Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

Node60, several times I have confused the battleship upgrade path. Right now battleships are the end of the tech tree. I'm ok with this, but I think it is inconsistent that dreadnaughts can upgrade to the aircraft carriers. So, I simply do not upgrade my dreadnaughts and then upgrade them to the appropriate carrier when the time comes. When I make a ship of the line after battleships, it stays that way until cold war.

This is what confused me - the Admiral of the Fleet was updated first to the "Soviet Soyuz Class", then to aircraft carriers. However, the "Soviet Soyuz Class" did not want to upgrade to an aircraft carrier.

The main reason, why the battleships shouldn´t upgrade to aircraft carriers is, that the AI cannot handle carriers, but is much better to handle battleships (and dreadnoughts). With the autoproduced Admiral of the Fleet units and the normally produced dreadnoughts and battleships, all upgrading to units that the AI is not able to handle properly, the human player receives a very big additonal advantage in huge numbers over the AI.

On the other side there should be a historical limit until dreadnoughts and battleships can be produced. As these units also can be produced normally, the only limit can be drawn by another unit. In history, this limit line was drawn by the aircraft carrier. As the carrier cannot be handled properly by the AI, RARR is using the method of obsolescence (unit disappearing from the build queue) to avoid the additional big advantage for the human player.

The exploit ynot56 is using (spare the dreadnoughts as only the last unit in the upgrading chain is targeted by obsolescence) to receive another much bigger exploit by receiving carriers, cannot be stopped the way upgrading chains are working in Civ 3. A solution of that "inconsistance" could be to set the battleships no longer to obsolescence by the aircraft carriers, but by a museum ship, that is immobile and has an attack of zero and a defense of 1. Now the dreadnoughts can be saved to upgrade to those museum ships :devil: - but may be it is better to let it as it is, and give those who like to have this exploit the option to do it. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is a photomontage about the era 3 in a possible next version of RARR - but there is a longer time until it will come. The scenarios SOE and WW2 Global Gold will come first with their huge boost of units in the CCM 2.50 expansion, that is also needed for RARR.

Edit: Replaced the old screenshot of a photomontage about a possible new era 3 for RARR with a new one, as I have seen a good arrow connection from tech motion pictures to tech interwar period. This is one of the great advantages when working with photomontages in complex techtree concepts.

RARR-Era 3-new.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have made the start of the era cleaner. I assume I detect the steam road roller is with high explosives

I think you have made the start of the era cleaner. I assume I detect the steam road roller is with high explosives

:yup: Yes, and I tested if there is the room for more naval units in that era. The concept has shown that there would be even place to appear and to participate in the game for battlecruisers (tech mass production), advanced battlecruisers (tech interwar period), advanced predreadnoughts (tech internal combustion) upgrading to new pocket battleships (tech Interwar period), advanced light cruisers (tech internal combustion) upgrading to light cruisers WW2 (tech interwar period), torpedo boats (tech advanced metallurgy) upgrading to the still existing destroyers WW 1, advanced dreadnoughts with a better AA (upgrades, that are coming with tech interwar period from the normal dreadnoughts) and battleships WW2 (coming now a little bit earlier as in the current RARR when they appear in era 4).

The test of these additional naval units in that techtree is also important for my 'Age of Discovery' scenario spanning the time from 1500 to 2030 AD (what will be a mix of CCM and RARR and meanwhile 'Colonial Conquests' would be a better fitting name).

The tech total war was renamed to tech interwar period as this allows a fitting connection with tech motion pictures. The tech refining was added ( and the current tech refining be renamed to tech oil drilling) to give the early steam ships a little bit more place to work in the game. As in that historical period the development of new improvements for ships was very fast and those ships were frequently obsolete when they were commissioned, the space in the game for these ships unfortunately is still short. The techs compulsory education and espionage now have in my eyes better fitting places in the techtree.

I replaced the screenshot of the concept for RARR era 3 with a new one, as I have seen a good way for an arrow connection from tech motion pictures to tech interwar period, what I always intended to do, as in my eyes this is fitting and it gives the WW1 ships more time to participate in the game.

Last edited:
All sounds great. One question though, you have "advanced pre-dreadnaughts" with internal combustion. Wasn't that were the existing pre-dreadnaughts came in? Is there an earlier pre-dreadnaught? Pre-dreadnaughts have a pretty short lifespan as is, sometimes just one tech advance.

All sounds great. One question though, you have "advanced pre-dreadnaughts" with internal combustion. Wasn't that were the existing pre-dreadnaughts came in? Is there an earlier pre-dreadnaught? Pre-dreadnaughts have a pretty short lifespan as is, sometimes just one tech advance.

Early pre-dreadnoughts are coming now with tech steel hulls. Later pre-dreadnoughts are nearly identical to the early pre-dreadnoughts but have a little bit better weapons. They will have a marginal better attack value than the early pre-dreadnoughts, but the same defense values, so an early pre-dreadnought can sink an advanced pre-dreadnought, too. Early predreadnoughts can not be upgraded to advanced pre-dreadnoughts. Both are upgrading to pocket battleships.

