Rise of Mankind 2.8 torrents

This doesn't make any sense to me, this is the use case torrents were designed for; wherever zap is uploading from won't magically get faster because he's uploading to a fileserver. sure, it may seem like it's crawling along, but it would take just as long to upload somewhere else, then you add the time for everyone to download.

the way it is now, the extra capacity in the swarm is getting everyone caught up, and we'll all be at 100% the same time as the upload to the fileserver would have finished, and we'd only then be able to start.

I thought the point of torrents was to distribute files quicker. For example, If we have 10 peers, and 1 seed, and we name the peers A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J and the seed, Z.

Z gives 10% of the file to A, a different 10% to B, a different 10% to C, etc...
And A gets the other 90% from the other peers, and B get's the other 90% from other peer's , etc, and everyone gets the file really fast.

That's what torrents are meant to be ideally. Why this one isn't, is beyond me.

... either via an upload site or a torrent, we'd be limited to zappara's upload speed. With the torrent we can start downloading now and will have the file the moment the whole thing has been shared, and it will be more robust to download for everyone after that. Those of us who were logging in to the forums every day waiting for the file can get the torrent rolling, and by the time we all have it I suspect there will be an all singing, all dancing release topic!

My ISP doesn't allow bittorrent traffic between 6PM and 12AM (GMT) but apart from those hours my laptop is dedicated to bittorrent and can seed without limit. Can't wait to see the new release!

It isn't working BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY ONE SEED. The one seed has to upload everything simultaneously to everyone else, so it's going to go INSANELY slow. This is really beyond stupid.

Upload the file to megaupload or something, we can all download it in an hour, and then we can all be seeders and this harebrained scheme will actually work.

I love this mod, but I seriously can't understand how dense you'd have to be to just have one seeder and think anything would work.

That one seeder would need like a 100 megabyte connection to serve us all properly, and instead it sounds more like some random guy's home computer in Finland. Not gonna work.

This doesn't make any sense to me, this is the use case torrents were designed for; wherever zap is uploading from won't magically get faster because he's uploading to a fileserver. sure, it may seem like it's crawling along, but it would take just as long to upload somewhere else, then you add the time for everyone to download.

the way it is now, the extra capacity in the swarm is getting everyone caught up, and we'll all be at 100% the same time as the upload to the fileserver would have finished, and we'd only then be able to start.

Not sure I understand your comments correctly.
I never said anything about zappara's upload getting faster from uploading somewhere else.

I'm simply saying if more people had the full file to seed the torrent would move faster.
The amount of time it would take zappara to upload to mediafire plus the time for us to download from there would be less time for the torrent to finish downloading. ;)

Or, we could all disconnect, except for 1 or two people, so they would get the file really fast, then we would have more seeds.

... either via an upload site or a torrent, we'd be limited to zappara's upload speed.

Exactly.

Sure turning on super seeding may give an extra minor bit of efficiency, but for all I know, that'd be chewed up by waiting on an approval queue at one of these file sites.

the only reason going to a filehost might be faster otherwise, is if there's an evil isp that throttles like crazy, but I don't think that'd be the case, since zap is from finland, iirc.

it's fluctuating a lot for me. I have no seeders but 24 peers connected and it peaked at 500Kb/s! Now it's hovering around 25Kb/s..... sorry, 5 now. It's quite strange. I download other stuff quite a bit through torrents and usually keep a steady pace.

The amount of time it would take zappara to upload to mediafire plus the time for us to download from there would be less time for the torrent to finish downloading. ;)

I don't think that would be the case. in the parallel world where this is being uploaded to media fire, the upload is at the same percentage to media fire as it is in the torrent. when the media fire upload is finished, and it can be announced to go download, everyone in the torrent swarm is at 100%, and everyone in mediafire world is at 0%. how does that get me playing quicker? ;)

... either via an upload site or a torrent, we'd be limited to zappara's upload speed. With the torrent we can start downloading now and will have the file the moment the whole thing has been shared, and it will be more robust to download for everyone after that. Those of us who were logging in to the forums every day waiting for the file can get the torrent rolling, and by the time we all have it I suspect there will be an all singing, all dancing release topic!

