1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 feedback and bug reports

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Just like to say ... I have just started to play RoM ... what a great mod.

I've got another few years of enjoyment out of Civ IV ... who needs Civ V

2. Wodan

Wodan Deity

The main problem I have with it is with Revolutions... the AI doesn't really know how to minimize revolutions, it seems to me, and as a result it seems like every game is an inevitable splintering of even the successful AIs. Thus it ends up with me and 15+ small civs. It's not really a challenge unless I do something such as trade Monarchy to all the AIs early in the game (as a gift for free if they don't have anything to trade).

3. 1stcontact2035

1stcontact2035 Great Scientist

Apparently putting the mod in the Documents/...MODS directory is what causes the disappearing modules and maps. Same for A New Dawn. I was having troubles with A New Dawn, when it was originally in the program files/...mods directory, shifted it back over to where it was "supposed" to be, and nothing new in terms of functionality but half the maps disappeared on me and the modules didn't work. Same deal when I tried the same for Rise of Mankind. I then tried moving A New Dawn back to the program files/...mods folder... saved game fails to load, "file failed to uncompress" error. I hadn't gotten that far with Rise of Mankind.

But it seems that, on the one hand, moving it to the documents/...MODS folder doesn't solve anything. I tried this because someone had some panic attack over UAC and suggested that being in its happy zone would make everything right (they even said it worked for them... well glad for you, it wound up breaking the mod for me). So, moving it back is no option. You basically have to uninstall and reinstall BtS, perhaps Civ 4 entirely. Nice. Not saying that's a mod problem. Might be. Just saying that anyone out there who uses Windows 7, probably Vista as well, watch out for that one. Shifting the mod between those two folders will make the mod unplayable - or at least previous saves unplayable on that mod. I haven't tested out the mod yet to see that it works and will save games. I've really had it with either mod given the trouble its been between them to just get to a point of no return. If I can save others the trouble I've had, I feel better for what trouble I've gone through.

4. 1stcontact2035

1stcontact2035 Great Scientist

Yep... just tested. Game loads fine from fresh start. This tells me that there's something quirky with the documents/...MODS folder, my best guess is that the game has a special tag for mods that are in that location and all saves, modules, etc, get this tag when the mod is there... this would play all sorts of havoc on a whole host of things, among them moving the mod back to program files/...mods and then trying to pickup a saved game, since it would have this special tag that would make continuing playing impossible. Of course this is my educated guess without looking at the code itself. Perhaps someone can mod a hotfix for this situation? Can't be too difficult, if I'm right about the cause, just figure out a way to strip the tag from the code in whatever mod/savegames you want it to.

5. Mitya Todkosung

Mitya Todkosung Chieftain

Ok, this is driving me insane!

* I have installed Civ4 Gold (Civ4 & Warlords) and BtS with 3.19 patch in their own folder (that is, in the folder C:\Games rather than C:\Program Files).
    * I have downloaded RoM 2.9, RoM 2.91 patch and RoM 2.91 and have attempted to use all three of them.
    * I have no other mods installed except for those which came with the game.
    * I am running Windows 7x64

I am able to launch BtS just fine, and all other mods work fine, but whenever I try to load RoM it begins to load, but when it gets to "Loading XML (uncashed)" it crashes and gives an error message about GlobalDefines.xml and GlobalDefinesAlt.xml saying there is a parsing error with floating digits. I don't have any clue what's going on and I can't find a fix anywhere on the interwebs. PLEASE help!!

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Iirc I don't believe AND was ever recommended for the My Documents path over the C:program Files path. I know Zappara repeatedly said Don't put RoM in the My Documents path.

JosEPh

7. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

Hi there, I am having trouble with the German language, at least with the mega civ pack. It seems this is not ready for other languages, is it? Although, however, there are German language entries in the xml-Files, it just says "Tribe" instead of the civilizations' names. When creating a new game, the names of the new civs added through the mega civ pack are simply not there, there is just a blank gap.

Can you give me any hints on how to fix this myself maybe?

