Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

While we are at it, I detected a small glitch in the field artillery animation. When it's in movement, we see the horse artillery animation.
Not a problem at all but as this mod aims for perfection, I thought I had to report it ;)
Thanks for your hard work !

PhilB, my installation of RARR (that is RARR 1.7) shows the correct run animation of the field artillery:

I don´t know by heart, if earlier versions of RARR here showed another animation, but in any case, the correct run animation of this unit is attached as a zip file at the bottom of this post.

Attachments

• Run.gif
    Run.gif
    215.2 KB · Views: 470
  • JFARun.zip
    258.1 KB · Views: 32
Oh, that's weird, I never noticed those horses in the FA. Maybe they don't show when standing still? I'll double check (the game and then my eyesight)

Oh, that's weird, I never noticed those horses in the FA. Maybe they don't show when standing still? I'll double check (the game and then my eyesight)

The run animation (during the movement) of that unit is the only one showing the horses. All other animations including the default animation (when the unit is standing still) are not showing the horses (as here they are separated from the gun and the crew). The default animation of that unit at least in the last version of RARR is correct, too.

I noticed a graphics nit today. When playing the Americans, I built a Lexington class carrier. The icon was for, I presume, the Lexington class battlecruiser, anyway, a surface combat ship with two funnels and four turrets. The stats were for the aircraft carrier, so...

ynot56, in my version of RARR 1.7 the Lexington class carrier is shown with its correct icons in the civilopedia:

The CCM2.50 expansion also holds the Lexington battlecruiser for CCM 2.50. The battlecruisers are a unit line, that isn´t integrated in the RARR mod due to a lack of space in the techtrees. It seems that you are seeing the, in the C3C expansion existing icons of the Lexington battlecruiser. Please have a look into the pediaiconsfile in your RARR textfolder, that there exists the entry shown in the following screenshot:

If you have here (for a not known reason) standing an entry for LexBC-LG or -SM, the images for the battlecruisers of the Lexington class, that were rebuilt to the aircraft carriers, will show up.

Attachments

• Lexington Class.jpg
    Lexington Class.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Lexington pediaicons.jpg
    Lexington pediaicons.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 438
Bugreport of current RARR version:
  • No bonus HP for Ghurkas:
Ghurka.png

• It seems that harbors are cheaper for Celts (REL/AGR):
Harbor.png

• In spite of Civilopedia entry, The Great Lighthouse doesn't increase speed of ships but instead allows city size 3:
The Great Lighthouse.png

• The game crashes after appearance of Kongo aegis cruisers due to wrong victory sound (should be Victory.wav rather that Victory_JAP.wav)
  • A minor error: wrong text in entry for barbarian vessels - they don't sink in ocean and they definitely aren't "ordinary galleys"!:viking:
Barbarian Vessels.png

Also, does lethal defence bombardment ever work, or this is another broken feature like more than 1 shot for defence bombardment? I've never seen it kill any unit...

Also, does lethal defence bombardment ever work, or this is another broken feature like more than 1 shot for defence bombardment? I've never seen it kill any unit...
As far as I know, the F=1 on the defensive free shot was deliberately programmed, not a bug.

But the AI rarely if ever makes attacks using a unit which has only 1 HP left. It does happen occasionally (e.g. I've seen it in the Sengoku conquest), but generally only when the attacking unit's A-value is significantly higher than the defending unit's D-value, and/or the attacker is a fast-unit (M>1), and/or the defending unit is also at 1-2 HP, and/or the AI really 'wants' to capture that town.

So the circumstances where scoring a hit with a lethal defensive volley is even possible will come up very rarely, thus making kills under these circumstances even rarer. But "rare" is not the same as impossible.

I have never seen a one hit point unit killed through defensive volley.

Ditto - BUT there a RNG ("Random Number Generator") which is, seemingly, embedded pretty much everywhere within the game. Or they could be coding glitches. :dunno:

I have never seen a one hit point unit killed through defensive volley.

Defensive bombardment can take away a maximum of one hitpoint (HP) of a unit. This means, it becomes more valuable, if the units are starting with less HPs - but mostly mods and scenarios have an inflation of HPs, reducing the value of defensive bombardment. In the SOE scenario there are more units with reduced HPs and blitz attack. The AI in this scenario frequently uses units with 1 remaining HP for attacks (mostly the second blitz attack of a unit to a stack) and if the stack contains a unit with lethal defensive bombardment, that wasn´t used yet, sometimes kills of the attacking units can be observed.

Defensive bombardment can take away a maximum of one hitpoint (HP) of a unit. This means, it becomes more valuable, if the units are starting with less HPs - but mostly mods and scenarios have an inflation of HPs, reducing the value of defensive bombardment. In the SOE scenario there are more units with reduced HPs and blitz attack. The AI in this scenario frequently uses units with 1 remaining HP for attacks (mostly the second blitz attack of a unit to a stack) and if the stack contains a unit with lethal defensive bombardment, that wasn´t used yet, sometimes kills of the attacking units can be observed.

