RoM Latest Version

zappara,

For my WINXP Home system :-

ROM 2.4 + patch 2.41 + beta patch 2.5 + beta patch 2.501 + patch 2.5 + patch 2.51 = OK ( extra civs and can play on Gigantic map size ) seems to work fine.

However just downloaded and used the standalone Megapack 2.5 and get "runtime error" with CTD when attempting to start the mod. ( I deleted the old ROM folder before loading the Megapack ).

To play your mod I have reverted to the base ROM 2.4 with the patches added on cumulatively to reach version 2.51.

Therefore there seems to be some differences between the original ROM + cumulative patches and the Megaopack which is causing the Megapack not to work.

DavidR

i guess that megapack simply adds too much in the mod and most of the computers can't run it well, i wonder how good computer is needed for 50 civs and giant map.. :D

Perhaps Zappara should create a set of minimum requirements to run ROM.

Perhaps Zappara should create a set of minimum requirements to run ROM.

Good idea, the one without the addon civs runs perfectly well on my computer even on a giant map with 20 civs. But the addon Rise of Mankind always gets memory errors on anything bigger than small maps. So long as he keeps the option of downloading Rise of Mankind and Rise of Mankind with addon civs as seperate, I am happy.

it isnt minimum requirements. My pc is very high spec and should be able to run it just fine. Something else is at play here.

quad 4 extreme cpu, 2 gig ram, sli 8800 gtx. and the rest is just as good.

I was able to run previous instalations on max and with gigantic maps no problem. The only change is the addition of the extra civs in the megapack. Thats doing something.

I downloaded and installed the winzip version of the Megapack Mod as shown in the link by Afforess dated 29th Dec in the dowload comments page.

Originally I was getting "runtime errors" with the 7z version of the Megapack Mod 2.51 when trying to use the Mod with extra civs on Giant / Gigantic mapsizes

I don't kow if this is a fluke or just a temporary glitch but using this winzip version I can now play with the extra civs and Giant / Gigantic maps.

Davidr

Therefore there seems to be some differences between the original ROM + cumulative patches and the Megaopack which is causing the Megapack not to work.

DavidR
There is no differencies, just more civs in mega pack. The mega pack works in 1.7GHz, 750RAM, 256MB video ram computer (I've tested it) but on this kind of computer you'll end up getting MAF when you reach industrial era. The problems people are having with mega pack is related to unpacking the packed file correctly. I've downloaded and unpacked the mega pack (7z file) to several computers now, so there's no problems with it.

7z files can be unpacked with 7-Zip program which can be downloaded from http://www.7-zip.org.

Zappara,

Can an alternate .dll for number of CIVs allowed (back to the default 18) be used with the current version of RoM without breaking it? Would this help mitigate the MAF problem?

JosEPh

Zappara,

Can an alternate .dll for number of CIVs allowed (back to the default 18) be used with the current version of RoM without breaking it? Would this help mitigate the MAF problem?

JosEPh
Hmm, I wouldn't use default DLL with RoM as that would break bombardment code and revolution component and probably some others as well... but I'd think it might be safe to use DLL from RoM 2.4, it would limit the max amount of civs to 34 but that leaves you without some bug fixes that were added to better bts AI, revolutionDCM etc.

if ur computer can't handle many AI Civs, u just need to be a little more aggressive and destroy them? :p

For any one who wants to limit the number of civs in the game. In Revolution.ini file there is a setting "MaxCivs=-1" -1 means the DLL limit i.e. 50 civs. Change this to any number you like and the civs will be limited to this number. This means that once you hit the number specified no more civs will be spawned neither by barbarians nor by rebels.

it isnt minimum requirements. My pc is very high spec and should be able to run it just fine. Something else is at play here.

quad 4 extreme cpu, 2 gig ram, sli 8800 gtx. and the rest is just as good.

I was able to run previous instalations on max and with gigantic maps no problem. The only change is the addition of the extra civs in the megapack. Thats doing something.

I think you're right, and wrong. It's always been clear that the extra civ pack has a BIG effect. BUT, your high spec rig has one critical issue - the RAM. Only 2 GB is not likely to be enough for big maps and many civs with the extra pack. Hell, even my laptop has 2 GB RAM, and it can't even touch your processing power. And cIV has clear issues with poor memory management even without the mod in the late game. The desktop I aim to get soon will have 4 GB, and I really expect that to make a far bigger difference than the faster CPU or GPU will.

I think you're right, and wrong. It's always been clear that the extra civ pack has a BIG effect. BUT, your high spec rig has one critical issue - the RAM. Only 2 GB is not likely to be enough for big maps and many civs with the extra pack. Hell, even my laptop has 2 GB RAM, and it can't even touch your processing power. And cIV has clear issues with poor memory management even without the mod in the late game. The desktop I aim to get soon will have 4 GB, and I really expect that to make a far bigger difference than the faster CPU or GPU will.

