Rise of Mankind 3.0 (final version) design discussion

@Afforess, Do other non worker units cause the same problems? I think the Roman Legion unit used to build roads and forts also, for example. I will need to change my SubdueAnimals mod also, since I let both horses and elephant units build roads.

Yes, sorry. The BTS developers coded the game so that only non-combatants should be workers. Units that can attack and build will cause issues.

When you are updating units for the next version Zappara, please remove the ability for elephants to build roads, and remove the UNITAI_WORKER from them. It's one primary cause of the Waiting For bug.

Really?. I didn't notice it with my warlords. Is it only if they have worker AI or in general?
I also added the ability to build roads and tradeposts with the caravan. They are non attackers but have some strenght if I recall correctly.

How did you track down/discover the cause of the waiting bug?

Using his magic on my reported infinite loop with my AND log and savegame. He told me what caused it (you need to ask him how he did that exactly [interested, myself :D]). He told me about elephant riders and war elephants. I went into XML/Units and edited Unitinfos.xml to turn off the boolean value (1 changed to 0) for Worker AI and Build functions for both of these units, including their UUs. Then I booted my savegame and VOILA! Afforess' magic did it again and I could continue my game :D.

Using Visual Studio 2008, and watching the code. It took me 4 hours to track that worker bug down to a specific cause. ;)

Really?. I didn't notice it with my warlords. Is it only if they have worker AI or in general?
I also added the ability to build roads and tradeposts with the caravan. They are non attackers but have some strenght if I recall correctly.

Firaxis wrote the code for workers, assuming that workers always had no strength and couldn't fight. That assumption is what will cause Waiting For loops when you use units that can fight. The units work fine when the player is not at war, but when the player starts using the worker/military unit in war, it will try to build roads, then connect them to other cities; and because it's a military unit, it can find a "safe" path to a friendly city; but can't build a road because it's through enemy territory. A real non-combatant worker would be unable to find that path in the first place; which is why they work fine. (Plus, the AI doesn't send it's workers into enemy territory). Fixing the code would be a real pain, especially since Civ5 is 51 days away, and the fix is so simple...

@Afforess, Do other non worker units cause the same problems? I think the Roman Legion unit used to build roads and forts also, for example.<snip>

In RFRE the Legions can build forts, roads, and cottages (towns tended to spring up around legionary camps). This works fine for a human player, but in the brief period following the final split of the Empire the AI is left to control either the WRE or ERE, the problem is exposed. While the WRE is being overrun, the AI has the legions out doing work..

I haven't tried to fix it, but instead just create more baddies when the WRE.isHuman. I might try modifying the danger function that wakes workers up, but it's very low on the list. Or perhaps adding a check using isAtWar and baseCombatStr into the work evaluation code so that during war combat units can only build forts? The AI doesn't build very many forts, so that might be good enough.

How about worker promotions? Or is that something for Civ5?

Hey zappara.

Will there actually be a RoM3.0? Or are you done with it?

You don't post much anymore, and after 3+ years I imagine you're pretty tired of it all.

I want to say again personally that I very much appreciate what you have done. You've given me many, many hours of enjoyment. Thank You So Much. It's been a Great Time here on the RoM forum since RoM 0.8.

JosEPh :)

Hey zappara.

Will there actually be a RoM3.0? Or are you done with it?

You don't post much anymore, and after 3+ years I imagine you're pretty tired of it all.

I want to say again personally that I very much appreciate what you have done. You've given me many, many hours of enjoyment. Thank You So Much. It's been a Great Time here on the RoM forum since RoM 0.8.

JosEPh :)
I'm working on next patch (2.95) and I'm trying to get v3.0 out by the time Civ 5 is released (or soon after). It's been really hot summer here in Finland so I haven't been modding that much... when thinking complex stuff like RoM, I'd rather do it on cold winter than on hot summer days. Besides I need "vacation" from modding from time to time or it starts to feel like work and not as fun hobby. ;)

Take all the time you need, Zappara :)

First of all - thank you for your great mod. It enjoys me so much over years now. And its getting better and better.

But one thing I always missed - more civs and leaderheads. So in the past there was an extra megapack to download, but there were so many civs in there that my computer can hardly handle them. There are a lot of errors caused by this megapack (black terrain bug, long loading time ...) so is it possible to add or remove civs in a more modular way? So that you can choose maybe 20 civs out of a pool of 200 existing at the installation. The problem here is that the previously released megapacks always load all included new civs - thats overwhelming.

I've read in this forum about removing civs but that is very hard to do.

What I dream of is an installer like Afforess did with the AND modmod, where you can choose the civs you want (or maybe some civ packs you want if that is easier).

I really like variety and I cannot see Ragnar anymore :)

Edit: One Thing I forgot: Enjoy the summer!

Everything is just perfect. :goodjob:
All that needs to be done is maybe adding all those civs and leaderheads from the 2.8mega pack. ;)

Everything is just perfect. :goodjob:
All that needs to be done is maybe adding all those civs and leaderheads from the 2.8mega pack. ;)

Zap already said he was going to update that for 3.0. He probably won't be adding it to vanilla RoM due to computer requirements. Although, he should merge in the modular LHs in vanilla RoM (and whatever ones he wants to add for 3.0) into the main leaderhead files for decreased loading time.

Zap pretty much just has to finish adding pedia and strategy entries and replacing redundant buttons. As for the mega pack, he just has to add LHs to new civs to make sure they have at least 2 due to the Revolutions mod (as well as updating art, but that is a large task which is why we haven't seen one for 2.9).

First of all - thank you for your great mod. It enjoys me so much over years now. And its getting better and better.

But one thing I always missed - more civs and leaderheads. So in the past there was an extra megapack to download, but there were so many civs in there that my computer can hardly handle them. There are a lot of errors caused by this megapack (black terrain bug, long loading time ...) so is it possible to add or remove civs in a more modular way? So that you can choose maybe 20 civs out of a pool of 200 existing at the installation. The problem here is that the previously released megapacks always load all included new civs - thats overwhelming.

I've read in this forum about removing civs but that is very hard to do.

What I dream of is an installer like Afforess did with the AND modmod, where you can choose the civs you want (or maybe some civ packs you want if that is easier).

I really like variety and I cannot see Ragnar anymore :)

Wow, I like this idea too. Would it be possible to incorporate this modular approach to adding civs/leaders?

Hello there mate, greeting from Peru. Just registered to thank you and your staff (if you have one, if not DOUBLE thanks) because you just made a great game, the PERFECT game. We have a small community here and we all play your mod. Cant wait till you mod Civ5, the possibilities seem endless!

Just wanted to see that I like youre mod a lot Zappara. I play Rise of Mankind together with Afforess's New dawn and it is my favorite mod. Keep up with the good work.:goodjob:

Top Bottom