AH! - Yes, I should have mentioned Lethal Bombard.

Belofon, thank you very much for your new error reports. :) I will check them when I have the time for it.

Belofon´s reports:

1. Game crashes after appearance of Kongo aegis cruisers due to wrong victory sound (should be Victory.wav rather that Victory_JAP.wav):

Belofon, thank you very much for reporting this error. :) It will be fixed with the next upload of the mainfiles. In the meantime the fixed INI for that unit is attached at the bottom of this post.

2. The Great Lighthouse doesn't increase speed of ships but instead allows city size 3:
Belofon, again thank you very much for reporting this error. :) The Great Lighthouse in RARR has the same settings as in RAR 1.04, but the civilopedia text still is from RAR version 1.02. I like the settings in RAR 1.02 for this GW better than the settings in RAR 1.04 (and RARR). In the next version of the RARR biq the settings for the Great Lighthouse will be like the settings in RAR 1.02 and shown in the civilopedia.

3. The civilopedia entry for the barbarian vessel, that they don't sink in ocean was wrong in the RAR versions 1.02 - 1.04 and therefore it is wrong in RARR, too. That entry will be fixed in the next upload of the mainfiles and the entry about "ordinary galleys" will be skipped.

4. Harbors are cheaper for Celts (REL/AGR): This is no error. In all versions of RAR (and therefore in RARR, too) the harbor among several traits has the agricultural trait.

5. No bonus HP for Ghurkas: This is no error. The Ghurka in RARR has the same settings as in all versions of RAR. It is a special unit in the pikemen row and all these pikemen don´t have additional hitpoints. The Ghurka in RARR (and RAR) isn´t a WWI or WWII unit, but an ancient no-firearm unit.

6. Lethal defensive bombardment: I made several checks of landunits with defensive bombardment and all units have the lethal land bombardment flag. As pointed out, the problem in RARR (and in RAR) as in many other mods and scenarios is the extensive use of additional hitpoints. Therefore defensive bombardment in RARR is less effective compared to mods and scenarios without these "tons of additional hitpoints".

Attachments

• Kongo Class (AEGIS).zip
    585 bytes · Views: 34
Lethal defensive bombardment: I made several checks of landunits with defensive bombardment and all units have the lethal land bombardment flag. As pointed out, the problem in RARR (and in RAR) as in many other mods and scenarios is the extensive use of additional hitpoints. Therefore defensive bombardment in RARR is less effective compared to mods and scenarios without these "tons of additional hitpoints".
Sure, but the problem of the defensive bombardment is not that situations when it can realy kill any unit are too rare but that when these situations happen, it doesn't kill any units. Not even attack animation is played.
Defense bombardment test.png

I've made a small test of defensive bombardment by sending 1-hp units to attack units with letal defensive bombardment. Of about 30 1-hp units none was killed by defensive bombardment.
Futhermore, while AI doesn't send 1-hp units to combat, I sometimes do this - and again, for all my RAR experience none of my units was ever killed by defensive bombardment.

Belofon, the setting of many landunits to defensive bombardment is a traditional setting of RAR and I didn´t want to chage it for that reason. If you want to play epic games without many landunits set to defensive bombardment, you could play per example CCM2. I fear, that in RARR here nothing can be improved.

A couple of random thoughts:

I sort of think that the Field Artillery unit should have a lethal naval bombardment. At this point in the tech tree, the guns should be sufficient to sink ships.

Laborer's are first available with Absolutism. This tech is about half the way through the medieval age, maybe a little closer to the end than the beginning, but close to the middle. There is no upgrade to worker units through the full industrial age and part of way into the modern age, not quite half the way through the modern age. This means the Laborer lasts almost 2 full ages. This seems like a relatively long time for a unit without an upgrade. I think it might be appropriate to have another worker unit between the Laborer and the Engineer. High Explosives seems like a good place and logically provides a rational for improved worker performance.

I think it might be appropriate to have another worker unit between the Laborer and the Engineer. High Explosives seems like a good place and logically provides a rational for improved worker performance.

In my eyes that´s a good reflection about an additional worker unit. :) In my mod CCM2, I have the steam road roller - my all-time favourite Civ 3 unit - exactly with tech explosives as the first of the 'superworkers'. But ynot56, did you have a look at the current RARR techtree ? There is no more place for an additional unit in the techbox of tech Explosives - and it´s no good idea to place any unit or the sign for the new worker job to another tech. Especially it´s no good idea to change the monitor to tech screw propeller. This means, when such a new worker unit will be added, another unit coming with tech Explosives must be taken out of the game. Steam road roller for siege artillery, is this worth it ?

About lethal naval bombardment for Field artillery: I have a certain faible for ships and I think, life for them at that historical age was difficult enough. There is no need in my eyes to make the bombardment of field artillery lethal for naval units.

Well, I wasn't sure how the additional units thingie works.

If not explosives, electricity?

Or the steam road roller for siege artillery is good too.

Well, it was a thought on the field artillery. Win some, lose some.

Top Bottom