There is no direct reason for introducing advanced pre-dreadnoughts, but there are a lot of wonderful ship units existing for both 'types' of predreadnoughts and why not using them, if they are available ? I made the photomontage with the techtree for German units (as I have the most knowledge about them). For pre-dreadnoughts this means; Early predreadnoughts: SMS Brandenburg Class ; advanced predreadnoughts: SMS Deutschland Class => both upgrading to pocket battleships: KM Deutschland Class (Graf Spee Class).

The 'distance' between early predreadnoughts and advanced predreadnoughts in the techtree are 6 techs (so in the game it will be much less, as some of those techs will be researched before the direct path to the early predreadnoughts is taken).

Last edited:
OK, you fooled me there. I thought pre-dreadnaughts were still going to upgrade to dreadnaughts, in my defense, it is hard to tell just from the picture of the tech tree. In the current version of RARR, you can go directly from "internal combustion", which is for the pre-dreadnaught to "mass production", which is the dreadnaught.

A tiny Civilopedia error: The civilopedia entry for Skyscraper says that you need at least three skyscrapers to build "Empire State Building", while the "Empire State Building" civilopedia entry states that you need at least five skyscrapers to build "Empire State Building.

Gmelchett, thank you very much for reporting that error that will be fixed with the next upload of the RARR textfiles. :) Three skyscrapers is the correct number.

The Industrial Age tech tree is looking very nice! Thumbs up to all the refinements and additions.:thumbsup:

And Thank You for continuing to update this classic!

When I try to upgrade the Airborne Ranger,or build the Green beret the game say the art files are missing and ctds.

The Industrial Age tech tree is looking very nice! Thumbs up to all the refinements and additions.:thumbsup:

And Thank You for continuing to update this classic!

Takeo, thank you very much for your kind words about the concept of a new techtree for era 3. :)

Hello. I tried the mod but got the cultural victory bug. Cultural loss turn 1. Even tried the game without cultural victroy on. Still some AI won a cultural victory :)

Attachments

• Bug.png
    Bug.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 50
Hello Loffas, until now such a bug for RARR was never reported before and even my search in the CFC modding forums about the term cultural victory bug was negative. So at present I cannot say what triggered that bug. What RARR biq and what civ did you play ? Did you do any changes to the biq especially before or during starting the game, especially in the game limits (per example setting the cultural victory limit to zero) ?

Game Limits.jpg

I saw a warning about touching the cultural settings when I was installing everything. I must have touched the settings when first trying it out. The warning was written by you :) https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/
Warning 1.png Warning.png Warning 2.png
Get the same problem with RARR1.7 extended and RARR 1.7.
I tried to raise the limits. The highest the game can have is culture limit 1 city: 50000 and Culture limit All Cities: 500000.The cultural victroy still kicks in turn 1.
Also the raised limit are not saved for the next time that I start upo the mod. But they are in use during the test.
Win.png
Is there a way that I can fix it. Change a file or something?
Thanks for the fast reply :)

View attachment 593214
Is there a way that I can fix it. Change a file or something?
Thanks for the fast reply :)

Your screenshot shows several 'issues' with your game:

Here I post screenshots, how the victory status screen should look when starting a game with RARR or with CCM 2.50:

RARR:

RARR-Victory Status.jpg

CCM 2.50:

CCM-Victory Status.jpg

Conclusions:

1. You have modded more than you did post. Neither RARR nor CCM 2.50 has a civ called Sweden. May be there are more things changed, triggering problems.

2. In your screenshot the Regicide option is activated. Neither RARR nor CCM should use that option, as the king flag in these mods is used for much better purposes (units, that cannot been built normally, but are available by upgrade). As neither RARR nor CCM have normal king units, this causes a sudden death of the player´s civ when ending turn one.

Deactivate this option and test, if now your RARR game passes turn one.

3. Your screenshot shows heavy distortions of the labels text file. This mostly happens, when playing with the spoiled Steam version of Civ 3 Complete and the Steam patch for the labels text file was not used.

4. Your changed cultural victory limits should only be a problem for CCM 2.50 and not for RARR, as only the cultural limits for CCM 2.50 were changed with the Quintillus editor (because the Firaxis editors are not able to set such high cultural scores as they are needed for CCM 2.50. Each great artist in CCM 2.50 provides 1000 or 2000 culture points to a city, triggering the city borders to level three). The cultural victory settings by the Quintillus editor are lost, when later changes in the biq were done with one of the Firaxis editors.

Fixes of the CCM 2.50 biq (named Conquest biq in the C3C mainfolder) must be done with the Quintillus editor or by reinstalling that biq.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own screenshot of the victory status shows, that there is also a small distortion showing the victory limit of 1,000 000 victory points. In the next version of CCM 2.50 and RARR I will set this limit to 999999 victory points. :)

Okey. I have tried abit. Reinstalled CCM 2.50, with the label file change, etc.
The thing is that I got CCM 2.50 to work before trying RRM. Now i get the same bug on both. I dont know what to do really. Maybe i could try a none-steam version instead.

Loffas, have you disabled both regicide options in the player setup when starting the RARR- or CCM-game as it is shown in that screenshot ?

Player Setup.jpg

Top Bottom