1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Civinator, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

I'll tell you the situation that prompted me to think about lethal sea bombardment for field artillery. I was on a continent with a small inland sea, only about a couple dozen squares, but large enough to have harbors, ports, etc. I set up a city near a coastal barbarian encampment, it died, but the associated pirates remained, and in one of the sea spaces for my city. I really didn't want to build a ship that would serve no further purpose, so it took until mechanized warfare before I could bombard it to death.

2. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

I noticed something and I am not sure if it is just random chance or something else is at play.

My privateers seem to create new privateers at something between one third and one half the time.

As you progress up the privateer chain, to pirate frigate and then commerce raider, the creation of privateers seems greatly reduced. I though the, I think it is the "enslave" flag is set for all of them and I am curious if anyone else has noticed the same distribution of captures?

3. farawayagain

farawayagain Chieftain

What if I copy the "RARR1.7-extended.biq" file to the C3C mainfolder and rename it as "conquests.biq", then merge all RARR folders (Art, sounds, Text) with the same folders in C3C folder, and run "Civ3Conquests-Antal.exe". Will it work correctly as an _epic game_?
    Actually, I tried this, and yes, at first glance it works. It actually brought the "city view" icon back.
    But if there are any traps, that will broke the RARR gameplay? Who knows?
    scr0.png scr2.jpg

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

farawayagain, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

On principle this will work, as I modded CCM2 and RARR in a way that both hold the same enlarged luxury small icons file, that otherwise will cause crashes if there are additional luxury resources in the modded game. The city view in the standard C3C epic game is still activated, as in the C3C standard epic game the attached luxury small file is also covering the number of luxuries that are included in the standard epic C3C game.

You will only see a few additional graphics of RARR buildings in the city view, as these graphics are connected to the pediaicons entries of the original Civ 3 buildings. That´s why I had to use very different pediaicons entries for the buildings in the CCM 2 mod, per example BLDG_United_Nations, CULTURE 49 for showing the culture specific basilicas, mosques, hindu temples and so on in the city view. This means a RARR game as the C3C main file will only show these buildings, that have the same pediaicons entries as they have it in the Civ 3 Vanilla game.

There can occure an additional problem, if you will switch back your renamed conquests.biq in the C3C mainfile, as depending of the version of windows you are using, there can be a copy of that biq in the virtual store of your pc, that overwrites a newer version of the biq in the C3C mainfiles and in that case that biq in the virtual store must be renamed or deleted.

5. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

Civinator,
    I know you have a lot on your plate, but it seems as if there are a few changes to be made to the latest version of RARR and it seems as if few new issues are being discovered. With that in mind, do you have a projected time for the next/final revision of RARR?

6. Civinator

ynot56, I posted several times that I am not a factory and therefore I don´t have projected times for next versions of my mods, scenarios and even new stuff. At present the next versions of SOE and WW2 Global Gold are in the focus of my modding hobby and these are very massive projects.

I think for the mods RARR and CCM 2.50 at present it is more important, to watch the work of Flintlock in improving the C3C exe. Fixing the submarine bug and the stealth attack and now improving the C3C interface are a great progress for C3C.

7. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

I am sorry if I upset you in any way. I was only wondering if you had any idea. If you don't you don't, that's perfectly fair.

8. Civinator

ynot56, I´m not upset. Thank you very much for your interest in RARR. :)

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

@ynot56 - Based upon "knowing" @Civinator for close to 20 years ( :shifty: ... :old: ... :dance::band:) you can rest assured that I have never known him to be anything but straightforward, and kind ... So! - Truly, willkómmen! (For the record, I have no gift for languages beyond English, and can only hope that Certain Comrades can endure whatever plights and foibles lie deep, in the dark heart, of Google Translate :badcomp:.)

-:Dz

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Such as ‘willkommen’ being written without the stress? :p
    I think the creation of enslaved units is supposed to be at random.

11. Node60

Node60 Warlord

A small bug report. Russian HMG cannot be upgraded in Bazooka-Infantry. The unit has an upgrade flag in the editor, probably, the chain of upgrades is interrupted somewhere.

12. Civinator

Node60, thank you very much for reporting this error. :) In the RARR biq the upgrade box for that unit wasn´t tickled. With the current not intended setting this unit only becomes obsolete, but cannot be upgraded. I attache a screenshot about the fix.
    Spoiler :

Russian HMG.jpg

13. Node60

Node60 Warlord

FILE NOT FOUND

"Art\Units\Skory Class\Skory Class.INI"

In Game:

\Conquests\Art\Units\Skoryy Class

14. Civinator

Node60, one more time thank you very much for reporting this error. :) The error is fixed now for the next version of RARR.

Skoryy.jpg

As the release of the next version of RARR will last a longer time, as it is based on the next version of CCM 2.50 and this version adds over 1.000 -2000 new units to that C3C expansion for covering SOE, WW 2 Global Gold and some other projects, too, an easy fix of that error (so not the best as shown in the screenshot, as the name in the game would still be Skory) would be to change in the pediaicons file the following entry from Skory Class to Skoryy Class (pediaicons LG and SM images for the changed entry should be included in the current CCM2.50 expansion).

Easy Fix in Pediaicons.jpg

15. Node60

Node60 Warlord

"Sovietskiy Soyuz Class" cannot be upgraded in "Gorshkov Class".

16. Civinator

Node60, this time it is no error. It´s a harcoded problem in Civ 3, that when a unit simply becomes obsolet by disappearing from the build queue without the option of being upgraded, the civilopedia draws a hardcoded wrong link, that the unit can be upgraded. The only possibility against that hardcoded wrong upgrade entry, is to write a message about the wrong hardcoded link in the text box of the civilopedia - and that was done with the Sovietskiy Soyuz Class.

Sovietsky Soyuz.jpg

17. Node60

Node60 Warlord

OK, apologies, I was inconsiderate.

18. Civinator

Node60, I have to thank you for the great amount of correct error reports and your input to RARR. :)

19. ynot56

ynot56 Warlord

Node60, several times I have confused the battleship upgrade path. Right now battleships are the end of the tech tree. I'm ok with this, but I think it is inconsistent that dreadnaughts can upgrade to the aircraft carriers. So, I simply do not upgrade my dreadnaughts and then upgrade them to the appropriate carrier when the time comes. When I make a ship of the line after battleships, it stays that way until cold war.

20. Node60

Node60 Warlord

This is what confused me - the Admiral of the Fleet was updated first to the "Soviet Soyuz Class", then to aircraft carriers. However, the "Soviet Soyuz Class" did not want to upgrade to an aircraft carrier.