RLC#2. The Immortal Gandhi.

Played to 150 BC

Spoiler :

SIPED, nice second gem in the BFC.

Second city went west by cows, copper and wheat (no copper for Pericles)

Went for the Oracle around 1800 BC, grabbing COL
COL was nice for border pops and I wanted a fast GS for academy in the capitol.
This failed as first GP was a priest (settled in Delhi)

Failed to block Pericles who settled around me like a plague and messed up with my pretty dot-map.

Settled a jumbo city while teching construction and HBR.
Ofc Pericles culture trolled me during war preparation (stole my phants :cry:)

Anyways I eventually BURNED 3 cities of his before taking peace for Monarchy + conversion to confu (my current religion). The latter was probably not a smart move but :dunno:
Peri has horses but no metal atm :devil:

In the meantime I had a couple of WB sailing around and I met Tokugawa, with little space apparently and Peter, with whom I traded COL+HBR+Construction for Alpha, sailing and IW. (he must be happy with the bargain)

I am bleeding gold now without foreign trade routes (-4G at 0% research)
I will have to resort to Caste merchants.

I need to salvage my economy now by:
1. Settling an island city
2. Pillaging a few barb encampments
3. Teching currency

I'd like to tech Litterature first for an attempt at the Great Library but I am not sure if it's a good idea.
Marble is hooked and Lit is one tech away :yumyum:

Current Map
Spoiler :

Spoiler :
I didn't bother with ivory. Firstly as greeks had it. Secondly I used 13-15 axes with 2-3 spears and went straight for his capital. He has a size 2 pop city left in the northern waste. I do need to take him out now.

You have explored much better than me.

I built Oracle in my my wheat/copper/cows city. So i got my GS first.

No reason not to build Glib as it works nicely with your traits.

@ Gumbolt
Spoiler :
Yes I realized my army is slightly overkill. Could have gone without plants for sure.
Currency or Lit now dilemma...
Will you prioritize liberalism or astronomy?

I do find it very tempting to sneak a peek at shadow games. Its a temptation I've resisted so far but its always there. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to have a seperate thread for shadow games. Maybe something to be discussed at another time.

What can be discussed immediately is whether moving the warrior SW helps or hinders decision making:

Not faerie gold at all. Just surf n'turf.

blue pill / red pill?
Is your future already written like a script?
Why are you playing this game anyways?

:D

Until 400 AD

Spoiler :

SIP and went ag/bw and for Oracle. Settled 2nd city to the east by bronxe/cows and wheat. Hate creatice city spammers and Per sure qualifies. Was thinking about doing something about him but wanted to see 1st. After I oracled cur I was about to settle 3rd city by the pigs but of course he got his 3rd out there a couple of turns ahead. There and then his fate was sealed. Wanted to go for col/cs but now had to tech alpha as that idiot wasn't even close to alpa. Started pumping out lots of axes and declared around 600 BC with 15 of them. Took the pig city with few losses. Then I made a big mistake :( Settled my prophet in city instead of waiting to build hindu wonder in Athens after it was captured. Oh well. Sparta went with a few losses and Athens next. A real nice city which was extremely food rich. Let him live with his last city as the war had really hurt my tech rate. Got most of his techs even though sailing/meditation and hunting I couldn't get.Not I got col and cur and was trying to get my economy back on its feet but can only tech at 10%. Anyway after 10 turns of peace Pericles was no more. With my remaning 10 axes I went west to take a couple of barb cities. Not many that poped up on this continent though :(
So now I am trying to tech cs at 10% and I realised I am now alone on the continient so I have to expand and claim it for myself. Why?
I met Peter and Toku by boat and they look to be sharing their continent.
It wasn't pretty as Peter is dominating poor Toku. Well, as peter was my only trading partner(Toku never trades) I gave him alpa/curr and got contruction and calendar. Going to be such along game if there are several continents. Since Ai gets insane bonuses my hope is that I'll be able to settle the entire continent and slowly with 20+ cities get back in the game.

Some people say you play too fast.
Some people say you play too slow.

You play because you want to play the way you play
Unless someone shows you a better way to play.
That's why I'm playing this game.

Everyone's future is written like a script.
Free will is an illusion born of denial of fate.
You make the choice you were fated to make.

Played till 400AD

Spoiler :
Played 2X with different openings just for kicks. 1st time declared war on Greece for the simple reason of choking so I could expand freely. Pumped out settlers/workers/units while taking Oracle and got Feudalism as free tech (planned on Vassalizing some AIs but lol, only one!). Every city is cottage spamming (Capital/2nd bronze city exception) and I picked up CS very early. Took TGL and nice GPF going and could have Lib extremely soon if I wish. Seeing how we're isolated probably just gonna kill greece with Cuirs and head towards Democracy>Space. @ 400 AD I've got 370:science: with neg 15 :gold:.

2nd time I went straight for greece with Axe but missed on Oracle. I have 3 more cities @ 400 AD but my research/tech pace is much much slower.

The spirit of the valley does not die.
There lies the dark female;
in the realm of the dark female
lies the root of the universe.

Subtle and uninterrupted, it seems to last;
its function is never exhausted.

Maybe the days of 1000 posts before starting belong to a bygone era of lost innocence when civ 4 was young and still finding its feet.

In the absence of advice to the contrary I settled in place:

There I was chasing pots of faerie gold. In the immortal words of Dorothy "There's no place like home".