One last thing: When I start the game, I can switch it to German. However, after creating a new game, when I am inside of the real game, everything is in English again. If I then go to the language menu again, only English can be selected.

What's wrong here?

Cheers,
    Piru

8. Arkanw

Arkanw Chieftain

I keep crashing at this point, can I do anything to fix it, or is it a bug in the mod?

Attached Files:

9. traubibaer

traubibaer Chieftain

@zappara

RoM 2.92 crashes on my computer. RoM 2.91 works fine.
    But i have the Graphics-Problem with the shields (Site 9, Post 179).

Where can i fixed this bug in the RoM2.91-Folder?
    Which File have to be changed an what kind of changings have to added?

Thanks

10. kiwitt

Future development of RoM is now in A New Dawn

11. Nookie12

Nookie12 Chieftain

Playing RoM 2.92+ROME 3.1.0 and really enjoying my current game but...... After some turn all the game sound and music just dissapeared.. sometimes I hear some very quiet sounds of end turn.
    Don't know what can occure this problem but here's screenshot ! http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-933-90.html I haven't saw any other problems exept this one... And yes.. there's russian letters coz I have pirate civ4(no developer in Ukraine)

I already played 100+ turns with classic music playlist in winamp but there's no civ4 atmosphere in it anyway :cry: So help me pls =)

12. StomperTwo

StomperTwo Chieftain

I've downloaded RoM 2.91 and am running it on Windows 7 (64 bit). Whenever I load up RoM I have noticed that I am unable to select the giant or Gigantic map sizes. Blitz and Snail game speeds are also unavailable. When I check the Civilopedia, no new content seems to show up. Near as I can tell, I have installed RoM correctly (I downloaded the .rar file from this site, extracted it using 7-zip, and cut the RiseOfMankind2.91 file from my Downloads folder to the Beyond the Sword/mods directory) and Civ 4 is able to load the mod but the content remains unavailable. I have also tried running RoM - A New Dawn 1.75C, but Civ 4 is unable to get past loading the mod (if I remember correctly it gets to about 'Init XML (Uncached)' before I get a crash alert from Windows. Should I try running an earlier version of RoM or is there something I'm missing about how to actually install the mod?

13. kiwitt

14. hihi

hihi Chieftain

is this bug?

i m playing gient world map

version is 2.92.

but i can not play after AD 490.

there was no bug or stopping until now.

but i can not play anymore.

only there is this sentence.

"" waiting other cilivilzations... ""

and i can not click anything.

i m using win7 64bit.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

That is the "waiting for civilisations" bug. I am not sure how to get around it.

RoM is not active. You may want to try "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" or "Cavemen 2 Cosmos" as these are 'children' of Rise of mankind and are being actively worked on.

16. Lord_Stubby

Lord_Stubby Chieftain

I have a problem; playing with 50 Civs on a random archipelago map, biggest map size and marathon speed. My computer spec is good enough (I think) but every go or so, the game freezes (at the start of the go, or at the end) and it takes ageeeeees between go's. I'm still BC and each go is taking forever!
    Is this because there are 50 civs? Now 44, tried wiping a few out to make the game go quicker and that took ages. Oh, I can't enter World Builder without it freezing either, suggestions? Cheers :)

17. Dead-Eye

Dead-Eye Chieftain

50 civs in a game is unusual. In an advance game, it need too much time for a round. Too much time, so you can think, the game is freezed.
    My suggestion is to play up to 20 civs, if you not wanted any frustration. 30 is possible, but not recommended.

18. webtax

webtax Chieftain

got the waiting for civilization bug.. tried saving at that state and loading but no go
    wish i knew about RAND or c2c before starting this game :p

19. Sargatanus

Sargatanus Chieftain

I'm attempting to run RoM 2.91 in BtS, I followed the installation instructions correctly (multiple times at this point) but I'm still getting these XML Load errors. I've got everything in the correct spot and all the mods that BtS came with work fine. Is this because I'm running a Mac?

20. kiwitt