Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Mar 27, 2010.
Most of the buttons Vincentz has posted have been added to the next patch...
The god Zappara is BACK! Glory to the god of RoM! Glory, glory, glory!!!
Are you including the buttons and graphics I posted? i would like to stop supporting them
Welcome back, Zappara
The thing about Civ 5 is it will support milti-core, and that will mean ROM for Civ 5 will be amazing.
ROM for CIV 4 got me back into CIV, and I'm excited for the future!
it will only support eight cores
And? It is still multi-core . A lot faster than it is at present .
Just got attacked by a city raiderIII unit in 3000BC!
How about tying the city raider promos to siege advances? Like raiderII only with catapults, and raiderIII with trebuchet? Similarly, garrison with advances in either defensive techs like masonry, or with ranged attack advances like archery.
I think it'd be best if you can make battles more fun by adding Heroes or Hero-like promotions to great generals (The History of Three Kingdom mod has lots of interesting stuff), such as a hero who can raise the base strength of its soldiers, can safely withdraw from battle on defense (except cornered or in city), or can turn the leftover movement points into 30% temporary strength (to simulate mounted units' ability to charge).
Also, heroes/ generals can be detached from particular units, since a general would most likely not just control one unit of army for his entire life; the general has a chance of survival and returns safely back to the capital (similar to spies after completion of missions) when his army is defeated, rather than simply die with the army. After all, every general loses battles some times, and it is just too cruel if he cannot have a second chance.
Lastly, have more withdraw (both defense and offense) outcomes and promotions, so that not every fight is win-or-die.
P.S. love your mod, have been playing and following closely, and have been wanting to comment and many things but keep on forgeting my password
In Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn
In Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn.
I suggest you check it out.
Hehe, I love your modmod too. I am actually playing AND...but the great commander is not quite the same or go as deep into the revamp of the battle system of HoTK. Again, the particular promotions I named are some of the ones most interesting to me...think you can add some of it in? Another all-powerful promotion accessable to only 3 heroes in that game (which you could simulate by make it pre-req a LOT of other promotions) is the underdog promotion- you get 1-x% strength bonus, where x% is your combat odds before the promotion. That is, if you are engaging in a fight in which you only have 1% winning chance, you will get a 99% strength boost (which probably raises your odds to 20% ish)
Btw, Zappara, maybe you can make civilizations much more differentiated? In HoTK, the civilization traits are absolutely fundemental. Some can get great general points when any barbarian wins a fight anywhere in the world, some grands all archers a couple first strikes; one leader gets high diplomatic bonuses and more votes in UN, another grants all its mounted units defensive bonsues...all in all, very powerful and unique traits. Of course, there might be some balancing to do, since HoTK was not at all inclined to make a balanced game--historically, the various warlords were NOT "balanced" and some had serious advantages over ohters.
One more idea from the "random hero" feature of HoTK that's worth considering: have a decent sized pool of promotions that are very unique and/or fairly powerful like the ones afromentioned, and have only a few (one or two per each great general's level) available. Therefore, the generals become specialized and possibily really good to handle one situation but not the others, and not everyone will have the same promotions. Lastly, make generals capture-able?
I fully agree with making the Navy Seals a UU that replaces Special forces, rather than a UU that replaces early marines.
Any chance to add to RoM 3.00 this simple feature?
I saw it in different mod and it's just great thing. No longer negative effects of ancient buildings in modern times and modern civics!
For instance: slave market - with slavery and monarchy it works pretty well, but why to suffer from it with federal and liberal policies in future only because it was once built?
already included in AND mod-module for RoM. note that it restricts the ability of building construction by civics but does not work as obsolation as civics switch. however Afforess made something similar to the to the slave market (though there is no description of it).
You should definitely update the leaderheads, as I've done in this post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9226658&postcount=6
that's a good point. some graphical polishing for the final version would be nice.
I love Rise Of Mankind mod by Zap. I am using the older version, 2.8. I tried the 2.91. It is less realistic than 2.80.
Anyway, I was thinking about some things. One thing popped up in my head and according archaeologists that spears were invented before metal casting. Can Zap change that?
The earliest armies were consisted of these units:
1. Atlatl throwers (15,500 B.C.)
2. Javelin throwers
3. Archers (16,000 B.C.)
4. Warriors with stone axes, spears, slings, and cubs.
Then, The Bronze Age armies had:
3. Spearmen with secondary weapon, short sword. (using spears like pikes like in the Greek Phalanx)
5. sling throwers
7. Catapults with siege towers.
The Iron Age armies were consisted of:
1. Phalanx armed with short sword or spear
4. primitive flame throwers (not in use world wide. China and Greece used them on land or at sea)
5. Chemical warfare spray gun (used by the Greeks) It used the toxic chemical of a flower to effect horses.
6. Ballista units and catapults.
7. siege towers and etc.
That's on archaeological evidence. I just wanted Zap to know.
Oh yeah, last thing. I am a staunch Libertarian Liberal, an old school democrat like Thomas Jefferson. I strongly despise those Progressive Democrats and Progressive Republicans.
Yup. I find it extremely comforting that when I created a true representative republic and not a European socialist republic, not once I had none of my cities in Rise Of Mankind rebelling but yet as I read your guys' stories or watch your videos, Cities revolted under another form of government. Does that make you wonder?
Anyway, I apologize for being too political but that's what I feel and experienced.
The Romans also had these. I think the archaeological finds came from the Middle East. Nice looking ones too, but you probably wouldn't want to use one
I have no idea if ROM has these so far, as I've not gotten past the medieval era yet (stability issues! lol), but are minefields (improvement) or Mines and Naval Mines included in ROM?
If not, can they be added?
EDIT: Also, is there a way to get ROM to load straight away without having to load BtS and then click 'Load a Mod' ? It takes ages otherwise!!
lol. Carthaginian and Roman troops had mountaineer and snow shoes too. Is it amazing how advanced those ancient civilizations were although the technology and the material was limited.
I heard that the Romans had some altered type of the fast food places that we have today. Instead of cooked meats, They got fruits, breads, and vegetables at those places. Mostly finger food.
Separate names with a comma.