I don't think I've ever started an offline game with double gems. In case anyone was wondering this was the first start I 'rolled' and worldbuilder was not involved.

Counting up tiles in BFC we've got 2 gems, rice, 1FP, 4 grass (2 riverside), 6 plains, 4 grassland hills (ghills) and 2 plain hills (phills). 16 of these (everything except the 'specials') are covered in forest.

Its certainly a strong start. The next question is how to exploit it. We start with mysticism and mining. Agriculture will certainly be involved as will BW for chopping.

Ideas on how to exploit this for maximum benefit would be welcome. I'd reckon worker first is obvious and researching agric followed by BW but the best order to improve tiles will be a key issue (and of course a chance for our fast worker to strut his/her stuff).

An after thought at settling. I took the view that the game would not give just 2 resources at start.

I looked at the fog and noticed the grassland to the south of the capital. On this basis I moved the warrior south at start. The game rarely gives random grasslands on their own.

I then SIP. The city to the west with 3 food resources will make a good city anyway.

Ideas on how to exploit this for maximum benefit would be welcome. I'd reckon worker first is obvious and researching agric followed by BW but the best order to improve tiles will be a key issue (and of course a chance for our fast worker to strut his/her stuff).
Prechop on a move?

Like a roading on a move [mover worker one tile and building part road] - for fast worker on flat forests sometimes you can squeeze extra turn of prechop by moving on forest prechoping and let say moving on resource next turn.

Looks strong, very gambit-friendly start. Worst thing about high commerce tiles is the low production associated. To make up for it, you need to grow your city.
--> Worker improves Rice, southern gems, northern gems. That is 1 turn travel before improving any gems.
Then it can chop into worker/settler or farm the floodplains. 1 chop at least is probably welcome before farming. My guess is 2 chops are fine.

It's best to grow before working the mines (especially the hill one) and then stagnate. Best as well to be size 4 and have a farm on the floodplains when you stop stagnating.

i guess Oracle->CS with double gems is very attractive, but would tough to say how to do :)

what came to mind was delaying BW a bit ;-) in advance of writing to bulb math while teching CoL and BW.

i guess Oracle->CS with double gems is very attractive, but would tough to say how to do :)

what came to mind was delaying BW a bit ;-) in advance of writing to bulb math while teching CoL and BW.
Gutsy :p

Bulbing Maths is a sacrifice of a GP and much production in hiring the scientists.
Oracle-> Construction / Currency would put a lot less strain on Empire management and still be quite ambitious (compared to Oracle->CoL, for example). If skipping BW, Oracle-> Construction can be especially nice with all those forests. Provided there are neighbours, that is.
Problem without chops is that it will take forever to get the first settler out. 15 turns at size4 and 12 at size5 or with the FP farmed.

Oracle>CoL sounds a fine plan to make use of Gandhi's traits (swopping between slavery and caste as required). Not as ambitious as other slings so a lower chance of failure.

It would also be nice to get a settler out before Oracle and BW would help with that.

Obviously it all depends on the map, if I'm sandwiched between Monte and Shaka I may have to reconsider.

Gutsy :p

Bulbing Maths is a sacrifice of a GP and much production in hiring the scientists.
Oracle-> Construction / Currency would put a lot less strain on Empire management and still be quite ambitious (compared to Oracle->CoL, for example). If skipping BW, Oracle-> Construction can be especially nice with all those forests. Provided there are neighbours, that is.
Problem without chops is that it will take forever to get the first settler out. 15 turns at size4 and 12 at size5 or with the FP farmed.

back in the day it was considered as one of the strongest options for Oracle...interesting how things change ;-).

i guess you have room for size 3 settler and then straight library, run scientists with the plans of strong city 2 which will spam w/s for more expansion.

maybe waiting the first x turns of teching agriculture and scouting can help with the decision (for example no good city 2 spot will shift towards not risking oracle->cs because capital will have more s/w duty)

I'm guessing as a minimum no-one would argue against starting with worker, agric regardless of subsequent choices. I'd agree that even a bit of exploration can make a lot of difference at this stage.

I'm debating if I should explore south at this stage (because its the kind of thing I forget to do for ages) or look where the river goes northwards.

I'm guessing as a minimum no-one would argue against starting with worker, agric regardless of subsequent choices. I'd agree that even a bit of exploration can make a lot of difference at this stage.

I'm debating if I should explore south at this stage (because its the kind of thing I forget to do for ages) or look where the river goes northwards.

the south will be revealed with border pops...you will most probably not see the sea food there, but it's not important now, because south expansion is bad way

1) you don't have fishing
2) you want to expand towards AI especially if you want to invest into oracle (and maybe the library for the bulb of math)

@Gumbolt. I assume you moved warrior SE putting it S of settler to reveal southern 3 tiles of SIP BFC (ain't abbreviations wonderful, translation available on request). In retrospect this would have been a stronger opening move because its usually better to find reasons to stay put rather than reasons to lose turns moving.

@vranasm. You're right that a southern overlap city is not a good candidate for second city. I'll just have to remember to check south at a later stage.

Bear in mind that if you do oracle caste system, you can grab 3 quick great merchants while slow teching construction and building warrior*, then connect metal and use the 3*1300 = 3900 trade mission gold to upgrade the warriors for a 20+ stack around 1000BC. The excess gold leftover plus gold from city capture should then tie you over to currency and with some luck feudalism.

Top Bottom