will require testing as players can easily exploit this at their benefit.

I'll try to find pics of the falx warriors. If not, i'll take a photo of the episode of 'Life and Death in Rome' I recorded about the Dacian wars. It's basically a blade shaped like a boomerang on top of a short pole. Note: It's regarded as the only infantry weapon ever to directly influence Roman armour. Many Legionaries in the Dacian wars were fitted with extra long helmet backs and loricatus for their right arms to protect against the falx's lethal downstroke.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I thought this story was appropriate given the many hours that some people have been putting into RFRE.....

MAN DIES AFTER 49 HOURS OF COMPUTER GAMES
Associated Press, August 10, 2005
SEOUL, South Korea - A 28-year-old South Korean man died of exhaustion in an Internet cafe after playing computer games non-stop for 49 hours, South Korean police said Wednesday.

Lee, a resident in the southern city of Taegu who was identified only by his last name, collapsed Friday after having eaten minimally and not sleeping, refusing to leave his keyboard while he played the battle simulation game Starcraft. [How can they be sure it wasn't RFRE??????]

Lee was quickly moved to a hospital but died after a few hours, due to what doctors are presuming was a heart attack, police said.

Lee had been fired from his job last month because he kept missing work to play computer games, police said.

gringoesteban said:
Sorry for the threadjack, but I thought this story was appropriate given the many hours that some people have been putting into RFRE.....

MAN DIES AFTER 49 HOURS OF COMPUTER GAMES
Associated Press, August 10, 2005
SEOUL, South Korea - A 28-year-old South Korean man died of exhaustion in an Internet cafe after playing computer games non-stop for 49 hours, South Korean police said Wednesday.

Lee, a resident in the southern city of Taegu who was identified only by his last name, collapsed Friday after having eaten minimally and not sleeping, refusing to leave his keyboard while he played the battle simulation game Starcraft. [How can they be sure it wasn't RFRE??????]

Lee was quickly moved to a hospital but died after a few hours, due to what doctors are presuming was a heart attack, police said.

Lee had been fired from his job last month because he kept missing work to play computer games, police said.

Sad fact is I have played a mmorgp for a period of 42 hours... :( I passed out for a period of 23 hours... Didn't know where I was and what day it was. Scary, now that I think abou... it :eek:

Sorry to hijack this thread too. Seems them Koreans like there video games.South Koren man dies after 86 hours of gaming

I will make sure RFRE is forbidden to Koreans ;)
Gaias, I am going to put you on the black list too, it is for your own good, poor friend: 42 hours seating in front of a computer screen... you must wear glasses thick like a brick :eek:

Here's the photos I took of the Dacian falx warrior. Apologies for the quality but it's a dig.photo of a VCR on pause. I don't know if I should leave it posted for long as it's no doubt a copyright image.(SkyOne's 'Life and Death in Rome)
The blade would be swung in a figure-of-eight and then brought down at speed on to the head of the enemy. It could then be used to drag him to the ground. The images of this happening on the program were quite graphic!
I'll try to find something further on it later.

Could the Roman pikeman skin be used as skutatos, because I think it looks better...

First of all, it's a very nice mod. Very detailed, but...

1. It's only possible to play Roma. (Sure, for me, it's also possible activate all civ with the editor.)
2. And here I see your bad balanced settings: Try to play Epirotes. The Epirotes don't have any chance to win against Rome - historically unaccurate -, because they're unable to build units (in your mod). - ! - The Epirotes don't have only one (and not Roma) diplomatic contact.
3. In your mod, I find sometimes units of other nations somewhere else and bad placed.
4. The AI is important, because it's your opponent. And the AI is in your mod bad balanced. Your suggestion to only play with Roma don't show, that my roman opponents are underpowered and Roma is overpowered.
5. Research: The Romans has 275BC nice military and troop researchment, but it's unrealistic to build an detailed tech tree only for the Roma. In long games other nations don't have a chance against a human Roma.
6. Graphics - ! -: Your terrain and some units looks very weird. Look here: http://www.civforum.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=24117 (http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?t=10789)
7. Ports: Blockading ports is impossible in Civ, or unnecessary. Why you don't use port-resources in water, which get you a +20 or +30 trade, so when you blockade it, the empire lost much money? Instead of this, you have to reduce many other trade-bonuses of other resources.
8. Shipyard: Maybe an shipyard-resource for ship building?
9. Historical infos: Athenae was at 275BC very weakly; Athenae was some years ago at control of Macedonia. Sparta, Athenae were not strong enough as in your mod - and sure not allied.
10. AI Roma: Use Militaristic and Expansionistic
11. Germania: German territory is maybe too large. Look at some "Rome:Total War" Mods: www.twcenter.net

;)

Top Bottom