I did consider this which is why I added 2 more gigs this morning. (hey its only 29 pounds at the moment). I hadn't bothered before due to lmitied gain expected due to XP's sucky addressing and being ambivalent about sidegrading to vista 64.

I then spent some time messing about with /3G and /userva to try and esure that as much memory as I can manage is added.

Anyway, no change. The total real ram available is only 2,814 mb since XP cant address more than 4 gig and my video cards use a fair bit of address space. Nonetheless I would have expected some difference. At least to be able to go from huge to giant since I did increase my 'effective' ram by about 40%.

Also bear in mind that with 2.5 with no extra civs I am able to use gigantic maps without problems.

To recap, the present situation is: 2.5 with no extra civs - can use any map size, doesnt need 3G set, and worked with 2 gigs ram.

2.51 with extra civs: without /3G was not loading with large maps. With /3G works with up to huge maps. With 2,814 rather than 2,096 mb ram makes no difference, still wont load bigger than huge.

Obviously this is for my system only. I have a laptop running vista 32 and will push it to vista 64 (I had ordered it with 64 but they supplied it with 32 anyway) and see what happens. That may take a while though as dell need to post me the disk they should have included with it.

Aurore

Hey guys,
as I just bought a new pc myself I want to share my experience with you. I didnt know that my brother had bought vista 64 bit, thus I only ordered 2 GB Ram with my new pc.
Anyway hese are my specs:
NEW:
Pentium Core Duo 3 Ghz;
ATI HD4850 512 Mb,
2 GB RAM,
Vista 64.

Old:
Centrino Mobile 1,7 Ghz,
ATI Mobility Radeon X600 128 Mb,
2 GB RAM,
Win XP

So there is no change in RAM (more or less), but the game runs smooth and faster than ever. Especially the turns late in the game go very fat. I just finished a game of ROM in just over 8 hours. Before it took me like two days. Couple of crashes, but I blame Bill Gates for that, Vista still has some problems.
Hope this helps a bit understanding. I am quite surprised of how much is done by graphic card and/or processor...

For any one who wants to limit the number of civs in the game. In Revolution.ini file there is a setting "MaxCivs=-1" -1 means the DLL limit i.e. 50 civs. Change this to any number you like and the civs will be limited to this number. This means that once you hit the number specified no more civs will be spawned neither by barbarians nor by rebels.

Kali, Zap, anyone else,

Will this work even if you don't use the REVMOD?

I know REV is part of the Mod but if you don't activate it does it still influence the Mod?

Is there also by chance a .ini in BarbCiv mod too that would need adjusted?

JosEPh

@JosEPh_II

If you turn Rev off then you don't actually need this setting at all. You will only have the default number of civs as per the map size or scenario if you are playing one. You can also set the number of civs in the custom game page as you like. Without Barbarians or rebels spawning new civs the game will have the same number of them unless some are killed with time of course.

A shorter answer, No Rev won't affect the game if it is turned off.

Hello everyone. Well back from the holidays, and major crash season in the game. I recently got a new Geforce 9600 GT and now hold 8GB RAM. I was recommended and I myself thought my previous hardware was the problem as I kept crashing late into the game. However now that I have gotten well enough into the Industrial Era on ROM 2.5 it crashed again. I played the 23 civs huge earth map and was hoping for some help.

Thanks.

P.S. Also there are two small bugs, there's no unique galleon unit for the Spanish Civ, its actually just a Galleon, and I am only allowed to found one religion even though I've researched many others before anyone.

Lidrev,

The second one about Religion is a Design feature. There is now a feature that only allows a player or AI to establish 1 religion. It's listed on the red/green list at game start up.

Kali/zap, Since I don't play Rev (not selected at game start up) but do play BarbCiv, I do set the # of starting Civs (usually 9), and Start as minor civ then the CTD/MAF I'm experiencing is a system problem not a Mod problem?

I didn't have this MAF until I patched to 2.51. 2.4Full to 2.41 to 2.501beta to 2.502beta did not have this problem. 2.5 was fine too up to the 1700's where I stopped playing it to start this new game with the 2.51 patch.

Maybe RoM has just outstripped my compy's ability?

JosEPh

Kali/zap, Since I don't play Rev (not selected at game start up) but do play BarbCiv, I do set the # of starting Civs (usually 9), and Start as minor civ then the CTD/MAF I'm experiencing is a system problem not a Mod problem?

I didn't have this MAF until I patched to 2.51. 2.4Full to 2.41 to 2.501beta to 2.502beta did not have this problem. 2.5 was fine too up to the 1700's where I stopped playing it to start this new game with the 2.51 patch.

Maybe RoM has just outstripped my compy's ability?

JosEPh
Easiest way to solve this would be to look at logs after the crash and see if there's anything odd so if you can post the logs I can take look at them.

I try. But I'll need to review the thread on how to get the logs.

I also incorporated the \3GB Switch in the Boot.ini of my computer. We'll see if it helps or not.

JosEPh

Top Bottom