Thats absolutely right. A torrent can also be re-posted in highly visited places like Mininova and Piratebay, so a whole new generation can stumble on the newest stuff, if it's presented well enough. Actually I am just thinking about doing this as soon as the torrent is finished...then we have the right number of seeders for the incoming rush demand! ;)

It isn't working BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY ONE SEED.

This swarm looks to have sufficient upload capacity that the leechers, not the seeds, are doing the heavy lifting. it may not be strictly enforced to only upload one copy of each piece by super seeding, but it's pretty close, since the pieces get distributed from leechers who have them to leechers who dont.

I don't think that would be the case.

It actually would take longer. Much longer. My ETA, given that I get a burst of maybe 1 megabyte every 5 minutes or so, is something like 6 days. That's 6 days of no one having it, and thereafter people can DL it faster.

OR the alternative...

It can't possibly take more than 3 hours to upload to an upload site, and then 2 hours for most of us to dl. Then we just put the rar in our torrent folders, and BLAMO we have 50 seeders, total time elapsed 6 hours.

I don't think that would be the case. in the parallel world where this is being uploaded to media fire, the upload is at the same percentage to media fire as it is in the torrent. when the media fire upload is finished, and it can be announced to go download, everyone in the torrent swarm is at 100%, and everyone in mediafire world is at 0%. how does that get me playing quicker? ;)

Good point. It is likely he can only upload to MediaFire at the same speed as the torrent upload.

On another note, something for zappara to consider is a different release strategy. Such as before releasing the file to the public, release the file to a few people who can seed the file as well as upload it to hosting sites, plus have it posted on torrrent sites (TPB, ISOHunt, Demonoid, Mini, etc..).
I'm willing to contribute however I can.

I'm just extrapolating, but at our current rate, we will have this done in another 26 hours... We clearly need to change something.

It can't possibly take more than 3 hours to upload to an upload site, and then 2 hours for most of us to dl. Then we just put the rar in our torrent folders, and BLAMO we have 50 seeders, total time elapsed 6 hours.

If it weren't that Zappara usually has to try several times to get the upload working at the freehosters in the first place, estimated time 12 hours perhaps? And then its corrupted again after a short time...

Hmm, okay another option...
I can set up an FTP for zappara to upload the file (multi RAR) to (If free hosters give him issues, connection drops).
I can then allow a few people access to the FTP, while I start seeding and uploading to other hosting sites, plus post the torrent on torrent sites!

Good idea??

I thought the point of torrents was to distribute files quicker. For example, If we have 10 peers, and 1 seed, and we name the peers A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J and the seed, Z.

Z gives 10% of the file to A, a different 10% to B, a different 10% to C, etc...
And A gets the other 90% from the other peers, and B get's the other 90% from other peer's , etc, and everyone gets the file really fast.

That's what torrents are meant to be ideally. Why this one isn't, is beyond me.

What you have described is Super-Seeding. What we have going on now, however, is that seed Z is simply trying to fill the requests of peers A,B,C,... etc., as it receives them, rather than prioritizing the distribution of pieces that no-one in the swarm has...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding

I sent Zap and Afforess a note about using drop box to get the files out to a few of us first before the torrent is released to allow for multiple seeds.

The issue with uploading to mediafire or the other sites ISN'T just upload speed -- somehow he's loosing the connection during the upload and having to restart the upload repeatedly (or the lost connection ends up corrupting the file). Another alternative I see is for Zap to break up 2.8 into 4-8 smaller Zip files (A-H) that he can upload sequentially and won't time out during the upload.

It's also like 3am in Finland right now (where I believe Zap lives) -- so I doubt anything is going to get resolved in the next few hours.

What you have described is Super-Seeding. What we have going on now, however, is that seed Z is simply trying to fill the requests of peers A,B,C,... etc., as it receives them, rather than prioritizing the distribution of pieces that no-one in the swarm has...

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding
/agree that enabling SuperSeeding would DEFINITELY help!

Oh and Zap --THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON 2.8!!!
And thanks for trying to find a new faster way to get this out to all us -- although we're all focused on troubleshooting, we definitely appreciate everything you do!!

Top Bottom